PDA

View Full Version : Question for all

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:36 PM
I can't remember the answer to this. Need help.

Will Seattle, the team w/ the best AL record, play the Wild Card winner even if the Central division winning team has a worse record? I realize that if Oakland wins the WC, then Seattle will play the division winner w/ the worst record, but what if Boston won the wild card with a better record than the Central Division winning White Sox. At this point, it appears that about 83 wins will win the Central anyway.

And since Oakland IS going to win the WC, do we really want to win the division, go to the playoffs, and have Seattle B-tch Slap us all over the field again?

Paulwny
08-13-2001, 12:43 PM
I thought the rules changed a few years ago when Steinbrenner made a stink. I believe the best win % plays the worst win% no matter the division. I'm probably wrong.

Bmr31
08-13-2001, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I can't remember the answer to this. Need help.

Will Seattle, the team w/ the best AL record, play the Wild Card winner even if the Central division winning team has a worse record? I realize that if Oakland wins the WC, then Seattle will play the division winner w/ the worst record, but what if Boston won the wild card with a better record than the Central Division winning White Sox. At this point, it appears that about 83 wins will win the Central anyway.

And since Oakland IS going to win the WC, do we really want to win the division, go to the playoffs, and have Seattle B-tch Slap us all over the field again?

Seattle will play the wild card team, unless that team comes from their division. IN that case, seattle would play the divison winner with the worst record.

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

Seattle will play the wild card team, unless that team comes from their division. IN that case, seattle would play the divison winner with the worst record.

Since Oakland will for sure win the WC, Seattle would be kicking our butts all the way to Neptune if we made the postseason. Let's wait till next year.

Iwritecode
08-13-2001, 12:57 PM
I gladly watch the Sox get their butts kicked in the playoffs if only to keep the Twins and Tribe out. Especially if the Cubs don't make it either.

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 01:06 PM
You're right. I forgot about keeping the Indians out. I don't mind the Twins, though.

KingXerxes
08-13-2001, 08:48 PM
85 wins will take this division (you heard it here first). Can we do it? Yes. Will we do it? We'll see.

Jerry_Manuel
08-13-2001, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
85 wins will take this division (you heard it here first). Can we do it? Yes. Will we do it? We'll see.

:hawk
Back when I was playing for the Red Sox you had to win 95 games just to even be in the race. Those were the days before the juiced ball.

Daver
08-13-2001, 09:13 PM
Back when the only juice was
:beer