PDA

View Full Version : KW has "problem" with certain Score hosts

Viva Magglio
01-29-2003, 01:50 PM
Kenny Williams cancelled his scheduled appearance with Dan Jiggetts last night because he has problems with certain Score hosts. Boers & Bernstein claim they have not been ripping KW since his previous Score appearance, and they have been praising KW for the Colón and Daubach acquisition.

My money is on Mike North as the Score host who got under KW's skin.

whitesoxwilkes
01-29-2003, 01:51 PM
:ass

"How can dat be? Everybody loves Pappy!"

hold2dibber
01-29-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Kenny Williams cancelled his scheduled appearance with Dan Jiggetts last night because he has problems with certain Score hosts.

Where'd you hear that?

joecrede
01-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Heard Boers and Bernstein say you have to take the heat if you want to be in the kitchen. I think, by virtue of KW taking unscreened calls the last time he was on the SCORE, he's shown a willingness to do just that.

What I think is unfair is that Boers and Bernstein have played snippets from that interview out of context that make KW look foolish. I wouldn't appear on the station after that either.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2003, 02:14 PM
For my money I think Williams was concerned the latest Buehrle flap was going to come up and he didn't want to get into it or say something that he may regret later.

Lip

SoxxoS
01-29-2003, 02:29 PM
:KW

Hello!!!!! I went to Stanford, remember?

THE_HOOTER
01-29-2003, 02:30 PM
K. Williams has dealt with so many issues that are far worse than a young pitcher who makes references to playing for his hometown.

The knuckleheads on the Score prolly aggravate the heck out of him.

I don't blame him one bit. He has been on ESPN radio, and he gets awfully angry quick.

As far as Buerhle goes, if he is here thru 2006, and he leaves then fine.

If he averages 17 wins a year, which is most likely not going to happen, he will have over a 100 wins.

2006 we could really get a good plaer for him.

I hope we ship him to the Cubs in a few years to pay him back for his comments.

They piss me off. :angry:

Hangar18
01-29-2003, 02:37 PM
Im with Lip on this one. Now that he mentions it, he probably
didnt want to talk about the Buehrle thing just yet....
which is a good idea. man, kw has been the right thing
the last couple of weeks. the man deserves some praise
right about now. Hopefully, he will stay on Buehrle, and
sign him at some point longer term later on.

34 Inch Stick
01-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Kenny, you almost had a few months of making nothing but correct moves. The number one lesson anyone in sports should learn is that you cannot win a battle against the media. Say your peace, let them rip on you but don't respond. It's a loosing situation.

Now, get on that phone and beg Jiggets to let you back on the air. You will be doing the Sox and your future a big service if you lightened up a little.

duke of dorwood
01-29-2003, 03:00 PM
No one HAS to go on that "station" to be treated with disrespect during and after interviews. Every one of the shows afterwards plays cuts from interviews and then each host pours more negativity into it with their stale interpertations. Why ANYONE would go on there, or listen for that matter amazes me. NO Good can come of it-and never does. Thats a second rate (at best) operation and I salute KW if he chose not to appear.

Dan H
01-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
No one HAS to go on that "station" to be treated with disrespect during and after interviews. Every one of the shows afterwards plays cuts from interviews and then each host pours more negativity into it with their stale interpertations. Why ANYONE would go on there, or listen for that matter amazes me. NO Good can come of it-and never does. Thats a second rate (at best) operation and I salute KW if he chose not to appear.

Williams doesn't have any obligation to appear on the Score. It is a pathetic station. However, Sox fans listen, and he can't ignore the place. And there is nothing that says you can't put conditions on any interview or appearance. Public figures do it all the time, and they are entitled to do it. And he did say he was going to appear.

But I would never appear with Boers and Bernstein if I were Williams. They have a long history of ridiculing people who appear on their show. I wouldn't listen to them much less go on radio with them. They just don't have any crediblilty in my book.

NewyorkSoxFan
01-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Although I am not in Chicago, and I am subjected to "The Fan" here in NY, I feel bad for Jiggs. I think he is a good guy, and he does give the station some credibility, but sounds like the quality of the shows have really fell off.

They have been to cheap to even get their station on the net so fans can listen but I guess it's all for the best based on what I'm hearing from everybody.

I would like to see KW go on anyway, it would show he is bigger than them, but I don't know how disrespectful the hosts have been. Come to think of it maybe he should boycott this site as well. :D: He hasn't gotten much love from any of us the last few years.

