PDA

View Full Version : TSN on Olivo

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Miguel Olivo, C, White Sox, Age: 24. Olivo is a superb defensive catcher who might be the biggest fantasy sleeper of 2003. There are a metric ton of caveats here, but we are talking about a guy who batted .306-6-49 with excellent bat control (66-40 K/BB ratio) and good extra-base power (24 doubles, 10 triples). And oh, did I mention the 29 steals (13 caught stealing)? That performance at Double-A Birmingham is about the same as going .289-7-57 in a full season (464 at-bats) at Comiskey Park. Of course, that also includes 30 doubles, 10 triples and 35 steals. Basically, Olivo looks like Jason Kendall Jr. He probably won't steal more than 15 bags in the majors, but he has a good shot at starting in Chicago this season.

I think this is a little unrealistic... but if he could do anything like that in his first year, I'd be overly thrilled.

Daver
01-24-2003, 08:00 PM
He probably won't put up close to those numbers against MLB pitching,aside from a few AB's in September he has never faced better than AA pitching.

Bmr31
01-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I think this is a little unrealistic... but if he could do anything like that in his first year, I'd be overly thrilled.

Did Olivos mother write that? That was just crazy. According to his logic, every prospect will become rookie of the year.

34 Inch Stick
01-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Give me a .250 average with few K's and great defensive work and I will be more than happy. Just be good enough to keep Alomar/Paul off the field.

RKMeibalane
01-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Agreed. Olivio has a bright future, but I think he will struggle initially, because he doesn't have enough experience against Major League pitching. But I would much rather see him out there than Josh Paul or Sandy Alomar Jr. Those two did nothing last season. Paul's most memorable moment was starting in LF the final day of the regular season- another great "tinkering" move by Manuel.

RichH55
01-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Agreed. Olivio has a bright future, but I think he will struggle initially, because he doesn't have enough experience against Major League pitching. But I would much rather see him out there than Josh Paul or Sandy Alomar Jr. Those two did nothing last season. Paul's most memorable moment was starting in LF the final day of the regular season- another great "tinkering" move by Manuel.

Even his rookie struggles are better than MJ/Paul.....I've been at peace with Olivo starting for some time now

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-25-2003, 05:05 PM
im sure Olivo will make us forget about jorge fabergas, chad kreuter, mark johnson, josh paul, don slaught, greg myers, charlie o'brien, sandy alomar, mike LaValliere. wow thats alot of sub-average catchers that we have had in recent years.

hold2dibber
01-26-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
im sure Olivo will make us forget about jorge fabergas, chad kreuter, mark johnson, josh paul, don slaught, greg myers, charlie o'brien, sandy alomar, mike LaValliere. wow thats alot of sub-average catchers that we have had in recent years.

I will never, ever, ever, forget Mike ("Spanky") LaValliere.

RichH55
01-26-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I will never, ever, ever, forget Mike ("Spanky") LaValliere.

I always a fan of Charlie O'brien....none of these rumdumbs could hit(I mean they couldnt hit to the point where people looked on MJ as if he had potential). So if the guy can't hit a lick anyway then O'brien's resume looks pretty good to me

fuzzy_patters
01-26-2003, 10:45 AM
I always a fan of Charlie O'brien....none of these rumdumbs could hit(I mean they couldnt hit to the point where people looked on MJ as if he had potential). So if the guy can't hit a lick anyway then O'brien's resume looks pretty good to me

Actually, Jorge Fabregas could hit. Defense was his weakness.