PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario

pudge
01-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Didn't Mario Valenzuela tear it up last spring? Can someone refresh my memory as to why he missed the entire 2002 season? What was his injury and when did it happen?

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-28-2003, 03:37 PM
i think he tore his ACL (maybe not but i think a knee injury) last spring/summer.

progers0826
01-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Valenzuela, who was coming off a strong showing in the Arizona Fall League, killed the ball last spring before being sidelined with an elbow injury. He wound up needing Tommy John surgery and -- I don't believe -- has played since then. It's not a horrible injury for a position player but he was a late-bloomer to begin with. It will be interesting to see whether he brings his hitting shoes to camp and then, more importantly, when he goes to Charlotte. He was definitely good enough to be a big-league extra before the injury and might have wound up being a mini-Magglio for any organization giving him regular at-bats.

SoxxoS
01-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Does anyone else see a Mario Valdez similarity here?

MattSharp
01-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Does anyone else see a Mario Valdez similarity here?

Totally. Does this guy have a chance at making the team really? Unless he hits like Magglio now (yea right) or someone gets hurt. If his potential is that high I say trade him while his value is high if you could get something you need in return.

MarkEdward
01-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Totally. Does this guy have a chance at making the team really? Unless he hits like Magglio now (yea right) or someone gets hurt. If his potential is that high I say trade him while his value is high if you could get something you need in return.

He only has value as a throw in. He'll probably be a fourth or fifth outfielder if he ever makes it to the bigs. Big if.