PDA

View Full Version : Brian Daubach?


Kid Kip
01-24-2003, 07:53 PM
A friend of mine from Belleville, IL, where Brian Daubach is from, indicated that Daubach will sign with the Sox in the next week. Apparently, Daubach has been telling people as much.
I don't know if this is really gonna happen, but I was wondering what people thought of it and its likelyhood.
Thanks.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
A friend of mine from Belleville, IL, where Brian Daubach is from, indicated that Daubach will sign with the Sox in the next week. Apparently, Daubach has been telling people as much.
I don't know if this is really gonna happen, but I was wondering what people thought of it and its likelyhood.
Thanks.

I'd like it. He'd be a great guy to give us a little power off of the bench.

ozzman
01-24-2003, 08:00 PM
it would give us a solid bat off the bench

Daver
01-24-2003, 08:02 PM
A utility guy with some pop in his bat,the question is why bother unless someone is getting moved.......

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by daver
A utility guy with some pop in his bat,the question is why bother unless someone is getting moved.......

That's my worry... who would we lose? Maybe a trade is brewing to get rid of excess players? I'm not sure If I'd call Daubach utility. He has very limited range and is mostly at 1B but could play Corner Outfield if necessary. I can't see him playing second, short, third or center.

Daver
01-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
That's my worry... who would we lose? Maybe a trade is brewing to get rid of excess players? I'm not sure If I'd call Daubach utility. He has very limited range and is mostly at 1B but could play Corner Outfield if necessary. I can't see him playing second, short, third or center.

By utility I meant a Jeff Liefer type,not a utility infeilder,that is something completely different.

duke of dorwood
01-24-2003, 08:20 PM
We still have 3 catchers. And the Rick White signing makes me wonder about Gary Glover

hose
01-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by daver
By utility I meant a Jeff Liefer type,not a utility infeilder,that is something completely different.


"A Jeff Liefer type"

Could this be a new name for the industry standard?...LOL

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by daver
By utility I meant a Jeff Liefer type,not a utility infeilder,that is something completely different.

Sorry, when I think of utility, I think of a utility infielder.

Jjav829
01-25-2003, 10:09 AM
I'd take him. As it stands our backup 1B would be...Graffanino? We could use Daubach's bat off the bench.

WinningUgly!
01-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I'd take him. As it stands our backup 1B would be...Graffanino? We could use Daubach's bat off the bench.

"Um, hello? Forgetting someone?"
:hurt

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-25-2003, 12:00 PM
i dont know. i could see we could use a backup at first/dh with liefer gone, but i wouldnt call it necessary. Frank could play first if he had to. it wouldnt be pretty, but he has experience there.

:versatile
"I can play there too."

Jjav829
01-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
"Um, hello? Forgetting someone?"
:hurt

Yeah hes going to play some games at first, but if Konerko gets hurt during at game where he is at first, then we're gonna move Frank to 1B and play the rest of the game with our pitcher hitting? Maybe if it occurs in the 7th that wouldn't be too bad, but say it occurs in the first inning. That wouldn't be the best move. If it is a serious injury that forces Konerko to the DL, we can't count on Frank to play every game at 1B. I would prefer to get someone to put in the Jeff Liefer role. Daubach can play a little OF as well. Granted it won't be pretty but he can't be much worse than Liefer.

RKMeibalane
01-25-2003, 12:15 PM
I think a lot will depend on whether Frank Thomas is willing to play first base more this season. Back in November, he mentioned that he is interested in seeing more time there, but that may have been a ploy to attract interest from National League teams.

I think Manuel should experiment with Frank at first during Spring Training. If things work out okay, there's no reason why Thomas can't play in the field more. His throwing skills leave much to be desired, but he's a decent fielding first baseman. His range is better than Konerko's. Also, having him at first would allow the Sox to rest Konerko by playing him at DH occassionally. I like that option better than having Konerko not play at all.

RichH55
01-25-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think a lot will depend on whether Frank Thomas is willing to play first base more this season. Back in November, he mentioned that he is interested in seeing more time there, but that may have been a ploy to attract interest from National League teams.

I think Manuel should experiment with Frank at first during Spring Training. If things work out okay, there's no reason why Thomas can't play in the field more. His throwing skills leave much to be desired, but he's a decent fielding first baseman. His range is better than Konerko's. Also, having him at first would allow the Sox to rest Konerko by playing him at DH occassionally. I like that option better than having Konerko not play at all.

I think Frank's playing time at first only sees a serious increase if : PK gets hurt or Frank is back to putting up Frank numbers and you don't want to lose his bat for the interleague games

joecrede
01-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Daubach would be a nice get. He could play corner outfield and would provide be insurance if something happens to Thomas, Lee, or Konerko. It would also give Manuel two left-handed bats enabling him to pinch-hit for both Olivio and Rowand late in games.

