PDA

View Full Version : Sully Ripped...By CUBS fans!

Lip Man 1
01-24-2003, 12:34 AM
What was that about a "conspiracy" against the Sox? Sully's already getting beat up by Cubs fans! This is from the Tribune's "View from A Cubs Fan..."

Why does everybody always blindly bash Cub fans at Wrigley for not paying attention to the game and blindly praise Sox fans as though they are all experts on the game and keep track of almost every pitch. Give me a break!

I've been a diehard Cub fan all my life and been to quite a few games. I often talk to the people sitting next to me about the game, and I am often impressed with their knowledge.

This claim that the Cubsí fans don't care about the game and that Sox fans are "real fans" is simply a cowardly way for Sox fans to deal with their own embarrassment for their terrible attendance at Comiskey.

Not only does the claim have no actual merit, I have mathematically disproved its logic in my head. Think about it. If 15,000 Sox fans attend a game at Comiskey, letís assume that 100 percent of them all pay close attention to the game - a premise which is both impossible and ludicrous but we shall pretend this is true.

Then 30,000 fans attend a Cubs game. Letís just say that only 51 percent of these supposed knowledgeable drunk Cubs fans pay attention. That still beats the number of those "diehard" Sox fans "closely paying attention".

So Sox fans, bias sports reporters, and anyone else who has the audacity to say that Cubsí fans are inferior - your claim is pure fallacy. You know as well as I do that you are just ashamed of your fans, Comiskey and your team.

And most of all, you're jealous of beautiful Wrigley Field and the loyalty of Cub fans around the world. Go believe what you want, but deep down we all know the truth.

Me thinks this guy has spent to much time in the bleacher sun! I feel sorry for Sully having to put up with this! (LOL)

Lip

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Can we please kill off every last Cub fan. I hate them all. They are so ****ing ignorant and stupid. I can't stand anything they say.

fuzzy_patters
01-24-2003, 12:42 AM
Can we please kill off every last Cub fan. I hate them all. They are so ****ing ignorant and stupid. I can't stand anything they say.

This is not a good time to be killing Cub fans. The loss of the floppy hat industry would further decimate and already struggling economy.

34rancher
01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Not to mention a cheesehead on top of that.

bc2k
01-24-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Not only does the claim have no actual merit, I have mathematically disproved its logic in my head.

Well in that case...

Think about it. If 15,000 Sox fans attend a game at Comiskey, letís assume that 100 percent of them all pay close attention to the game - a premise which is both impossible and ludicrous but we shall pretend this is true.

Then 30,000 fans attend a Cubs game. Letís just say that only 51 percent of these supposed knowledgeable drunk Cubs fans pay attention. That still beats the number of those "diehard" Sox fans "closely paying attention".

This guy is proving that the Sox do have more baseball intelligent fans, percentage wise, than Cubs fans.

So Sox fans, bias sports reporters, and anyone else who has the audacity to say that Cubsí fans are inferior - your claim is pure fallacy. You know as well as I do that you are just ashamed of your fans, Comiskey and your team.

You pee in a trauph.

And most of all, you're jealous of beautiful Wrigley Field and the loyalty of Cub fans around the world. Go believe what you want, but deep down we all know the truth.

Fine, but you pee in a trauph surrounded by men from Boys' town.

Did I spell trauph right? Doesn't look right.

moochpuppy
01-24-2003, 08:28 AM
This claim that the Cubsí fans don't care about the game and that Sox fans are "real fans" is simply a cowardly way for Sox fans to deal with their own embarrassment for their terrible attendance at Comiskey.

Wow, I've never seen a Cubs fan bring that up before. Oh well, there's no use crying over dead ivy.

Jjav829
01-24-2003, 08:32 AM

I've been a diehard Cub fan all my life and been to quite a few games. I often talk to the people sitting next to me about the game, and I am often impressed with their knowledge.
Lip

Yeah, hes probably impressed that the person he talked to can actually name a player on the Cubs not named Sosa.

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 09:47 AM
T-R-O-U-G-H is how trough is spelled.
I remember winning a spelling bee once..
knew that would come in handy sometime

Dadawg_77
01-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Hey before we go knocking peeing in a trough, didn't the Old Comiskey have them?

cheeses_h_rice
01-24-2003, 10:13 AM
If it weren't for corporations, tourists, old ladies from Iowa, and the dumbsh*t Yuppies puking all over the bleachers, the Flubbies would never sell out.

