PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on buerle

DustyIsOverated1
01-28-2003, 10:57 PM
I'll make this quick. The recent comments regarding Mark's future and his plans are, in my opinion, a little discouraging.

Hey--You play for the White Sox Mark! Grow up, shut your mouth until you are able to express your wishes without affecting the team chemistry.

Thats all we need now, our best hurler counting down the days until he can play in St.Louis, great example for the rest of the team. I hope this was blown out of proportion once again because I am fastly losing respect for this kid. We all know deep down he is another McDowell, in that he has a little bit of a fiesty attitude in him. I hope it doesn't unwind and turn him into a Jamie Navarro....makes me sick though. Pulls this around Sox Fest time??? How are the Sox fans going to look up at him and see a pitcher/star who truely wants to win for his team.

This is the difference between us and the Yankees, boys! No One really wets the bed over playing in comiskey like they do in yankee or wrigley---i swear it makes me so damn sick

pass the beer nuts

MarkEdward
01-28-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
I'll make this quick. The recent comments regarding Mark's future and his plans are, in my opinion, a little discouraging.

Hey--You play for the White Sox Mark! Grow up, shut your mouth until you are able to express your wishes without affecting the team chemistry.

If you're going to belittle the guy, at least spell his name correctly.

I think this whole situation is getting blown way out of proportion. Mark still has a few more years in a Sox uniform, and a lot can happen between now and 2006.

chisox06
01-29-2003, 12:07 AM
Now the reason why Mark rejected the sox last offer makes a whole lotta sense after reading this thing about the Cardinals. Buehrle should keep his mouth shut until the end of the season, at least thats the professional way of dealing with things.

michigan84
01-29-2003, 02:41 AM
I say we all give Buehrle a hard time at Sox Fest and see what spin he puts on his comments.

I'm with you. This kid needs to shut his mouth. He doesn't have enough MLB experience to decide where he plays. This kid acts like he's Roger Clemens or something. Give me a break! Buehrle needs to grow up, because he is making Sox fans, like me, dislike him. Let's trade him before his contract is up, because he is sure to jump to St. Louis.

MisterB
01-29-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by chisox06
Now the reason why Mark rejected the sox last offer makes a whole lotta sense after reading this thing about the Cardinals. Buehrle should keep his mouth shut until the end of the season, at least thats the professional way of dealing with things.

His rejecting the latest Sox offer has little or nothing to do with the Cardinals. There's not much he could do that would get him to the Cards any sooner than his FA year. Taking arbitration every year might 'force' a trade before then, but considering the spiteful moves the Sox have pulled in the past, they'd sooner deal him to anybody BUT the Cards unless the deal was really sweet. The deal was rejected because of length of contract and money first (and second?) and foremost.

Wsoxmike59
01-29-2003, 07:28 AM
Mark Buehrle's rant reminds me of when young Alex Fernandez spoke openly about pitching for his hometown Fla Marlins even before they were an actual team!

Mark's actions also remind of of when we had Black Jack McDowell. The annual contract squabbles between he and management lead to nothing but hard feelings on both sides. Then their stupid pride got in the way, and Jack left town disillusioned about the franchise and the city.

I'd hate to see the same thing happen with Mark Buehrle.

Bobby Thigpen
01-29-2003, 09:37 AM
I don't really know how to take his recent comments, but it certainly does make it hard for me to like the guy. I greatly admire his pitching and hope that he does excellently with the Sox, but his apparent attitude keeps him from being a favorite of mine. He should just keep his mouth shut, and if wants to go to St. Louis then in four years it's fine with me. I find it hard to believe that anyone would WANT to play for LaRussa, but that's just my opinion.

DustyIsOverated1
01-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
If you're going to belittle the guy, at least spell his name correctly.

I think this whole situation is getting blown way out of proportion. Mark still has a few more years in a Sox uniform, and a lot can happen between now and 2006.

Sorry for spelling the last name wrong, "h" key slipped.

The fact that "a lot can happen between now and 2006" doesn't matter in this case. The problem that I have is

A.) We shouldn't have to win the pennant every year so that we are privlaged enough to have him around voluntarily, i'm not saying he hates playing for the Sox because we are mediocre. That wouldn't make any sense because in my opinion St.Louis is only a step up from the sox on a flight of ten. Mark must realize the concept of team loyalty. I understand that he likes St.L because thats were he grew up as a fan and blah blah blah. There are about 50 top rank players in ball today that would love to play in St. Louis, but lets tone it done is all i'm saying. Hell, Soxfest is a couple days away and Mark and KW will be together to ask questions from the fans?? wow....whos gonna be the a-hole to ask the "question"

gosox41
01-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I don't really know how to take his recent comments, but it certainly does make it hard for me to like the guy. I greatly admire his pitching and hope that he does excellently with the Sox, but his apparent attitude keeps him from being a favorite of mine. He should just keep his mouth shut, and if wants to go to St. Louis then in four years it's fine with me. I find it hard to believe that anyone would WANT to play for LaRussa, but that's just my opinion.

As far as I'm concerned Buehrle can say whatever he wants. As long as he shows up and pitches well I can care less what he says. He has every incentive to give 100% for htis team since he passed up a chance at a long term contract. He's playing for money for the next 3 years.

As for him wanting to go to St. Louis, this is the way I see it:

1. It is his hometown and other players have gone 'home' to play before. Can't say I blame him.
2. At least the Cards try to put a winner on the field every year and always seem to be in contention (unlike the Sox).
3. After KW and JR dicked him around over $15K last season I'd want to leave that team to as soon as I can. Especially considering that they'll blow millions on an overaged veteran but won't try to keep a young budding star loyal and happy.