Daubach's OPS last year was +116 compared to Konerko's +123. In '01 Daubach's OPS was +122 while Konerko's was +120. Makes you think they overpaid for Konerko with guys like Daubach and Ortiz floating around. :)

voodoochile
01-25-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah hes going to play some games at first, but if Konerko gets hurt during at game where he is at first, then we're gonna move Frank to 1B and play the rest of the game with our pitcher hitting? Maybe if it occurs in the 7th that wouldn't be too bad, but say it occurs in the first inning. That wouldn't be the best move. If it is a serious injury that forces Konerko to the DL, we can't count on Frank to play every game at 1B. I would prefer to get someone to put in the Jeff Liefer role. Daubach can play a little OF as well. Granted it won't be pretty but he can't be much worse than Liefer.

Valentin has played first before as has Carlos Lee (briefly) I also imagine Crede could play there in a pinch, letting Valentin or Graff play 3B in an emergency. Sox do not need to carry a backup 1B/DH. How many other teams do anyway?

joecrede
01-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Valentin has played first before as has Carlos Lee (briefly) I also imagine Crede could play there in a pinch, letting Valentin or Graff play 3B in an emergency. Sox do not need to carry a backup 1B/DH. How many other teams do anyway?

Graffinino doesn't hit well enough to make up for how bad he is defensively at short or third. He's strictly a 2nd baseman in my view.

voodoochile
01-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Graffinino doesn't hit well enough to make up for how bad he is defensively at short or third. He's strictly a 2nd baseman in my view.

He wouldn't be a regular there. The premise was if Konerko got injured, who would play first base without giving up the DH slot. It would clearly be better to move people around for the rest of a single game or two than carry a guy who "might" be used in a pinch...

Jjav829
01-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He wouldn't be a regular there. The premise was if Konerko got injured, who would play first base without giving up the DH slot. It would clearly be better to move people around for the rest of a single game or two than carry a guy who "might" be used in a pinch...

Well he wouldn't just be carried around in case of an injury. That was simply one point I brought up. He would also give us some decent power from the left side. He could be used to give Konerko/Thomas/Lee/Ordonez days off. Who would you rather have come to the plate if we need a lefty, Rios, Harris or Daubach? I'd rather have Daubach. Of course this could be a moot point if the rumor isn't true.

joecrede
01-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He wouldn't be a regular there. The premise was if Konerko got injured, who would play first base without giving up the DH slot. It would clearly be better to move people around for the rest of a single game or two than carry a guy who "might" be used in a pinch...

By my projections Daubach would take the roster of either the 12th pitcher or the 3rd catcher. He'd be much more useful than either of those.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Valentin has played first before as has Carlos Lee (briefly) I also imagine Crede could play there in a pinch, letting Valentin or Graff play 3B in an emergency. Sox do not need to carry a backup 1B/DH. How many other teams do anyway?

Ventura used to cover first late in the game, so yes, i would imagine Crede could do it if absolutely called upon.

RichH55
01-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
By my projections Daubach would take the roster of either the 12th pitcher or the 3rd catcher. He'd be much more useful than either of those.

But what about the immortal Mike Porzio??!?!? FOR THE LOVE OF PETE WHO WILL CARE FOR PORZIO!

DrCrawdad
01-27-2003, 11:53 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6118.jpg

What's going on with this Hot Stove rumour? Is there any basis to believe that this is going to happen?

- DrCrawdad.

Jjav829
01-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6118.jpg

What's going on with this Hot Stove rumour? Is there any basis to believe that this is going to happen?

- DrCrawdad.

Nothing has been rumored except for what was posted here. The Braves were interested at one point, but with Fick they probably don't have much interest. Daubach doesn't want to go to Japan, and has talked to the Rays where he would atleast have a shot to start, though for an awful team.

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 03:25 PM
Brian Daubach = Dan Pasqua

It would be nice to have his bat off the bench but with Konerko and Thomas I don't see Daubach getting on the field at all.

moochpuppy
01-27-2003, 03:49 PM
This is the only link I can find on the subject so far.

Brain Daubach signs with Sox (http://www.rotoworld.com/display1.asp?page=news&sport=MLB)

jeremyb1
01-27-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
By my projections Daubach would take the roster of either the 12th pitcher or the 3rd catcher. He'd be much more useful than either of those.

personally despite kw's claims we're only carrying 11 pitchers, i don't know how that will be possible. right now we have glover, koch, marte, wunsch, gordon, and white in the pen and none of those six pitchers are effective for much longer than two innings. we need a long reliever and now that we signed loaiza and heredia to minor league deals, we should definately be able to find a long reliever and a fifth starter out of the group of herdia, rauch, and loaiza. you also have munoz and ginter in the mix. i can't see keeping josh paul on the roster in favor of an aditional valuable reliever when kw seems so excited about having a strong pen.

where daubach fits i don't know. one possibility would be harris' spot but i don't know who our backup center fielder is in that case.