Hey, even when Comiskey sells out, I get annoyed with the "fans" that come out. There just aren't that many intelligent, true baseball fans to begin with. My perfect crowd would be about 25,000-27,000 enthusiastic Sox fans.

THE_HOOTER
01-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Cheeses,

You hit it on the head.

Comiskey sold out is an extremely annoying place.

To get a sell out, you have to get the element of people you don't care and go just to have fun.

I will never understand the argument of knowledgable fans versus stupid fans.

Isn't baseball just supposed to be about fun, winning, beer, and chicks with big boobs?

I don't think you need to be knowledgable to enjoy all of those things.

The winning part is very important. I guess that might be the difference- If I go to a game and the Sox don't win, I really dont enjoy myself that much.

cheeses_h_rice
01-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Cheeses,

You hit it on the head.

Comiskey sold out is an extremely annoying place.

To get a sell out, you have to get the element of people you don't care and go just to have fun.

I will never understand the argument of knowledgable fans versus stupid fans.

Isn't baseball just supposed to be about fun, winning, beer, and chicks with big boobs?

I don't think you need to be knowledgable to enjoy all of those things.

The winning part is very important. I guess that might be the difference- If I go to a game and the Sox don't win, I really dont enjoy myself that much.

Well, it isn't an issue of "ye olde baseball scribes" vs. the dumb average fan. I'm talking about plain old TAKING INTEREST in the events on the field vs. yakking on your cellphone, getting plastered with your buddies to the point where you're a distraction to others around you. I can honestly say that at Wrigley Field I have almost always been surrounded by some element of idiots who are just there to be seen, soak up some sun, and mack on chicks/dudes. You don't have to know the intricacies of baseball rules, histories of the squads, or any of that stuff -- just know the basics, watch the game, and respond accordingly.

moochpuppy
01-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I'm talking about plain old TAKING INTEREST in the events on the field vs. yakking on your cellphone, getting plastered with your buddies to the point where you're a distraction to others around you. I can honestly say that at Wrigley Field I have almost always been surrounded by some element of idiots who are just there to be seen, soak up some sun, and mack on chicks/dudes. You don't have to know the intricacies of baseball rules, histories of the squads, or any of that stuff -- just know the basics, watch the game, and respond accordingly.

I can honestly say that I have not had a problem with drunkerds at either park but I can say that I have better conversations about the game, players, etc. at Comiskey. I've even had better baseball talk at the Metrodome than I have at Wrigley.

gosox41
01-24-2003, 11:28 AM
What was that about a "conspiracy" against the Sox? Sully's already getting beat up by Cubs fans! This is from the Tribune's "View from A Cubs Fan..."

Why does everybody always blindly bash Cub fans at Wrigley for not paying attention to the game and blindly praise Sox fans as though they are all experts on the game and keep track of almost every pitch. Give me a break!

Not only does the claim have no actual merit, I have mathematically disproved its logic in my head. Think about it. If 15,000 Sox fans attend a game at Comiskey, letís assume that 100 percent of them all pay close attention to the game - a premise which is both impossible and ludicrous but we shall pretend this is true.

Me thinks this guy has spent to much time in the bleacher sun! I feel sorry for Sully having to put up with this! (LOL)

Lip

The only thing that was proven here was that Cub fans are idiots. If the Sox played on the northside of town then this guy would be a Sox fan complaining about Cub fans.

Bob

doublem23
01-24-2003, 11:38 AM
The Tribune, and all their baseball writers, still blow.

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 11:50 AM
One peculiar thing ive noticed about being at Wrigley
(besides the obvious people getting totally drunk, not paying
attention to the game, the hot chicks walking around every
30 seconds to go to the bathroom,
making whole sections of cubfans notice them, etc etc)
Is the number of people in the stands who Get Hit
With Foul Balls and get hurt. I always amazed that people
just arent paying attention, and someone every inning (thats right, at least when I started counting anyway) SOMEONE GOT HIT IN THE FACE, Got Bloodied Up, etc, because of a foul ball.
NOBODIES PAYING ATTENTION unless sammys batting.
incredible to see all of that unfold right in front of you the whole game. I saw this cub fan, pretty big muscle-head too, talking
to his buds, all of them turned towards RF, getting some play
from some chicks couple rows over. Line Drive comes right at
the guy, he turned at the last second (because the crowd now
notices this thing flying at them) and he moves out of the way
and this 10yr old kid gets smacked right in the face (he was eating a hotdog and wasnt looking either) kid was bleeding
everywhere and I couldt believe I saw that happen.
dumb fans

