PDA

View Full Version : Jose Cruz Jr signs

Jjav829
01-28-2003, 03:10 PM
with the Giants (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0128/1500098.html)

Viva Magglio
01-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
with the Giants (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0128/1500098.html)

Someone should ask Kenny Williams why WE didn't sign him, which we could have, when he goes on the Score tonight.

hold2dibber
01-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Someone should ask Kenny Williams why WE didn't sign him, which we could have, when he goes on the Score tonight.

You'd get the same answer we always get:

:KW

"I can't spend a dollar if I only have fifty cents."

Hullett_Fan
01-28-2003, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Reggie Sanders if he'd agree to a $750,000 one year deal. He's only 35...or does he suffer from an injury I don't know about?

Start him and bring Rowand/Harris/Rios off the bench as a late inning defensive replacement

hold2dibber
01-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
I wouldn't mind signing Reggie Sanders if he'd agree to a $750,000 one year deal. He's only 35...or does he suffer from an injury I don't know about?

Start him and bring Rowand/Harris/Rios off the bench as a late inning defensive replacement

Sanders is healthy and available, to my knowledge. But can he play CF? We certainly don't need another corner outfielder. And if they were to sign him, I would think that would mean Harris definitely begins the year in AAA.

MattSharp
01-28-2003, 05:08 PM
Hmm, do we really need Cruz? I mean Lee is talked about as Mr. Breakout this year. Mags needs no talk, and Rowand/Harris/Borchard/Rios already seems like a possible logjam in CF. I'm kinda glad they didn't sign him.

Hullett_Fan
01-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Sanders is healthy and available, to my knowledge. But can he play CF? We certainly don't need another corner outfielder. And if they were to sign him, I would think that would mean Harris definitely begins the year in AAA.

He's played 210 games in CF during his career, 910 in RF. Hasn't played CF regularly since 1998 when he was in CF for 88 games w/ the Reds.

Probably not the best option from a Defensive standpoint, but a good veteran presence and probably has .250/20/60 potential if he gets 400 ABs...about what you get from Rowand over a full season.

If we hadn't signed Rios then Sanders would be a good backup option....and if we were to trade Lee for more pitching (as has been speculated elsewhere on these boards), Sanders would be a productive, cheap replacement IMO.

Hullett_Fan
01-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Hmm, do we really need Cruz? I mean Lee is talked about as Mr. Breakout this year. Mags needs no talk, and Rowand/Harris/Borchard/Rios already seems like a possible logjam in CF. I'm kinda glad they didn't sign him.

Lee was supposed to breakout last year, but he disappointed me...both as a Sox fan and as a Fantasy team owner with him on the roster :angry:

I hope this is the year.

IMO, Borchard should spend most of 2003 in Charlotte to work on strikezone judgement and CF defense so we can plug him in for 2004 and beyond.

Lip Man 1
01-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Sanders is NOT a center fielder. And for the gentleman who said if the Sox signed him that would mean Harris would have to start the season in Triple AAA.... Regardless Harris IS starting the season in Triple A, he's not that good and needs experience.

Lip

gogosoxgogo
01-28-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sanders is NOT a center fielder. And for the gentleman who said if the Sox signed him that would mean Harris would have to start the season in Triple AAA.... Regardless Harris IS starting the season in Triple A, he's not that good and needs experience.

Lip

Unless we sign someone who can be a backup to Rowand in center until Borchard arrives, I unfortunately don't see that happening.

Daver
01-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Unless we sign someone who can be a backup to Rowand in center until Borchard arrives, I unfortunately don't see that happening.

I just signed Armando Rios and Brian Daubach,what do you people want,blood?...........

fuzzy_patters
01-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by daver

I just signed Armando Rios and Brian Daubach,what do you people want,blood?...........

:jerry

Unfortunatley, KW, neither of those guys play centerfield. How am I supposed to tinker without a backup centerfielder? Unless...

:versatile

I can play center Uncle Jerry! I know I can!

MattSharp
01-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Unfortunatley, KW, neither of those guys play centerfield. How am I supposed to tinker without a backup centerfielder?

Rios has played CF a bit. I think he is capable as a backup. But I mean lets hope he isn't needed cause Rowand steps it up this year. And if Rowand is just keeping CF warm for Borchard in 2004, then I think hes plenty good for that.