NYSF

34 Inch Stick
01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
NYSF you usually do not even have to earn love in Chicago. It is ordinarilly given (except on Saturdays at certain bars) and the sports figure has to earn our disgust. The last few years Kenny has earned our disgust. But you see how quickly we forgive.

Duke, he is obliged to appear if he would like to increase fan interest and ticket sales. One appearance on Chicago's top rated sports station is worth 100 promotion nights.

joecrede
01-29-2003, 04:46 PM
KW is a "guest" of the SCORE. He shouldn't have to be subjected to Boers and Bernstien's after-the-fact ridiculing by taking the things he says out of context. What a classless pair those two have become.

This brings up another advantage the Cubs have, Hendry doesn't have to deal with this stuff to get his message out. He can do it in the safety and security of the WGN hosts and reach a far greater audience than either the SCORE or ESPN radio could provide.

Jjav829
01-29-2003, 04:55 PM
I have trouble believing his story. Suddenly, now he decides that he still has problems with people on the Score? What about a month ago? He was willing to go in studio for an hour to do an interview with Jiggs. Since then hes made some good moves, and has been getting praise from the hosts and fans. If anything this would be a great time for him to go on since the Colon trade is still fairly fresh and he wouldn't get many negative calls.

Anyways, hes doing the show with Jiggs who rarely rips on anyone. I would like to know what KW's problem is. He has a problem with Score hosts ripping on him...because they are right?!

Hes still the most paranoid GM in town.

RedPinStripes
01-29-2003, 05:02 PM
He was just on the score a month ago. Something sounds funny with this story. Maybe WMVP had a real problem with it since they are the flagship station? The Score could just be trying to make this sound real exciting.

Cheryl
01-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
He was just on the score a month ago. Something sounds funny with this story. Maybe WMVP had a real problem with it since they are the flagship station? The Score could just be trying to make this sound real exciting.

I never listen to sports radio other than Sox games and Wills after the games. To tell you the truth, I don't know who this Les Grobstein guy is or why it's so exciting he's coming to chat with you all.

So I'm no expert, but this sounds like the most plausible explanation.

duke of dorwood
01-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Cheryl, you have the right idea.

hose
01-29-2003, 07:07 PM
Kenny Williams cancelled his scheduled appearance with Dan Jiggetts last night because he has problems with certain Score hosts. Boers & Bernstein claim they have not been ripping KW since his previous Score appearance, and they have been praising KW for the Colón and Daubach acquisition.

My money is on Mike North as the Score host who got under KW's skin.

Kenny should stick with AM 1000's Bruce Levine, Dave Wills, or Bill Melton those are the flag ships no nonsense baseball experts.

Soxboyrob
01-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
Williams doesn't have any obligation to appear on the Score. It is a pathetic station.

But I would never appear with Boers and Bernstein if I were Williams. They have a long history of ridiculing people who appear on their show. I wouldn't listen to them much less go on radio with them. They just don't have any crediblilty in my book.

Coming from someone who has the Score on all day long while I work at my desk at my job, I can attest that B&B have had nothing but praise for KW ever since the Colon deal. They have rightfully ridiculed his meanspirited, constantly pissed-off attitude. He's a horrible PR guy and does not one iota of good for the Sox' already iffy public image.

B&B haven't taken him out of context in any way, shape or form. They constantly play little snippets of him making angry comments for humor's sake but I can assure you, the context of those snippets is exactly as they've been presented by KW. B & B's ongoing beef w/ Kenny is that he presents a poor public image for the club. Frankly, I agree w/ him.

If Kenny were smart and had ANY sense of PR savvy, he'd come on the Score (or any station for that matter) and take ANY question thrown at him and show that he can thoughtfully answer their questions, accept their kidding and criticisms and go on with his business, instead of being so damned thin-skinned all the time. Who cares if B & B are making fun of him? That's what their show's about and they admit that. They're smart-asses talking about sports....or is it sports guys being smart-asses?

Soxboyrob
01-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by hose
Kenny should stick with AM 1000's Bruce Levine, Dave Wills, or Bill Melton those are the flag ships no nonsense baseball experts.

Oh yeah....Levine and Wills are a couple of baseball Einsteins.
Wills is about as "company line" as anyone I've ever heard on the radio. Nice guy, certainly. Baseball expert? Not.

Viva Magglio
01-29-2003, 11:02 PM

Rule No. 1: Never trust flagship stations because they are ass kissers.

hose
01-29-2003, 11:08 PM
Rule No. 1: Never trust flagship stations because they are ass kissers.