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 12:02 PM
This has to be the best one though.
Remember when the cubs made the "playoffs" against Atlanta?
I lived a few blocks away from Club Wrigley at the time,
so I watched that game at Sports Corner. in the 1st inning
I believe, someone on the cubs hit a solo HR to right field,
just made it out, about 3 rows in the seats. think it was B Brown.
well, the games on the TV, and its his next time up to bat.
im sipping my beer, and on the TV, you hear the announcers
CLEARLY saying, 'heres brown, homered his last at-bat'. The
network then cuts to a REPLAY of his last AB, they show him
sizing up the pitch,,,the pitcher winds-up...he swings, and they
show the ball heading towards RF...the outfielder jumping and
not catching it. Well, cub-fans in that bar, EVERY SINGLE FAN IN THAT BAR, they of the short attention span, ROAR at the Swing, and everyone is cheering for that ball to get out ...back, back, back...(meanwhile, I turn around thnking to myself, these people CANNOT actually think this is a real homerun, this is the dang REPLAY!!!) I turn, and thereplay shows the ball going OUT, and the whole BAR ERUPTS IN CHEERS AND HI-5's!!! I get the biggest smile on my face, realizing yet again, how stupid those
people can be sometimes. Well, immediately afterwards, the
Network cuts immediately to Brown cleaning his shoes and stepping into the batters box, the WHOLE BAR THEN GROOANS REALIZING IT WAS A REPLAY!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE.
I LAUGHED OUT LOUD AND Called them a bunch of Losers & Loudly chastised them for not watching the game!!!! A good % of the fans then started on me..but thats another story.

cheeses_h_rice
01-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
This has to be the best one though.
Remember when the cubs made the "playoffs" against Atlanta?
I lived a few blocks away from Club Wrigley at the time,
so I watched that game at Sports Corner. in the 1st inning
I believe, someone on the cubs hit a solo HR to right field,
just made it out, about 3 rows in the seats. think it was B Brown.
well, the games on the TV, and its his next time up to bat.
im sipping my beer, and on the TV, you hear the announcers
CLEARLY saying, 'heres brown, homered his last at-bat'. The
network then cuts to a REPLAY of his last AB, they show him
sizing up the pitch,,,the pitcher winds-up...he swings, and they
show the ball heading towards RF...the outfielder jumping and
not catching it. Well, cub-fans in that bar, EVERY SINGLE FAN IN THAT BAR, they of the short attention span, ROAR at the Swing, and everyone is cheering for that ball to get out ...back, back, back...(meanwhile, I turn around thnking to myself, these people CANNOT actually think this is a real homerun, this is the dang REPLAY!!!) I turn, and thereplay shows the ball going OUT, and the whole BAR ERUPTS IN CHEERS AND HI-5's!!! I get the biggest smile on my face, realizing yet again, how stupid those
people can be sometimes. Well, immediately afterwards, the
Network cuts immediately to Brown cleaning his shoes and stepping into the batters box, the WHOLE BAR THEN GROOANS REALIZING IT WAS A REPLAY!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE.
I LAUGHED OUT LOUD AND Called them a bunch of Losers & Loudly chastised them for not watching the game!!!! A good % of the fans then started on me..but thats another story.

Fuh-nny. I also quite like when the crowd oohs and ahhs over routine fly balls, especially when Sham-ME hits them.

Iwritecode
01-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah, hes probably impressed that the person he talked to can actually name a player on the Cubs not named Sosa.

Mark Grace and Ryne Sandberg don't count...

Iwritecode
01-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Did I spell trauph right? Doesn't look right.

There is a "spell check" button right next to the "submit reply" and "preview reply" buttons when you make a post.

:)

PaleHoseGeorge
01-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Fuh-nny. I also quite like when the crowd oohs and ahhs over routine fly balls, especially when Sham-ME hits them.

