PDA

View Full Version : Grey Skies are bluing

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 10:41 AM
While it's exceptionally disheartening to have watched this team blow a chance to win or sweep a series from Seattle, things couldn't be looking better for the future.....

Buehrle....current and future ace.

Wright......where in the hell did this guy come from and why didn't we ever hear much about him and his mid to high 90's fastball? Can he keep it up?

Garland.....the guy has excellent excellent stuff, and thank goodness, because he needs that good stuff to pitch over all of those walks. The guy uncannily seems to find ways out of his self-created jams and he's still only 21. His control will start to improve over the next year and his stuff appears to be here to stay.

Glover.......the guy might just be working his way into the rotation. Excellent control is what is helping him through situations where he doesn't have his best stuff. He gives up hits but rarely has someone on base to benefit from the hits. I think this guy is gonna show us he's a starter. He's only 24.

Lowe....good starter and excellent reliever. I do believe you'll see a lot of shuffling of Lowe back and forth from the pen to the rotation. He's an easy going guy and seems willing to be a good soldier with all of this. The guy has stones! He could have fallen apart after the 3 run inning against the Angels and held it together and kept us in the game.

KWells....no doubt, he'll get his stuff back in the bullpen. He may prove to only be a reliever in the long run, but his prospects for being a good starter seem solid. His stuff is excellent.

Parque....Why Parque? Because he's always been pretty good, if not excellent, for the first few innings of every game he pitched. I think it's a done deal that Parque will be our lefty bullpen guy for the next 2-3 years, to go w/ Wunch, assuming Parque's and Wunsch's surgeries take.

This is a very formidable staff for the future. Don't blame injuries for this year's debacle. The current pitching staff has an ERA approximately 0.50 lower than the 2000 Sox had at this time of last season. These guys are bound to get better over the next few years. Things look good.

Right now, I think the most important cog in next year's success will be whether we get the Good Frank, the Bad Frank, or the still injured Frank.

Paulwny
08-13-2001, 11:18 AM
Hopefully Frank is the reason we're so poor offensively this year but you're right, which Frank will show up.

Fisk Fan
08-13-2001, 11:45 AM
There is still a major question to be answered. Do we hang onto Jose Canseco? He has filled in well for Thomas, but he will not get the AB's next year w/ a healthy Thomas.

Regardless, this team is much better offensively w/ a healthy Thomas. Our pitching staff would look even better with better offensive numbers. A lot of those close games go in our favor.

Iguana775
08-13-2001, 11:58 AM
bluing???? is that a word??? lol j/k.

:):):):):):):)

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:00 PM
I keep hearing that Frank is a major question mark for next season. Apparently, the rehab of the arm isn't quite going as planned. There is no guarantee that Frank will be anywhere near his old self next year. Heck, there's no guarantee he'll even be able to play. Canceco can be re-signed for cheap. Why not sign him for another year and deal him if it becomes necessary. If Frank is still hurting next year, Jose can possibly mean the difference between reaching the postseason or not.

Tragg
08-13-2001, 12:03 PM
We have quality and depth in young pitching.

We have a few real good hitters.

We're not that far away; as a matter of fact, we're fairly close. But I think Kenny Williams needs to make some moves, some perhaps bold, to get us to where we need to be.

Randar68
08-13-2001, 12:04 PM
I keep hearing that Frank is a major question mark for next season. Apparently, the rehab of the arm isn't quite going as planned. There is no guarantee that Frank will be anywhere near his old self next year. Heck, there's no guarantee he'll even be able to play. Canceco can be re-signed for cheap. Why not sign him for another year and deal him if it becomes necessary. If Frank is still hurting next year, Jose can possibly mean the difference between reaching the postseason or not.

Is there a source of this information??? Everything I have seen in print about it is that he's already swinging a bat....

Paulwny
08-13-2001, 12:07 PM
I'm also very confused about the situation.

Randar68
08-13-2001, 12:10 PM
We're not that far away; as a matter of fact, we're fairly close. But I think Kenny Williams needs to make some moves, some perhaps bold, to get us to where we need to be.

That's what I'm worried about. Outside of the Boomer deal, I have been extremely underwhelmed by the moves he's made....

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:12 PM
I heard Farmer and Rooney discussing it about 10 days ago....they were basically saying that Frank's full return next season is no guarantee for the following reasons:

1. This injury is too rare to have any kind of handle on ordinary recovery time and ability to get back to previous form.

2. Frank only recently became able to move his arm over his head and currently, the mobility in the arm is still quite limited.

3. They said he can swing a bat to some degree but is very limited in his ability to reach certain pitches....I can't recall if it was low pitches, high pitches, inside or outside corner.

