PDA

View Full Version : The man, the myth, the legend

progers0826
01-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Arnaldo Munoz got Rafael Furcal to ground out to preserve an 8-7 victory for Aguilas on Monday night, finishing off a four-game sweep in the Dominican championship series. Because the White Sox insist on getting a tiny bit of rest before spring training, he won't be going to Puerto Rico for the Caribbean Series. So he finishes an amazing winter with these totals: 4-1, 11 saves and a 1.80 ERA in 31 appearances. He held opponents to a .159 batting average and struck out 97 in 55 innings. Including his work at Birmingham (regular season and the playoffs, where he also helped deliver a title), Munoz finishes the extended season 10-1 with 18 saves and a 2.21 ERA in 134 2-3 innings spread over 84 appearances. He allowed 96 hits and 45 walks while striking out 185. In a word, wow.

WhiteSox = Life
01-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Darn right you rest him!

And, it seems like Munoz, while not totally happy with the White Sox telling him to sit out the Caribbean Series, respects their decision as he wants to pitch in the Bigs.

Whatever you do, Chicago White Sox, do not let this guy get overworked and do not, do not rush him to the Majors.

He sounds pretty special. Let's hope the stats are only half indicative of how good he's going to be.

:smile:

hold2dibber
01-28-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by progers0826
Arnaldo Munoz got Rafael Furcal to ground out to preserve an 8-7 victory for Aguilas on Monday night, finishing off a four-game sweep in the Dominican championship series. Because the White Sox insist on getting a tiny bit of rest before spring training, he won't be going to Puerto Rico for the Caribbean Series. So he finishes an amazing winter with these totals: 4-1, 11 saves and a 1.80 ERA in 31 appearances. He held opponents to a .159 batting average and struck out 97 in 55 innings. Including his work at Birmingham (regular season and the playoffs, where he also helped deliver a title), Munoz finishes the extended season 10-1 with 18 saves and a 2.21 ERA in 134 2-3 innings spread over 84 appearances. He allowed 96 hits and 45 walks while striking out 185. In a word, wow.

Those numbers are obscene. I'm glad to hear the team is insisting he take a bit of time off before spring training. I think Wunsch is going to be in for a dog fight for his roster spot this spring.

Hangar18
01-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Damn, you know how EXCITED I am reading this ???
I like the idea of calling this guy up after the All Star Break....
just in time for the AL Playoffs

delben91
01-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Those numbers are obscene.

That was my first thought as well. Don't screw up with this guy KW, JR and JM. Keep him healthy. And think of this, he's only 20, imagine if he keeps getting better .

hose
01-28-2003, 05:18 PM

Dumb question, but if Munoz has the nasty curveball how will it break in the Arizona desert air this spring training? Arizona can really humble a pitcher.

Will Munoz have to impress to make the team that goes north or is he projected as a mid season call up?

Any thoughts on where he you think he is playing come April 1 ?

Huisj
01-28-2003, 05:24 PM
his curve must have broken pretty good last year in arizona, becuase if i remember right, he had a pretty stinking good spring last year too.

progers0826
01-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Arizona is an equalizer for Munoz's curveball. History says he won't make the team out of spring training, but you've got to believe he should have a spot if he picks up where he left off. Still I'd look for the Sox to take it somewhat slowly with him, which is wise given the winter workload and the cold weather the Sox will face in April. I'd say he starts in Charlotte and comes up fairly quick, perhaps even early May. If he's healthy, he's a mortal lock to be at Comiskey by June 20, when the Sox begin a 12-game stretch against Minnesota and the Cubs. That's my guess.

hose
01-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Arizona is an equalizer for Munoz's curveball. History says he won't make the team out of spring training, but you've got to believe he should have a spot if he picks up where he left off. Still I'd look for the Sox to take it somewhat slowly with him, which is wise given the winter workload and the cold weather the Sox will face in April. I'd say he starts in Charlotte and comes up fairly quick, perhaps even early May. If he's healthy, he's a mortal lock to be at Comiskey by June 20, when the Sox begin a 12-game stretch against Minnesota and the Cubs. That's my guess.

Fantastic, can't get enough lefthanders when facing the Twins.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Damn, you know how EXCITED I am reading this ???
I like the idea of calling this guy up after the All Star Break....
just in time for the AL Playoffs

sounds like f. rodriguez on anahiem last year. damn, this guy sounds pretty good. hopefully he will make us forget about tom fordham and mike bertotti.

Daver
01-28-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
hopefully he will make us forget about tom fordham and mike bertotti.

It already worked,I forgot about those guys years ago..........

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by daver
It already worked,I forgot about those guys years ago..........

in that case, hopefully he will make us forget about mike porzio.