This is so true. In fact, Flub fans have been oohing and ahhing over pop flies for years. They've become conditioned to expect miracles after seeing countless banjo hitters slap 370-foot dingers thanks to a favorable wind that blew the popup an extra forty feet into the basket. Before Shammy, it was Ryne Sandberg. Before that, it was Jody Davis. Before that, it was Jim Hickman. Etcetera, Etcetera.

Morons. It's as if they never realize the idiot taking the big upper-cut swing didn't just make an out when the wind factor inevitably fails to materialize. They just go right ahead applauding him all the way back to the bench.

Complete morons. Complete losers, too.

soxtalker
01-24-2003, 02:37 PM
I found the most interesting thing about the Cubs fan's letter to the Tribune to be his apparent assertion that the sports reporters are biased toward the Sox. Reminds me of the days back when the Bulls were winning championships. We Chicago fans were certain that the announcers were biased against the Bulls. Then I heard interviews from the other city that they felt that their team was being slighted. Ever since then, I tend to give the reporters the benefit of the doubt. The relative number of articles for each team, however, is hard to discount.

RKMeibalane
01-24-2003, 02:47 PM
As far as Cubs fans are concerned, I'm going to quote Master Yoda:

"Much to learn they still have."

jeremyb1
01-24-2003, 03:10 PM
i guess i just have personal experience to go by but amongst my friends that are sox fans, i'd say more than half of them are diehards. they watch or listen to nearly every game, follow the far system, etc. that probably applies to 80% of the 10-15 sox fans i'm good friends with.

of the cubs fans i know, some make serious attempts to follow the team. the majority of the time they know if their team won or lost last season. however, even with these fans i find myself telling them about their own team's prospects and whatnot. also, when they try to make certain baseball arguments about their team, they never seem like good independent thought. they're always regurgitated from something they read in the trib or heard on the cub's broadcast. those are the good cub fans i know.

i see a number of people who would struggle to call themselves baseball fans coming out to support the cubs. i see a number of these fans adorned not even in cubs paraphanalia but wrigly paraphanalia. these fans rarely know if the cubs won the night before let alone where they sit in the standings. these people account for probably at least a third of the cubs fans i come across. however, these fans quite possibly account for an even larger percentage of those that consider themselves fans and attend games because due to their low interested in the team the majority of the time, they don't tend to be easily identified as baseball fans let alone cubs fans.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 04:47 PM

I wouldn't call it oohing and aahing. It's more like jumping out of their seats, screaming their lungs off, high fiving each other, watching Sammy do his gay little hop and then the second basemen catch the ball a few steps before the outfield grass. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be fly balls, foul bouls work just as well. The best part of it though, has to be Chip Carray calling the home run when it's a foul ball behind the plate.

Originally posted by jeremyb1
of the cubs fans i know, some make serious attempts to follow the team. the majority of the time they know if their team won or lost last season. however, even with these fans i find myself telling them about their own team's prospects and whatnot. also, when they try to make certain baseball arguments about their team, they never seem like good independent thought. they're always regurgitated from something they read in the trib or heard on the cub's broadcast. those are the good cub fans i know.
Oh man, this is so true. I know so much more than almost every Cub fan I know. Most of the time, they can't even name their starting lineup or who is pitching for them, let alone their farm system. I know it's a good day for them when they know who won the previous night.

WinningUgly!
01-24-2003, 06:40 PM

My favorite is when SamME hits a routine popfly & the camera-man jerks the camera straight up in the air, like the ball is heading for the street.

RedPinStripes
01-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Oh man, that's a funny coloumn. He shows almost every reason why we rip them.

ChiSox1983
01-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Oh brother 51% mmm that still leaves 49% of people who couldnt tell me who the starting pitcher was for the game. If this guy is such a Cubs fan who was the starting pitcher for game 5 of the NLCS in 1989?? then maybe I will believe your one of the 51% like me.

jortafan
01-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ChiCubs1984
Oh brother 51% mmm that still leaves 49% of people who couldnt tell me who the starting pitcher was for the game. If this guy is such a Cubs fan who was the starting pitcher for game 5 of the NLCS in 1989?? then maybe I will believe your one of the 51% like me.

Who's kidding whom?

You're lucky to get 10 percent of the people at Wrigley actually paying attention to the game.