PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin signs Minor League Deal with KC

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 02:34 PM
Per ESPN Radio 1000. Really shows you how his stock has dropped. A minor league deal with KC? Ouch.

hold2dibber
01-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Because KC's rotation is so young (not one guy who won more than 5 games last year), I think it is pretty likely that he will end up in their rotation at some point this year. Probably better for JB than going to a team with limited openings in the rotation. KC's rotation is basically up for grabs. Still, you're right, it is pretty amazing that he's in the position he's in - IIRC, he was the winning pitcher in the All-Star game in 2000, for Pete's sake!

DrCrawdad
01-23-2003, 09:58 PM
BALDWIN'S STATS

DrCrawdad
01-23-2003, 10:00 PM
RITCHIE'S STATS

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-23-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Still, you're right, it is pretty amazing that he's in the position he's in - IIRC, he was the winning pitcher in the All-Star game in 2000, for Pete's sake!

That's the first thing I thought of. He is with the Sox. Having a great year(remember those 10-8 games that he won, lucky we had some punch), wins the All-Star Game. Hawk and DJ rave about his dugout presence. Goes to Seattle and is immediately back at the top with a great team contending big time.
:gulp:
Wakes up and he is at a Motel 6 outside of a Kansas City truck stop buying pecan log rolls from a Stuckies.
What a story!

Bmr31
01-23-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
That's the first thing I thought of. He is with the Sox. Having a great year(remember those 10-8 games that he won, lucky we had some punch), wins the All-Star Game. Hawk and DJ rave about his dugout presence. Goes to Seattle and is immediately back at the top with a great team contending big time.
:gulp:
Wakes up and he is at a Motel 6 outside of a Kansas City truck stop buying pecan log rolls from a Stuckies.
What a story!

Stuff like this happens to us all.........its how you respond that seperates the winners from the losers.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2003, 10:29 PM
I don't think he ever got over that arm injury. Still they say it takes two full seasons to recover so we'll see.

I still have a ton of admiration for him pitching his guts out in game #3 of the ALCS with a bad arm (and pitching VERY well)

Lip

DrCrawdad
01-23-2003, 11:01 PM
How bad is JB? Well, not as bad as Toad Ritchie.

34 Inch Stick
01-24-2003, 04:25 PM
If I were Baldwin I would have looked at every dome team in MLB and gotten on with one of them. He had unnaturally dominant ability to perform in domes.

baggio202
01-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I don't think he ever got over that arm injury. Still they say it takes two full seasons to recover so we'll see.

I still have a ton of admiration for him pitching his guts out in game #3 of the ALCS with a bad arm (and pitching VERY well)

Lip

lip you bring up a great point...JB will always have my admiration for what he did...going to the mound with a bum arm and pitching his heart out to give us a chance..who really knows how much more damage that one start did to his arm...then the way KW treated him when he traded him to the dodgers made me ill...god how i hate KW

gogosoxgogo
01-26-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
lip you bring up a great point...JB will always have my admiration for what he did...going to the mound with a bum arm and pitching his heart out to give us a chance..who really knows how much more damage that one start did to his arm...then the way KW treated him when he traded him to the dodgers made me ill...god how i hate KW

You know, I find it ironic (and sickening) how KW always tries to play the good guy role when working with trades when he's asked anything by the media. Responses such as him not wanting to divulge players who may have been involved in his trades due to their image, and other related comments. Yet, when he doesn't like a particular player for even the smallest thing they have done, he REALLY holds a grudge. He'll send them down to the minors for no particular reason, trade them for nothing in return, pay other teams to take those players, etc.

RichH55
01-26-2003, 01:28 AM

I don't mind holding KW to a particular standard, but it seems to me that people like to get him both coming and going. If you have a guy who isn't part of the future or his best years are clearly behind him, then sometimes it is in the best interests of a team to deal him. If there is something in particular about the treatment of JB other than simply the fact that he was traded, well then perhaps I will have to look at it in a different light.

I don't think KW is particularly worse than any other GM in the treatment of players with trades or contracts...just MHO

RichH55
01-26-2003, 01:30 AM
I really think JB will be a great signing for KC...he's a quality guy(even if he isnt going to win a Cy Young), good clubhouse guy(especially for a team with so many youngsters).....They better help those pitchers develop quickly though....Sweeney and Beltran could both be gone soon and there isnt much in the pipeline

baggio202
01-26-2003, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
I don't mind holding KW to a particular standard, but it seems to me that people like to get him both coming and going. If you have a guy who isn't part of the future or his best years are clearly behind him, then sometimes it is in the best interests of a team to deal him. If there is something in particular about the treatment of JB other than simply the fact that he was traded, well then perhaps I will have to look at it in a different light.

