PDA

View Full Version : Yet anoher prospect list

Daver
01-29-2003, 10:32 PM
This one is from Baseballprimer.com,only this one is the top 50 as opposed to the top 100,and gets a little more descriptive.

#15) Joe Borchard

Chicago White Sox

Pos: CF/RF

Bats: Switch

The White Sox lured Joe Borchard away from quarterbacking Stanford and a future in the NFL with a gigantic $5.3 million dollar bonus after they drafted him with their first round pick in 2000.

Though Borchard has performed well everywhere he has played, his development has not been as fast as the White Sox were hoping. That said, he is still a major part of their future plans.

Borchard 2002 season was stalled when he broke a bone in his foot during spring training. He recovered very quickly and was still able to play almost entire season (133 games) in Triple-A and even got a few at bats with the White Sox in September.

A switch-hitter, Borchard shows tremendous power from both sides of the plate and along with that comes a ton of strikeouts. He whiffed 158 times in 2001 and 139 times in 133 games last season. He also doesn’t walk a tremendous amount.

Defensively, Borchard will be tried as a centerfielder, but is more likely headed for a career in one of the corners and is probably best suited for right field because of his throwing arm, although that position is filled in Chicago for the foreseeable future.

Chicago may give him a chance to play right away in 2003 as their starting centerfielder and, if not, Borchard will be called up soon enough. Borchard has as much power potential as anyone and if he can learn to make a little more contact or draw a few more walks, he can be a hell of a player.

The top 50 (http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/gleeman_2003-01-27_0.shtml)

MarkEdward
01-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by daver

The top 50 (http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/gleeman_2003-01-27_0.shtml)

The last two prospect lists I've seen (Primer's and Prospectus') don't even have Kris Honel listed. I know he's only pitched in low-A ball, but he did put up damn good numbers, and is highly touted by scouts. He may not be one of the ten best in the nation, but he deserves a bit more respect.

Daver
01-29-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
The last two prospect lists I've seen (Primer's and Prospectus') don't even have Kris Honel listed. I know he's only pitched in low-A ball, but he did put up damn good numbers, and is highly touted by scouts. He may not be one of the ten best in the nation, but he deserves a bit more respect.

I didn't agree with a lot of BP's prospect list,there are more than a few question marks there.

This may have a lot to do with the fact that I do not give stats as much credence as many others do.

gogosoxgogo
01-29-2003, 11:22 PM
I think this is a more realistic position for Borchard than #2 or whatever prospectus had him at.

RichH55
01-30-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I think this is a more realistic position for Borchard than #2 or whatever prospectus had him at.

When they say things like Mickey Mantle, Mark McGwire power, Switch Hitter, Huge Arm......that is saying something, no?

kermittheefrog
01-30-2003, 02:34 AM
I don't think Honel should be on anyone's top 40-50 prospects. No pitching prospect in low A-ball belongs on a top 50 list without ridiculous pedigree.

RichH55
01-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I don't think Honel should be on anyone's top 40-50 prospects. No pitching prospect in low A-ball belongs on a top 50 list without ridiculous pedigree.

Perhaps this would be an oppurtunity for the publishers out there to put out a lower minors list as well.....lord knows the market is out there for it

stingo
01-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Geesh. A lot of twins and Jndians on that list. For a while there it seemed like every club was handing the indians their best prospect. Shapiro must have a lot of blackmail material on people in the biz.

gogosoxgogo
01-30-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
When they say things like Mickey Mantle, Mark McGwire power, Switch Hitter, Huge Arm......that is saying something, no?

Until he shows me some plate discipline, he won't be much in the majors.

RichH55
01-31-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Until he shows me some plate discipline, he won't be much in the majors.

Does it have to be specifically you? Or what if he K's 150 times(oh the humanity) and hits 45 HR...is that good enough for you?

baggio202
01-31-2003, 02:26 AM
Does it have to be specifically you? Or what if he K's 150 times(oh the humanity) and hits 45 HR...is that good enough for you?

if borchard could hit 45 homers he could strike out 300 times for all i care :smile:

RichH55
01-31-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
if borchard could hit 45 homers he could strike out 300 times for all i care :smile:

Well he has that kind of power, even without the mythical plate discipline, which I take to mean he strikes out too often......Granted I'd love to see him raise his walk total and I think some Triple A time(say to the All Star Break) would help, but I really don't have that much of a problem with a large amount of strikeouts, its not like we are the Brewers where everyone strikes out

baggio202
01-31-2003, 03:49 AM
Well he has that kind of power, even without the mythical plate discipline, which I take to mean he strikes out too often......Granted I'd love to see him raise his walk total and I think some Triple A time(say to the All Star Break) would help, but I really don't have that much of a problem with a large amount of strikeouts, its not like we are the Brewers where everyone strikes out

good point...we are pretty much a contact team anyways..our top power hitters - frank , maggs and paulie dont come close to striking out like jim thome or richie sexson does...so having one guy like that in the line up if he could produce huge hr numbers would be fine..especially if most of them came from the left side since almost all of our power is right handed..

im really hoping that joe opens up in CF for us this year..he was compared to adam dunn in the minors...dunn is 23 , a year younger than joe , and has already hit the majors..at 24 if joe has the talent that we have been led to believe then its time to see it up close imo...

hold2dibber
01-31-2003, 10:09 AM
To me, plate discipline doesn't mean only cutting down on strike outs, it means taking walks and, even more importantly, not swinging at pitches you can' t do anything with. I don't think anybody would be happy if Joe hit 45 homers, but struck out 220 times and hit .205. Those are Rob Deer or Russell Branyon numbers. I, for one, am hoping he's a lot better than Rob Deer or Russell Branyon. I don't care if he strikes out a lot (Thome strikes out a lot), but to be the impact player we all hope he will be, he will have to draw more walks and be more selective generally.

Does anyone have a feel for whether the Sox' hitting instructors have the talent/know how to teach those skills? In light of CLee's huge break through in this area, and the fact that Maggs and Frank are pretty darn selective, I'm hopeful.

maurice
01-31-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't think anybody would be happy if Joe hit 45 homers, but struck out 220 times and hit .205.

Daver might. :D:

Does anyone have a feel for whether the Sox' hitting instructors have the talent/know how to teach those skills? In light of CLee's huge break through in this area, and the fact that Maggs and Frank are pretty darn selective, I'm hopeful.

Well, IIRC, CLee credited his increased patience to working with JM, so that's not very encouraging. Hurt doesn't work well with the Sox recent hitting instructors (as opposed to Walt H). Paulie doesn't post big walk totals and his hype as a prospect had him becoming a top power hitter in the majors irrespective of his hitting instructor, but that hasn't happened. I guess the most encouraging player would be Maggs, who went from non-prospect to all-star with the Sox (non-Walt) htiting instructors. Then again, nobody credits the Dodger's hitting instructors for Mike Piazza's similar career path.

It seems to me that the Sox instructors focus on driving the ball to the gaps, rather than pulling homers, drawing walks, or slapping singles. Seems to be working fine (with the notable exception of Slappy).

guillen4life13
01-31-2003, 08:26 PM
I am definitely NOT okay with this guy hitting 45 home runs if his K totals are astronomical (that reminds me much of a man wearing #21 in the urinal 81 out of 162 times a year) hitter. He is extremely talented, but if he can raise his BA just a bit, and start to even out his K/BB totals, he could be an awesome force. As of now, that .380 OBP that was mentioned during the past season that was expected of Borchard, to me seems unreal if he K's at this rate. Let him get some AAA in, and when he comes up, make sure the Sox staff doesn't screw him over.

RichH55
01-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I am definitely NOT okay with this guy hitting 45 home runs if his K totals are astronomical (that reminds me much of a man wearing #21 in the urinal 81 out of 162 times a year) hitter. He is extremely talented, but if he can raise his BA just a bit, and start to even out his K/BB totals, he could be an awesome force. As of now, that .380 OBP that was mentioned during the past season that was expected of Borchard, to me seems unreal if he K's at this rate. Let him get some AAA in, and when he comes up, make sure the Sox staff doesn't screw him over.

Honestly....I don't care that much about K's.....I'd love to see him raise his BA and Walk Totals...but if he makes every out he is going to make in the form of a K then so be it