PDA

View Full Version : Honel invited to ST camp

Daver
01-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Along with 9 other prospects.

The club also invited 10 current prospects to camp, including pitchers Kris Honel, Wyatt Allen, Neal Cotts and Byeong Hak An, catcher Jonathan Aceves, infielders Aaron Miles and Jorge Nunez and outfielders Scott Morgan, Anthony Sanders and Mario Valenzuela.

Complete article here. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030127&content_id=194116&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

MarkEdward
01-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by daver
Along with 9 other prospects.

The club also invited 10 current prospects to camp, including pitchers Kris Honel, Wyatt Allen, Neal Cotts and Byeong Hak An, catcher Jonathan Aceves, infielders Aaron Miles and Jorge Nunez and outfielders Scott Morgan, Anthony Sanders and Mario Valenzuela.

Complete article here. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030127&content_id=194116&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Whither Royce Ring?

And if Scott Morgan is a prospect, than I'm Mark Teixeira.

Daver
01-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Whither Royce Ring?

And if Scott Morgan is a prospect, than I'm Mark Teixeira.

Royce not being invited does not surprise me at all,the Sox traded for Koch and signed Tom Gordon,Royce would compete for what?

Scott Morgan was invited for the same reaon Mario Valenzeula was,to shaowcase him as a possible trade.

John Aceves is not exacltly a real prospect either.

delben91
01-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Royce not being invited does not surprise me at all,the Sox traded for Koch and signed Tom Gordon,Royce would compete for what?

I remember Kip Wells coming to camp either the year after, or two years after he was drafted due to a clause in his contract. (or was it not kip and someone else instead). Anyway, does anyone remember what I'm referring to, and is such a clause in contracts for first round draft choices?

MarkEdward
01-27-2003, 10:47 PM
[B]Royce not being invited does not surprise me at all,the Sox traded for Koch and signed Tom Gordon,Royce would compete for what?

Well, I understand that Royce won't be vying for a major league job this year, but why not invite him so he can toss a few against major league talent?

Why did Honel get an invite? I can't see him competing for a major league job this year.

Scott Morgan was invited for the same reaon Mario Valenzeula was,to shaowcase him as a possible trade.

Scott Morgan has the talent equivalent of a brick. I can't see him as part of any trade, even as a throw in (unless he has some spectacular defensive ability that I'm not aware of).

Daver
01-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Why did Honel get an invite?

Honel got an invite because he was a first round pick,Ring will get one next year,thats the way it works.

Morgan is a decent talent from the defensive side,and would make a decent throw in for a team that is willing to wait on him.

Huisj
01-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I remember Kip Wells coming to camp either the year after, or two years after he was drafted due to a clause in his contract. (or was it not kip and someone else instead). Anyway, does anyone remember what I'm referring to, and is such a clause in contracts for first round draft choices?

Wells didn't come to camp until two years after he was drafted--he didn't sign til december or something if i remember right, so he hadn't played at all the summer he got drafted. he pitched a year in the low minors and single A and then got invited to the big league camp the following spring if i remember right. maybe i'm wrong though.

RichH55
01-28-2003, 01:17 AM

John Aceves is not exacltly a real prospect either.

Hey crazier things that Mario coming north have happened....we arent exactly swimming in talent after C. Lee and Mags.....granted its a long shot, but Mario could get a shot somewhere one of these days, so I will be cheering for him

Hullett_Fan
01-28-2003, 09:23 AM
What's the story on Aaron Miles?? I noticed he's 26. Is he a late bloomer? Could he compete with Graffanino for utility role? Or is he decent trade bait??

doublem23
01-28-2003, 09:43 AM
After 5 mediocre (at best) seasons in the minors, Miles had a breakout year last year, lead the Southern League in hits, IIRC, and was the League MVP and now everyone thinks he's Jesus.

Randar68
01-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
After 5 mediocre (at best) seasons in the minors, Miles had a breakout year last year, lead the Southern League in hits, IIRC, and was the League MVP and now everyone thinks he's Jesus.

And despite all this, he still isn't sure what BB stands for in the stat line.

RichH55
01-29-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
And despite all this, he still isn't sure what BB stands for in the stat line.

So you are saying he should put up better numbers than Chris Singleton did?

michigan84
01-29-2003, 01:45 AM
None of these guys will make the team out of S.T. is my guess.

lighttowerpower1
01-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Honel got an invite because he was a first round pick,Ring will get one next year,thats the way it works.

If that is a a contract thing then it makes sense. From an ETA stance, I am not too sure. I don't know the ages of the two, but Honel was drafted out of HS in 2001 and Ring out of College in 2002. Ring will probably start the year in AA and could have a possible chance of a Sept call up in 2003. They seem to be letting him jump through the system at a fairly brisk pace. Honel will start at High A, maybe AA this year, but probably won't get any real ML opportunities until 2004. It seems that they are really taking their time with him and moving him along one step at a time.