Bruce Levine is not a ass kisser.....just ask Frank Thomas.

Wills and Melton are company men, but they don't try and pretend they're not.

Daver
01-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Bruce Levine is not a ass kisser

But he does bleed Cubbie blue............

gogosoxgogo
01-29-2003, 11:14 PM
I actually like Wills, Melton and Levine. Wills and Melton are the only guys in Chicago who more biased towards the Sox than the Cubs, something this city needs more of. You've got to love them. They may not be the brightest baseball wise, but they are pretty bright with their White Sox info. Yes, their company men, but hose put it well as they aren't pretenders. I like them. Levine is nice because he is the most un-biased reporter I've ever heard. I would have actually guessed he was a Sox fan had I not known that he was for the Cubs. He does a great job of just being a reporter without throwing his own personal opinion in.

TornLabrum
01-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Bruce Levine is not a ass kisser.....just ask Frank Thomas.

Wills and Melton are company men, but they don't try and pretend they're not.

I don't know if I'd call Dave so much a company man as a diehard Sox fan. If you read between the lines when things are going badly for the Sox, I think you can sense what his opinions are. If Dave were 100% company man, he'd do more than kid me about my column here, I think.

RichH55
01-30-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Coming from someone who has the Score on all day long while I work at my desk at my job, I can attest that B&B have had nothing but praise for KW ever since the Colon deal. They have rightfully ridiculed his meanspirited, constantly pissed-off attitude. He's a horrible PR guy and does not one iota of good for the Sox' already iffy public image.

B&B haven't taken him out of context in any way, shape or form. They constantly play little snippets of him making angry comments for humor's sake but I can assure you, the context of those snippets is exactly as they've been presented by KW. B & B's ongoing beef w/ Kenny is that he presents a poor public image for the club. Frankly, I agree w/ him.

If Kenny were smart and had ANY sense of PR savvy, he'd come on the Score (or any station for that matter) and take ANY question thrown at him and show that he can thoughtfully answer their questions, accept their kidding and criticisms and go on with his business, instead of being so damned thin-skinned all the time. Who cares if B & B are making fun of him? That's what their show's about and they admit that. They're smart-asses talking about sports....or is it sports guys being smart-asses?

Do you work for the Score or something? Geez

hose
01-30-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I don't know if I'd call Dave so much a company man as a diehard Sox fan. If you read between the lines when things are going badly for the Sox, I think you can sense what his opinions are. If Dave were 100% company man, he'd do more than kid me about my column here, I think.

I think we both know that both Wills and Melton have to stay within guide lines, which most fully understand .

From the over the top, shoot from the hip, controversial shock jock like Howard Stern to the childish junior high school radio talk hosts Boers and Bernstein , the "tell it like it is" side gets plenty of air time to get their nonsense talk over the air waves.

34 Inch Stick
01-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Kenny's position should be like that of a movie star on a PR junket just before a movie comes out. You go everywhere you are invited so that you reach the most people possible. He has Sox fest to promote this weekend and the ticket sale drive is on. Understand that you do not have to be friends with hosts, you are using them for the betterment of your team. Not a difficult concept and one that PR genius Gallas should be imparting to his GM.

hold2dibber
01-30-2003, 09:41 AM

This is an example, in my opinion, of the radio guys making something out of nothing. Yes, it is true that KW comes off as kind of grouchy most of the time. But by repeatedly playing those snippets and focusing on that fact, they have made a non-issue into an issue. I just don't think people really notice or care much about KW's personality quirks, unless or until some radio guys start obsessing upon certain traits.

And I do believe (as was reported here - I didn't hear it) that KW DID go on the Score with Jiggets a few months ago and took unscreened calls, just as you suggest. Have B&B given him any credit for that?

Soxboyrob
01-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

And I do believe (as was reported here - I didn't hear it) that KW DID go on the Score with Jiggets a few months ago and took unscreened calls, just as you suggest. Have B&B given him any credit for that?

Absolutely. They spent a great deal of yesterday's show wondering what they had said about him since then, since they've been nothing but complimentary as of late.

Hey, I don't mean to defend those two goofs. I enjoy their show, but I take it for what it is...a sarcastic comedy/sports/social commentary show. They can be pretty nasty and annoying at times. Still, Kenny could do a nice job for the Sox by going on the radio w/ whomever asks, and taking all the kidding in stride, laughing it off and trying to be positive about the future. Hell, even KW ought to now be able to laugh about what a goof the Ritchie trade was. But no, he's still too busy being angry and trying in a half-assed way to defend having made that trade.