I don't think KW is particularly worse than any other GM in the treatment of players with trades or contracts...just MHO

rich..the JB and toad ritchie trades combined to send me over to the darkside when it comes to KW..i ll give you my recollection and logic as to why it told me this guy is a real dum-ass and has no clue what he is doing..

mistreatment of JB at the trade..after the trade kenny had a press conference..he said that JB wasnt doing his job (which i though was hilarious considering JB won his last 4 decision if my memory serves me correct) and that it didnt really matter because (and ill never forget this) "JB was just a bridge to the next wave of pitchers which have arrived" and therefore was no longer needed...ill never forget that quote...i thought that was a totally unprofessional way to treat a man that for the last 6 years gave his all everytime he took the mound..even if KW felt his all wasnt good enough...he also said at this press conference that we have been scouting onan masaoka for a few years now (how many times have we heard that??) and that his fastball would make us all forget about JB...then in spring training with an era of 40.40 he is released because he, in KW's words "doesnt have a major league curve ball" ***????

now fast forward to the off season...where KW makes the ritchie trade...at that press conference he all but admits to overpaying for a bum like ritchie and says we had to give up talent to get talent because were desperate for a front line starter (toad ritchie = front line starter - haha- good one) to stabilize the rotation because it was so young...

putting it all together with the garbage that is spewed out of KW's own mouth the bridge was complete at the end of july..so sometime during august and september the bridge must have collapsed bigtime because we were so desperate for a so-so veteran we had to pay through the nose???...

those two trades just showed me KW doesnt have any plan..he doesnt have a clue to what he is doing..when you make deals they are suppose to build on one another to put a competitive team on the field..these two moves...made back to back i believe (or almost) worked completely against each other and left us much worse off...

thats my reasoning for why i went over to the dark side with KW..i hope my logic makes sense

RichH55
01-26-2003, 06:40 PM
rich..the JB and toad ritchie trades combined to send me over to the darkside when it comes to KW..i ll give you my recollection and logic as to why it told me this guy is a real dum-ass and has no clue what he is doing..

mistreatment of JB at the trade..after the trade kenny had a press conference..he said that JB wasnt doing his job (which i though was hilarious considering JB won his last 4 decision if my memory serves me correct) and that it didnt really matter because (and ill never forget this) "JB was just a bridge to the next wave of pitchers which have arrived" and therefore was no longer needed...ill never forget that quote...i thought that was a totally unprofessional way to treat a man that for the last 6 years gave his all everytime he took the mound..even if KW felt his all wasnt good enough...he also said at this press conference that we have been scouting onan masaoka for a few years now (how many times have we heard that??) and that his fastball would make us all forget about JB...then in spring training with an era of 40.40 he is released because he, in KW's words "doesnt have a major league curve ball" ***????

now fast forward to the off season...where KW makes the ritchie trade...at that press conference he all but admits to overpaying for a bum like ritchie and says we had to give up talent to get talent because were desperate for a front line starter (toad ritchie = front line starter - haha- good one) to stabilize the rotation because it was so young...

putting it all together with the garbage that is spewed out of KW's own mouth the bridge was complete at the end of july..so sometime during august and september the bridge must have collapsed bigtime because we were so desperate for a so-so veteran we had to pay through the nose???...

those two trades just showed me KW doesnt have any plan..he doesnt have a clue to what he is doing..when you make deals they are suppose to build on one another to put a competitive team on the field..these two moves...made back to back i believe (or almost) worked completely against each other and left us much worse off...

thats my reasoning for why i went over to the dark side with KW..i hope my logic makes sense

Ok...I assumed it wasn't something like that....I don't recall him doing something crazy to JB that I might have missed...

For my part, I have to say that dealing JB made sense at the time since he wasn't going to be back the next year. I don't know how seriously I take press conferences, I mean you can't expect KW to say that the guy he just picked up is worthless or is risky at best, that just isn't how it is done. I don't know all the JB stuff, so chances are he could have handled that better.

On the Ritchie deal...I still don't think we gave up the farm to get him...and I always liked Kip Wells too(Fogg and Lowe are inherently replaceable).....There is no question that the Ritchie deal was bad, however I can find a silver lining. Basically it is this: KW cut his losses. Bringing in Ritchie was totally his mistake, and a common problem with management everywhere(business, sports, whatever) is that when the mistake is yours you tend to dig yourself deeper into that hole rather than just admitting a mistake. I thought he should have gotten out of the Royce Clayton hole earlier, but he folded on Ritchie as soon as he knew he couldn't win the hand....That's a real positive sign IMHO.

You might not be a big KW fan....I doubt there are a ton here period, but this offseason he seems to have shown alot of growth....Im willing to cut him slack on past mistakes if he shows he can learn from them

michigan84
01-27-2003, 01:32 AM
Baldwin has never had an ERA under 4 and was terrible last year. In today's new "corrected" market, how does a guy with stats like these deserve more than a minor league deal? I think it was smart on his part to sign with KC because he is virtually guaranteed a spot in the rotation ... heck, he could even be the ace! :D: