PDA

View Full Version : Why all the moves JR?

gogosoxgogo
01-29-2003, 09:01 PM
I know I may be a bit optimistic here, but I think he's finally starting to realize that if he puts a good team on the field, the fans will then come. Not vice-versa.

In the immediate aftermath of acquiring Colon from Montreal earlier this month, ticket sales spiked. According to the team, 10,000 tickets -- nearly three times the average -- were sold in the first three days after the announcement. And on the day the trade was announced, the team received calls from five season ticket holders who did not renew their tickets wanting to change their minds.

The club will attempt to accomplish its goals by pushing many of its "value" packages, such as ticket specials (Half-price Mondays and Tuesdays, Kids Days, etc.) and special entertainment promotions (Dog Days, Caribbean Night, Elvis Night and Fireworks nights). Increasing fan awareness of these programs is critical to the team achieving its goals.

"The first thing we'd like to do is get attendance up over the 2 million mark," says Gallas. "We haven't done that since before the '94 players' strike. We want to get back to that level and then go from there."

RichH55
01-29-2003, 09:37 PM
More positive notes, from a positive offseason

Daver
01-29-2003, 09:41 PM
Could this be a sign that it finally got through the thick skulls at 35th and Sheilds that if they attempt to build a winner the fans will come?

Nahhh,it can't be that.................

delben91
01-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by daver
Could this be a sign that it finally got through the thick skulls at 35th and Sheilds that if they attempt to build a winner the fans will come?

Now, hopefully, the fans actually will come.

Also, (said with even more hope), those thick skulls actually did build a winner.

WinningUgly!
01-29-2003, 09:57 PM
Does anybody else think that the All Star Game being held in Comiskey this year has anything to do with JR suddenly seeming interested in winning? He's the host who'll be having all of his buddies over. He needs to have a contending team at the time, so he can walk around all puffy-chested in front of them as he shows off his newly renovated ballpark. I sure hope this apparent commitment to winning continues on after this season.

gogosoxgogo
01-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Does anybody else think that the All Star Game being held in Comiskey this year has anything to do with JR suddenly seeming interested in winning? He's the host who'll be having all of his buddies over. He needs to have a contending team at the time, so he can walk around all puffy-chested in front of them as he shows off his newly renovated ballpark. I sure hope this apparent commitment to winning continues on after this season.

I think that the reason the Colon trade and other activities this offseason happened in the first place was due to the All Star game. JR knew that it would bring in revenue, and as you said, it would be nice to show off to his owner friends. However, now that season tickets have basically sold out, I think that JR is realizing that if he puts a good team on the field, his attendence is going to go up. If attendence tops 2 million this season, like I think it will, then I see no reason why this trend won't continue past this season. But then again, this is Sox management and you can never really predict anything they do, so who really knows?

Daver
01-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I think that the reason the Colon trade and other activities this offseason happened in the first place was due to the All Star game. JR knew that it would bring in revenue, and as you said, it would be nice to show off to his owner friends. However, now that season tickets have basically sold out, I think that JR is realizing that if he puts a good team on the field, his attendence is going to go up. If attendence tops 2 million this season, like I think it will, then I see no reason why this trend won't continue past this season. But then again, this is Sox management and you can never really predict anything they do, so who really knows?

Season tickets are sold out?

Or the small section reserved as strictly season tickets is sold out?

If it is the latter that has been sold out for years.

I gaurantee if you called Comiskey Park tomorrow wanting to buy season tickets you would be able to buy them.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-29-2003, 10:16 PM
BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!!!

NYSF

bc2k
01-29-2003, 10:19 PM
JR and KW for whatever reason, put a contending team on the field in '03. Now it's our turn to show appreciation by going to Comiskey. Otherwise, JR has no reason to build winning teams.

chisox06
01-29-2003, 10:32 PM

We had a winner in 2000 and where were the fans? They showed up for the 2 playoff games but that disgusts me. When the sox were pulling away and held the best record in the A.L there attendence was still embarrassing, I just dont get it. Good thing there is diehards like us huh.

HawkDJ
01-29-2003, 10:32 PM

I gaurantee if you called Comiskey Park tomorrow wanting to buy season tickets you would be able to buy them.

Well Club Lvel is now season ticket only so it seems like they are getting plenty of season ticket requests.

WhiteSox = Life
01-29-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
If attendence tops 2 million this season, like I think it will, then I see no reason why this trend won't continue past this season. But then again, this is Sox management and you can never really predict anything they do, so who really knows?

I think if attendance does top 2 million, which would be great, management would try to continue building a a proposed winner. If attendance gets to 2 million, the plateau for the White Sox organization as of now, the more it goes over that mark, I think the more certain that it's going to be there will be more attempts, sooner than later, at winning, than there will be at blaming the fans.

In other words, SUPPORT THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX!

hose
01-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
We had a winner in 2000 and where were the fans? They showed up for the 2 playoff games but that disgusts me. When the sox were pulling away and held the best record in the A.L there attendence was still embarrassing, I just dont get it. Good thing there is diehards like us huh.

Advance ticket sales is the only way to having good attendance.

gogosoxgogo
01-29-2003, 11:03 PM

I said basically because the lower deck box as far as my knowledge is close to, or is sold out and as someone said, they've had to open other sections. It wasn't meant to be taken so literally.

Tragg
01-29-2003, 11:25 PM
KW has always made a lot of moves. 2 years ago, he made 2 big deals to bring wells and clayton - he also signed alomar. The difference is that those moves were awful on paper (well, maybe wells wasn't) and this year's deals look good on paper.
While Colon is expensive, not as expensive as the sum of Alomar + Clayton + Wells of 2 years agol. In addition, this year's free agent signees came cheap - we payed a couple of mill for a over the hill alomar 2 years ago.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2003, 11:42 PM
If you want to know if the leopard has really changed his spots, see what the Sox do this off season.....

They have a bunch of free agents (seven I think) and arbitration eligible guys.

If Uncle Jerry makes aggresive proactive moves to keep these players (and keep them happy) then I'd have to say he's changing

If I had to bet my life on what happens, I'd say by by free agents...

Lip

fuzzy_patters
01-30-2003, 01:00 AM
Get ready for the youth movement boys and girls. Somebody had better tell JM what happened to Gene Lamont in May 1995.

RichH55
01-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If you want to know if the leopard has really changed his spots, see what the Sox do this off season.....

They have a bunch of free agents (seven I think) and arbitration eligible guys.

If Uncle Jerry makes aggresive proactive moves to keep these players (and keep them happy) then I'd have to say he's changing

If I had to bet my life on what happens, I'd say by by free agents...

Lip

We shall see....they have been pretty good with contracts from what I have seen....Got Mags for a longer period, tried to get Buerhle, C Lee was given a proper contract, Koch is here for the next 2 years, paid a pretty penny to get LTP off the gridiron, .....my hope is that KW understands replacement value...and I think he does to an extent(maybe not as much as some would like)....bottom line is that if the team wins, it should stay together for the most part.....

Though it will be interesting to see what happens with Valentin....He's a guy that you would like to keep with the organization at least in some capacity and would make a tremendous bench guy if you can get him to do that(I mean that in reference to getting a starting job elsewhere, because I think that once he agrees to be a bench guy you won't hear an ounce of Royce from him)