PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sirotka

basilesox
01-23-2003, 02:09 PM
I dont know if anybody else was a huge sirotka fan, but I was a big fan. I remember him being one of the main reasons we were very successful in the 2000 season. I recently heard that he was signed by the Cubs to a minor league contract. I would have loved to sign him to a minor league contract. He may never pitch the same again after his injury, but a minor league contract would be worth the trouble. I was curious to know if anybody had any thoughts or injuries updates on Sirotka. I will probably always cheer for Sirotka, even if he is in a cubs uniform.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Yup, he was one of my favorites too. Great guy, great pitcher. It's too unfortunate about his injury. Yes, he was signed by the Cubs (poor guy). I hope he does well, but they suck it up.

rmusacch
01-23-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Yup, he was one of my favorites too. Great guy, great pitcher. It's too unfortunate about his injury. Yes, he was signed by the Cubs (poor guy). I hope he does well, but they suck it up.

I also liked him. He was one of my favorites. I was sad to hear he had been included as part of the Wells deal. Even sadder to hear that he was injured.

Hangar18
01-23-2003, 02:48 PM
I was Furious to hear he was part of the David Wells Fiasco too.
Mostly because we just traded a Pitcher for a Pitcher. We still
didnt replace the other 3 who were injured.....
But when the Jays released him...wouldve been perfect if we'd just signed him to a Minor League Deal.......That wouldve negated
the dumbness of that trade to begin with. but no.
This will hurt the SOX big later this year if he does well for the Cubs. We are going to need a pitcher like him very very soon,
the all star break will be here before we know it, and sure enough, KW will have to OVERPAY for a pitcher again.
Sox shouldnt have let him get away that Cheap, especially
to your cross-town economic/media Rivals. Dumb.
Unfortuneately for Him, I wont be Rooting for him.......he couldve held out a bit.

Iwritecode
01-23-2003, 04:11 PM
IIRC, when the trade happened Siro was asked about coming back to Chicago when became a free agent. I believe he said even then that it would probably be more likely with the Cubs. I think he has some ill will towards JR and KW...

voodoochile
01-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
IIRC, when the trade happened Siro was asked about coming back to Chicago when became a free agent. I believe he said even then that it would probably be more likely with the Cubs. I think he has some ill will towards JR and KW...

The Sox had a star pitcher who was upset with JR?

NO WAY!!!

RKMeibalane
01-23-2003, 04:38 PM
:reinsy

"The only reason we didn't try to re-sign him is because none of you bother to show up at games. So there!"

RichH55
01-26-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

I think that situation was blow out of proportion.....Granted KW calling it shouldergate came off as insensitive, but Mike didn't want to leave Chicago, and he certainly wasn't pleased to be hurt, so I'm sure those two things played into his mindset.....I would have liked to get Mike back, but if we had the choice of who to sign to a minor league deal I would have taken Lieber(much bigger money of course)...

If anyone thinks our World Series/Playoff chances come down to the fact we didn't sign Mike in the offseason, well then we were done before we even started