PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Of the White Sox first 27 games, 14 of those are day games. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/schedule?team=chw)

Last season the Sox went 30-28 in day games.

Iwritecode
01-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Of the White Sox first 27 games, 14 of those are day games. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/schedule?team=chw)

What's with all the day games? Are we turning into the Cubs? *shudder*

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
What's with all the day games? Are we turning into the Cubs? *shudder*

Next thing we'll see is blue tarps surrounding the outfield structure to block fans from seeing games from the Robert Taylor homes.

idseer
01-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

don't most teams play a lot of day games early on?

FarmerAndy
01-27-2003, 12:41 PM
What I find even more interesting is that our first 19 games are against the Royals, Indians, and Tigers. After that it's off to Baltimore. We don't play a good team until April 25th.

They really need to capitalize on that first month's easy schedule.

FanOf14
01-27-2003, 12:47 PM
I thought the Sox typically had most of their home games during the day in April due to weather. I hate the early part of the season because I miss the games because I am at work...might not have that problem this year since I am in the process of being laid off and I can't find a job for anything.... :whiner: :angry: :whiner: :angry:

soxnut
01-27-2003, 12:59 PM
moochpuppy.........there is only one tall building left of the Robert Taylor homes to block(and one short one), by next year there will be none. I advise checking out Skidmore Owings and Merril--SOM.com(stateway gardens project) to find out more.

I don't like the idea of playing that many day games, considering their record over the past few years in them. I figure the've been scheduled that way because it's colder during the earlier part of the season, and of course it should be warmer during the day. :(: :(:

Lip Man 1
01-27-2003, 01:25 PM
I have no problem with early April day games. I've froze my rear end off at enough April games to know it's cold during the day or night. Why make it worse by playing after dark?

Just another reason baseball needs to reduce the number of games to about 140-150 and start in mid April like they used to do (Sox games never started until roughly April 10th, a few years they didn't have the home opener until after April 15th)

Lip

idseer
01-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Just another reason baseball needs to reduce the number of games to about 140-150 and start in mid April like they used to do (Sox games never started until roughly April 10th, a few years they didn't have the home opener until after April 15th)

Lip

but i will assume you won't hold your breath for that.
less games, less income. and yet there's no way the players take a relative cut in pay to offset.

SouthSideHitman
01-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I thought the Sox typically had most of their home games during the day in April due to weather. I hate the early part of the season because I miss the games because I am at work...might not have that problem this year since I am in the process of being laid off and I can't find a job for anything.... :whiner: :angry: :whiner: :angry:

Exactly, the first four games of the year are all in the afternoon on school days, AAAARRRGGH!!!! I understand that in cold-weather cities day games are warmer for fans. But what good does it do for people who can't come anyway?

LuvSox
01-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I have no problem with early April day games. I've froze my rear end off at enough April games to know it's cold during the day or night. Why make it worse by playing after dark?

Lip How about playing in the West and South for the first couple of weeks. (Just an idea, not going to do the math on number of cold city teams, etc.)

soxruleEP
01-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
How about playing in the West and South for the first couple of weeks. (Just an idea, not going to do the math on number of cold city teams, etc.)

The only problem with playing games in the wessst/south/domes to start the season is hte advantage it would give those teams to play the first two weeks of the season at home while the other half of the league plays away.

It is better than it used to be--I can recall when Minnesota opened the season at Oakland--a dome team at a warm weather team--although whether Oakland and San FRancisco are really "warm weather" is another question.

fuzzy_patters
01-28-2003, 03:06 PM
The only problem with playing games in the wessst/south/domes to start the season is hte advantage it would give those teams to play the first two weeks of the season at home while the other half of the league plays away.

As long as every team plays 81 home games, it shouldn't matter when the games are played. Any advantage gained by playing the first two weeks at home will be cancelled out by the challenge of playing extended road trips later in the season.

jcw218
01-28-2003, 10:46 PM
Playing your first games in "warm weather" cities or domes can make for interesting travel as well.

Case in point: the White Sox a few years ago. Including their final spring games they went from spring training to Las Vegas for two exhibition games them to Texas for $ games to start the season, on to Oakland for three, and finished up with three in Tampa Bay.