I think he'll come back and be alright. I hope this has been a lesson in humility for the guy. Hopefully, he learned to miss the game a little bit and developed a desire to come back strong and not let silly things get in his head so much. I doubt it, but I sure hope so.

Iguana775
08-13-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

Parque....Why Parque? Because he's always been pretty good, if not excellent, for the first few innings of every game he pitched. I think it's a done deal that Parque will be our lefty bullpen guy for the next 2-3 years, to go w/ Wunch, assuming Parque's and Wunsch's surgeries take.

i really think that butter will be in the pen next year. i think that our rotation will cosist of:

vetern pitcher pickup - wells again???
burly - duh
garland - he's getting better
kipper - if he pitches like he did in the first half

then one of the following
glover - same as jon jon
lowe - he's just the man
wright - once he starts to get his stuff under control, he can be pretty damn good.(future closer??)

pen would be like this:
butter, glover/lowe/wright(which ever ones dont start), lorzeno the great, howry, osuna, foulke(if he is still here), kelly, embree(no, not really. just playing with you all)

now, i count 14 pitchers there so at least 2 will not be here, prolly 3 though. i think that embree will definatly not be here so that is 13. the for sure ones to be here are butter, bobby, lowe/glover/not wrong, and osuna.

that leaves keith, kelly and lorzeno as the odd men out. personally, i think kelly was a one year wounder so but he's a left and will be given the chance. so are foulke and barcelo trade bait?? not sure. i would hate to see foulke leave, but it is looking more and more like he will be delt.

well, i think i got the numbers right but i may have not. :)

thoughts???

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

That's what I'm worried about. Outside of the Boomer deal, I have been extremely underwhelmed by the moves he's made....

If we can bring back this current team, a healthy Frank and Parque, and somehow find a way to get ahold of Charles Johnson, I'd feel damn good about our chances for next season. Is that asking too much?

Jerry_Manuel
08-13-2001, 12:15 PM
I'm not so sure on Lowe, he has said he wants to be a starter and he thinks the Sox owe him the chance to. He even went as far to say that if he doesn't start he wants to be traded.

Jerry_Manuel
08-13-2001, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
If we can bring back this current team, a healthy Frank and Parque, and somehow find a way to get ahold of Charles Johnson, I'd feel damn good about our chances for next season. Is that asking too much?

Well Parque is most likely going to be in the pen and I doubt we would get CJ back.

Paulwny
08-13-2001, 12:19 PM
If Parque is sent to the pen I suspect he'll demand to be traded.

Tragg
08-13-2001, 12:19 PM
I just don't see a soft thower like Parque being a great bullpen guy.

Hey, if Sean Lowe can't make our starting rotation, this is what we do ----> WE TRADE HIM. Why? 1)he is a quality pitcher, which means value in return; 2) a guy who starts as well as he does is wasted in long relief.
And if our staff is strong enough such that lowe can't find a place, look out.

Williams' moves haven't been great. They haven't been catastrophic either. Let's not forget that Glover for Eyre must be considered a positive trade - may turn out to be one of those little trades that turns into a GREAT trade.

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775

Wright - once he starts to get his stuff under control, he can be pretty damn good.(future closer??)

Let's see if the guy can keep it up in the starting role first. So far, he looks awesome. I'd never use a good to potentially great starter as a reliever unless I actually had a glut of good to potentially great starters. Whether he keeps up his hot streak will remain to be seen, but he's currently looking scary good.

Jerry_Manuel
08-13-2001, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
If Parque is sent to the pen I suspect he'll demand to be traded.

Well then adios Jim.

Jerry_Manuel
08-13-2001, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Well he's not doing much good going five innings a game.

Tragg
08-13-2001, 12:23 PM
"I'd never use a good to potentially great starter as a reliever unless I actually had a glut of good to potentially great starters. "

Agree with that 100%.

I was impressed with Glover last night. Apparently others thought he pitched okay, not great. Anyway, it seems to me that Glover might make a good closer. He's got the heat, he's got a couple of pitches and, based on last night, he has poise and guts.

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Soft throwers have been effective bullpen guys for eons. Look at Fassero on the Cubs. Look at Lowe before he became a starter. Parque has shown that he's a lefty that can get lefties and righties out. For those that doubt it, look at last year's numbers. I'm not making him into a close or even a set up guy, but I think he'd capably handle some of those middle innings, 5th, 6th, and 7th.

Iguana775
08-13-2001, 01:25 PM
no.....butter was quoted in the tribune, i think, as saying he wouldnt mind being in the pen if that is where they need him.