PDA

View Full Version : Munoz dominates in Dominican


WinningUgly!
01-26-2003, 10:12 PM
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- In his first season in the Dominican Winter League, Arnoldo Munoz was named both Pitcher and Rookie of the Year -- a first in the history of the league.
All the left-handed reliever wants as a follow-up is a spot on the White Sox's Opening Day roster.

Munoz did more than dominate the Dominican League in 2002, putting up unheard-of numbers and throwing his filthy curveball past just about everyone, going 4-0 with a 1.55 ERA and striking out a staggering 74 in 40 2/3 innings.

I like the sound of that "filthy curveball". :)

More... (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030126&content_id=193947&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Huisj
01-26-2003, 11:34 PM
and the best part is, he's left handed, so i'll be able to follow his career for the same amount of time that i've already been alive.

gogosoxgogo
01-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Nope, we have Rick White instead. Sorry Munoz, although you deserve it, you won't be seeing any time on the south side until September (and then if you're lucky).

RichH55
01-27-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Nope, we have Rick White instead. Sorry Munoz, although you deserve it, you won't be seeing any time on the south side until September (and then if you're lucky).

Is Wunsch's job set in stone? I think Munoz has every shot of earning a spot on the team

bc2k
01-27-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Nope, we have Rick White instead. Sorry Munoz, although you deserve it, you won't be seeing any time on the south side until September (and then if you're lucky).

Relax, think about this for a second. What do you think about hiding this kid in the minors until mid-september and unleashing him in the playoffs on unsuspecting hitters? Exactly like Anaheim used KRod last year.

While I don't have the numbers in front of me, it's safe to say Munoz has thrown a lot of innings between the minors and winter ball. We can cap his innings to start the 2003 season to avoid injury or from getting "dead arm" in time for the playoffs.

Our current bullpen is a strength and Munoz could add more to the team acting as our suprise, "Ace in the hole."

And lastly, I don't think the signing of White is keeping him off the roster.

Bmr31
01-27-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Relax, think about this for a second. What do you think about hiding this kid in the minors until mid-september and unleashing him in the playoffs on unsuspecting hitters? Exactly like Anaheim used KRod last year.

While I don't have the numbers in front of me, it's safe to say Munoz has thrown a lot of innings between the minors and winter ball. We can cap his innings to start the 2003 season to avoid injury or from getting "dead arm" in time for the playoffs.

Our current bullpen is a strength and Munoz could add more to the team acting as our suprise, "Ace in the hole."

And lastly, I don't think the signing of White is keeping him off the roster.

Hmmm i dont think u can hide in the minors until mid september and pitch in the playoffs.... :gulp:

bc2k
01-27-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Hmmm i dont think u can hide in the minors until mid september and pitch in the playoffs.... :gulp:

I'm not sure of the exact date JM must turn in his playoff roster, but isn't he allowed to change it for an "injured" pitcher?

Bmr31
01-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
I'm not sure of the exact date JM must turn in his playoff roster, but isn't he allowed to change it for an "injured" pitcher?

Yeah probably. Hey speaking of that, the NBA kinda pisses me off. They know damn well that all the teams abuse the injured list and they just allow it. I saw a quote from jamal crawford today, saying he cant imagine them putting him on the injured list when Jay Williams comes back. He is not injured and either is Brunson, yet i guarantee someone goes on the IR.....whats the point of rules if youre allowed to break them?

bc2k
01-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Yeah probably. Hey speaking of that, the NBA kinda pisses me off. They know damn well that all the teams abuse the injured list and they just allow it. I saw a quote from jamal crawford today, saying he cant imagine them putting him on the injured list when Jay Williams comes back. He is not injured and either is Brunson, yet i guarantee someone goes on the IR.....whats the point of rules if youre allowed to break them?

Have you seen Brunson play? He's one of those "happy to be there guys" who is actually pretty good from the two games I saw him. Right now I'd choose him over Crawford since Cartwright refuses to use Jamal at SG. But if I had to guess, I'd say Dalibor is going to come down with "tendenitis" of the ____.

I wouldn't mind seeing JWill stay on the DL for another 5 games though. I used to think a sprained ankle was nothing and didn't understand why players missed games becuase of it. Since I sprained my ankle playing ball last semester, I understand the pain and awkwardness of simply walking with it. On top of that, JWill played a couple days after the original injury and turned it a second time.

Wouldn't it be something if neither Crawford or a healthy JWill were the best point guards on the team? Rick Brunson, starting point guard?

Bmr31
01-27-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Have you seen Brunson play? He's one of those "happy to be there guys" who is actually pretty good from the two games I saw him. Right now I'd choose him over Crawford since Cartwright refuses to use Jamal at SG. But if I had to guess, I'd say Dalibor is going to come down with "tendenitis" of the ____.

I wouldn't mind seeing JWill stay on the DL for another 5 games though. I used to think a sprained ankle was nothing and didn't understand why players missed games becuase of it. Since I sprained my ankle playing ball last semester, I understand the pain and awkwardness of simply walking with it. On top of that, JWill played a couple days after the original injury and turned it a second time.

Wouldn't it be something if neither Crawford or a healthy JWill were the best point guards on the team? Rick Brunson, starting point guard?

Actually, from what i have seen, Brunson is the best of the three. However, the Bulls arent going anywhere this season anyway, so they need to groom the young guys. Personally, i feel we need to make a couple of two for one trades. I think Crawford, EROB, Jalen, and Marshall should be traded in 2 for 1's......

duke of dorwood
01-27-2003, 07:53 AM
When did Munoz become a basketball subject?

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
whats the point of rules if youre allowed to break them?