Soxboyrob
01-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Kenny's position should be like that of a movie star on a PR junket just before a movie comes out. You go everywhere you are invited so that you reach the most people possible. He has Sox fest to promote this weekend and the ticket sale drive is on. Understand that you do not have to be friends with hosts, you are using them for the betterment of your team. Not a difficult concept and one that PR genius Gallas should be imparting to his GM.

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. Kenny, get out there, be nice, laugh at jokes, stop being angry, be a shining example for the organization, tell the fans that your only goal is to make them happy by bringing a winner to the South Side. It's simple, simple, simple. Stop being so thin-skinned and life will become easier.

Soxboyrob
01-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Do you work for the Score or something? Geez

It probably seems like that, doesn't it?
I love that station and readily admit it.
I love the B & B show. Why? Because it makes me laugh.
Are they both pricks? Most definitely. Bigtime.

I love North's show. I makes me laugh. He's an absolute bonehead and has very little analytical knowledge of most sports. But his interviews w/ players, coaches, GM's, etc are a hoot. He'll ask any question anytime and finds a way to endear himself to most of his interviews, even when asking them tough questions. Take the guy for what he is.....a not very smart guy that can be pretty funny at times. Sometimes his show is unlistenable and it's easy to just switch over the WMVP, which is also a hoot.

The Score has never made any attempt to pass itself off as highbrow entertainment. It gets boring to talk about sports all day long, which is why some of those guys get off on sometimes annoying tangents on occasion.

gosox41
01-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Heard Boers and Bernstein say you have to take the heat if you want to be in the kitchen. I think, by virtue of KW taking unscreened calls the last time he was on the SCORE, he's shown a willingness to do just that.

What I think is unfair is that Boers and Bernstein have played snippets from that interview out of context that make KW look foolish. I wouldn't appear on the station after that either.

KW is foolish so it's hard not to make him look that way.

If KW were a real man he'd confront Mike North head on, though you won't catch me listening to that one because North is ignorant.

A lot of the criticism about KW is fair when it comes to other Score hosts I've heard critique him. I have know idea what North says but it can't be too tough for KW to outwit him.

Bob

Jjav829
01-30-2003, 02:38 PM
It probably seems like that, doesn't it?
I love that station and readily admit it.
I love the B & B show. Why? Because it makes me laugh.
Are they both pricks? Most definitely. Bigtime.

I love North's show. I makes me laugh. He's an absolute bonehead and has very little analytical knowledge of most sports. But his interviews w/ players, coaches, GM's, etc are a hoot. He'll ask any question anytime and finds a way to endear himself to most of his interviews, even when asking them tough questions. Take the guy for what he is.....a not very smart guy that can be pretty funny at times. Sometimes his show is unlistenable and it's easy to just switch over the WMVP, which is also a hoot.

The Score has never made any attempt to pass itself off as highbrow entertainment. It gets boring to talk about sports all day long, which is why some of those guys get off on sometimes annoying tangents on occasion.

Bingo! I couldn't have said it any better. Personally, I don't want 4 hours of sports talk. Theres not enough to talk about. What are they gonna do, spend 4 hours analyzing the Brian Daubach signing? You could do that in 5 minutes. I mean for the past 4 months there has been talk about the Bears draft, over and over again. It's the same stuff just said in a different way. Yes I want to hear about sports but not for the entire 4 hours of the show. Sometimes the hosts hit on a big topic that will cover a lot of time. Other times theres really nothing to talk about so they have to have some way to fill 4 hours and keep people listening. Thats why I like Bernstein and Boers. I am not denying that they are childish, etc. I don't care. Im laughing at their show, and its keeping me tuned in. Thats what I want.

Soxboyrob
01-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Other times theres really nothing to talk about so they have to have some way to fill 4 hours and keep people listening. Thats why I like Bernstein and Boers. I am not denying that they are childish, etc. I don't care. Im laughing at their show, and its keeping me tuned in. Thats what I want.

By golly, you must work there too. I'm surprised I've never seen you there.

Lip Man 1
01-30-2003, 04:08 PM
This could be an example of that "bunker mentality" that Phil Rogers talked about in his interview.

Remember Williams also made referrence to the media being an outside divisive force in his talk to the team at spring training last year, basically blaming them for the Sox problems.

Ken should let some things roll off his back and save his fights for the important issues. I think he takes himself to seriously perhaps because he feels pressure to justify his hiring. If that's the case perhaps he really wasn't prepared for the job and shouldn't have been hired.

Just a thought.

Lip