Bob

hold2dibber
01-29-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
As far as I'm concerned Buehrle can say whatever he wants. As long as he shows up and pitches well I can care less what he says. He has every incentive to give 100% for htis team since he passed up a chance at a long term contract. He's playing for money for the next 3 years.

As for him wanting to go to St. Louis, this is the way I see it:

1. It is his hometown and other players have gone 'home' to play before. Can't say I blame him.
2. At least the Cards try to put a winner on the field every year and always seem to be in contention (unlike the Sox).
3. After KW and JR dicked him around over $15K last season I'd want to leave that team to as soon as I can. Especially considering that they'll blow millions on an overaged veteran but won't try to keep a young budding star loyal and happy.

Bob

I completely agree with everything you said. But I still think he's a dumb ass for making his feelings known in public - he's stuck with the Sox for 4 more years, and I see no benefit to him in alienating Sox fans under those circumstances. The only possible up side, I suppose, is if he thinks his public desire to play in St. Louis will put pressure on the Sox and force them to ink him to a long term deal. If that's what he thinks, he doesn't know Jerry Reinsdorf too well.

Lip Man 1
01-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Mark certainly has some issues with Sox "management" and I think he's got every right to feel that way.

HOWEVER... these snide little comments made before his family, friends and hometown are bush league at best.

If Mark wants to be traded, if he has issues with the Sox, then be a man and call a press conference HERE IN CHICAGO and discuss them.

If he's not willing to do that, then just shut up! You can rest assured that he's put his neck on the chopping block by doing this AGAIN. Sox fans will have the hatchet out this Summer if he doesn't put up the numbers of the previous two seasons.

Lip

RichH55
01-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Mark certainly has some issues with Sox "management" and I think he's got every right to feel that way.

HOWEVER... these snide little comments made before his family, friends and hometown are bush league at best.

If Mark wants to be traded, if he has issues with the Sox, then be a man and call a press conference HERE IN CHICAGO and discuss them.

If he's not willing to do that, then just shut up! You can rest assured that he's put his neck on the chopping block by doing this AGAIN. Sox fans will have the hatchet out this Summer if he doesn't put up the numbers of the previous two seasons.

Lip

Man for Lip to somewhat (if only by having a similar enemy(for lack of better word)) be on managements side, you know Buerhle is asking for trouble

TornLabrum
01-29-2003, 06:58 PM
A couple of years ago, before he made it to the parent club, a person claiming to be Buehrle's sister, who gave in her user profile an address of St. Charles, MO), came to the Sox message board complaining that the Sox refused to give him permission to go to "a family member's" wedding. On a Saturday. In August. During the baseball season.

This is the same family that apparently has been hounding the Cardinals to free him from the Sox. The same family that apparently doesn't realize that the baseball season runs through August and then whines when he can't leave the team.

pudge
01-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
A couple of years ago, before he made it to the parent club, a person claiming to be Buehrle's sister, who gave in her user profile an address of St. Charles, MO), came to the Sox message board complaining that the Sox refused to give him permission to go to "a family member's" wedding. On a Saturday. In August. During the baseball season.

This is the same family that apparently has been hounding the Cardinals to free him from the Sox. The same family that apparently doesn't realize that the baseball season runs through August and then whines when he can't leave the team.

Very interesting. A lot of this does seem family driven. He mentioned thanking his parents for driving to Chicago. Oh yeah, cause it's such a LONG drive. You could have been drafted by San Diego you moron, that's quite a bit longer! You'd think he'd be happy he's at least in the midwest.

We have him until 2006, and who knows what kind of pitcher he'll be after then, so hopefully we get his best years (ala McDowell and Fernandez) and then he can move on.

gogosoxgogo
01-29-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

You and pudge certainly bring up an interesting point. His family has him whipped!

chisox06
01-29-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
His rejecting the latest Sox offer has little or nothing to do with the Cardinals. There's not much he could do that would get him to the Cards any sooner than his FA year. Taking arbitration every year might 'force' a trade before then, but considering the spiteful moves the Sox have pulled in the past, they'd sooner deal him to anybody BUT the Cards unless the deal was really sweet. The deal was rejected because of length of contract and money first (and second?) and foremost.

Sorry but when a pitcher rejects a "Barry Zito type contract" from a team that has turned him into a star player, something is wrong. He gives me the impression that Mark just straight up wants to play somewhere else and by what he says, he likes St.Louis.

Daver
01-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by chisox06
Sorry but when a pitcher rejects a "Barry Zito type contract" from a team that has turned him into a star player, something is wrong. He gives me the impression that Mark just straight up wants to play somewhere else and by what he says, he likes St.Louis.

I have heard rumours that the contract fell somewhat short of Zito numbers,and that does not surprise me.

That being said,Mark and his agent are making a mistake by not signing a decent contract that carries him to F/A,by playing tough guy. The only person that can getted burned is Mark,if he suffers any type of arm injury while on a one year contract he can kiss the big payday goodbye till he can prove he is healthy,and in some cases that can take several years.

hose
01-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by daver
I have heard rumours that the contract fell somewhat short of Zito numbers,and that does not surprise me.

That being said,Mark and his agent are making a mistake by not signing a decent contract that carries him to F/A,by playing tough guy. The only person that can getted burned is Mark,if he suffers any type of arm injury while on a one year contract he can kiss the big payday goodbye till he can prove he is healthy,and in some cases that can take several years.

Like getting drilled with a line drive in Japan?

RichH55
01-30-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by hose
Like getting drilled with a line drive in Japan?

No like the fact he is 23/24 and already pitched a couple of big inning years, making his injury risk rather large....He isn't throwing the slurve, but pitching just isn't a natural act.....He is here til FA hits at least, so sign the contract