I always thought rules were meant to be broken? Or is that records? I forget.

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
When did Munoz become a basketball subject?

He's that good!

Huisj
01-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Have you seen Brunson play? He's one of those "happy to be there guys" who is actually pretty good from the two games I saw him. Right now I'd choose him over Crawford since Cartwright refuses to use Jamal at SG. But if I had to guess, I'd say Dalibor is going to come down with "tendenitis" of the ____.

I wouldn't mind seeing JWill stay on the DL for another 5 games though. I used to think a sprained ankle was nothing and didn't understand why players missed games becuase of it. Since I sprained my ankle playing ball last semester, I understand the pain and awkwardness of simply walking with it. On top of that, JWill played a couple days after the original injury and turned it a second time.

Wouldn't it be something if neither Crawford or a healthy JWill were the best point guards on the team? Rick Brunson, starting point guard?

yeah, sprained ankles suck. I just sprained mine saturday evening playing basketball. couldn't do a darn thing yesterday. looked like my ankle had a silicon implant in it.

gosox41
01-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Relax, think about this for a second. What do you think about hiding this kid in the minors until mid-september and unleashing him in the playoffs on unsuspecting hitters? Exactly like Anaheim used KRod last year.

While I don't have the numbers in front of me, it's safe to say Munoz has thrown a lot of innings between the minors and winter ball. We can cap his innings to start the 2003 season to avoid injury or from getting "dead arm" in time for the playoffs.

Our current bullpen is a strength and Munoz could add more to the team acting as our suprise, "Ace in the hole."

And lastly, I don't think the signing of White is keeping him off the roster.

It's nice to see fans planning the playoff roster already. Just remember those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. If I remember correctly everyone was thinking playoffs in 2001 with Wells and again in 2002 when the Sox young arms were healthy. The win totals declined in each of those years as the Sox proved they can't handle the role of being the favorites.

Because of the Sox notoriously lousy history as a baseball franchise I think it's a good idea to make the playoffs before we start worrying about the playoff roster.

The Sox haven't won a thing yet in 2003. The Twins are the AL Central champs and the team to beat until someone knocks them off. All this talk of the Twins overacheiving might be over done. They went from 87 wins in 2001 to 94 in 2002 with the same team. I don't think they're a fluke and shouldn't be treated as such.

Bob

gogosoxgogo
01-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Relax, think about this for a second. What do you think about hiding this kid in the minors until mid-september and unleashing him in the playoffs on unsuspecting hitters? Exactly like Anaheim used KRod last year.

While I don't have the numbers in front of me, it's safe to say Munoz has thrown a lot of innings between the minors and winter ball. We can cap his innings to start the 2003 season to avoid injury or from getting "dead arm" in time for the playoffs.

Our current bullpen is a strength and Munoz could add more to the team acting as our suprise, "Ace in the hole."

And lastly, I don't think the signing of White is keeping him off the roster.

I wouldn't try that. Bringing a kid up just for the playoffs may scare the **** out of him and completely ruin his confidence. That's not a good time to be throwing a rookie into the majors IMO. Yes, it worked for K-Rod, but you can't assume that just because it worked for him, it will work for Muniz as well.

gogosoxgogo
01-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Is Wunsch's job set in stone? I think Munoz has every shot of earning a spot on the team

No, but as we all know, the 'veteran' always gets the nod over the rookie, with no consideration over who the better pitcher is. I don't see Munoz making the major league squad this year. I hope I eat those words.

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
No, but as we all know, the 'veteran' always gets the nod over the rookie, with no consideration over who the better pitcher is.

Has there been a Dusty Baker sighting at Comiskey?

RichH55
01-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
No, but as we all know, the 'veteran' always gets the nod over the rookie, with no consideration over who the better pitcher is. I don't see Munoz making the major league squad this year. I hope I eat those words.

I think Munoz is going to get a fair shake...if he deserves it he will come up...that being said we will have to wait to see

hold2dibber
01-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I think Munoz is going to get a fair shake...if he deserves it he will come up...that being said we will have to wait to see

It may depend upon whether the Sox carry 11 or 12 pitchers. It also may depend upon how well Heredia and Loiaza look in S.T. If those guys impress enough to be kept in long relief (or to push Rauch into long relief), Munoz may be squeezed out.

IMHO, right now there are five bullpen slots that are pretty much guaranteed: Koch, Marte, Gordon, White and Glover. The guys who will be fighting for the last one or two spots (depending upon how many pitchers the Sox carry) are: Wunsch, Munoz, Loaiza, Heredia, Ginter and Almonte.

maurice
01-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
IMHO, right now there are five bullpen slots that are pretty much guaranteed: Koch, Marte, Gordon, White and Glover. The guys who will be fighting for the last one or two spots (depending upon how many pitchers the Sox carry) are: Wunsch, Munoz, Loaiza, Heredia, Ginter and Almonte.

I agree, though maybe you should add Sanders and Stewart to the mix. Of the "guaranteed" slots, there really isn't a long reliever. I suppose Glover could fill that role, but he's much better in shorter stints. Knowing JM, he'll want a seven-man pen, including a lefty specialist, for maximum tinkering. That leaves: (1) Rauch, Loaiza, Heredia, Ginter, Sanders, and Stewart fighting for the #5 starter and long-relief slots; (2) Wunsch and Munoz fighting for the lefty specialist slot; and (3) Almonte as the odd man out (unless Glover's the long reliever), since Almonte is neither a lefty nor a long-reliever. My best guess is that Rauch wins the #5 job, Loaiza starts in long relief, and Munoz beats out Wunsch with a strong spring (sorry Kelly fans).