PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltran? What would it take?

moochpuppy
01-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Does anyone think the Sox would try and pry Beltran from the Royals? What do you think it would take? Something like:

Rowand
Ginter
Josh Stewart

Too much? Too little?

What do you think the cost conscious Royals would ask for? Borchard? Rauch? Garland?

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Does anyone think the Sox would try and pry Beltran from the Royals? What do you think it would take? Something like:

Rowand
Ginter
Josh Stewart

Too much? Too little?

What do you think the cost conscious Royals would ask for? Borchard? Rauch? Garland?

I'll put it this way. If I was the GM of the Royals, I would ask for a lot more than that. We'd probably have to throw Lee in there somehow as well as one of our top pitching prospects (Stewart), hitting prospects (Hummel) and probably Paul and a bullpen guy as well. But then again, this is the Royals, so who knows how much it would take.

hold2dibber
01-23-2003, 10:01 AM
First of all, Alan Baird of KC is an absolute moron. He's one of the worst GMs in the game, if not the worst (right up there with the goof in Tampa Bay). So I supppose we shouldn't overestimate his ability to get a decent return for Beltran.

With that said, I seriously doubt that either of the packages suggested above would be NEARLY enough to get Beltran. Beltran is a superstar in the making. They are going to want top prospects for him, not a bunch of fringe type guys. They're going to want real quality. Here's my guess as to what it would take to get him:

Webster;
Rowand;
Munoz; and
One of: Almonte, Malone, Diaz or Stewart

OR

Borchard; and
A pitching prospect

soxtalker
01-23-2003, 10:02 AM
If you were in the KC GM position, what do you need most? (I know dollars come into this, but think of positions for now.) Since they are considered one of the weakest teams, there are probably lots of holes to fill. But he probably has a list of the ones that are most urgent. Also, if he loses his CF, does he have a replacement in the minors or on the bench?

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
If you were in the KC GM position, what do you need most? (I know dollars come into this, but think of positions for now.) Since they are considered one of the weakest teams, there are probably lots of holes to fill. But he probably has a list of the ones that are most urgent. Also, if he loses his CF, does he have a replacement in the minors or on the bench?

They're weak in SP and we'd probably have to throw in Rowand.

hold2dibber
01-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
They're weak in SP and we'd probably have to throw in Rowand.

Their starting pitching is a work in progress, to say the least. They don't have anyone in their rotation who won more than 5 games in the majors last year. However, they have a couple good arms and I think that they think that they have some promise there. I don't think they have a CF in the pipeline. I also think they've got 2B problems. So Harris or Hummel might prove attractive to them. They'd probably try like hell to get Garland, Wright, Rauch or Honel. But since they're at least 2-3 years away from even thinking about contending, top notch younger prospects (with a stop gap in CF, like Rowand) might get it done.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Just visited the Royals board on mlb.com and they're saying they need pitching (Stewart), 3B (maybe a utility player?), 2B (Harris), SS (Hummel), C (Paul), closer/set-up man type (Almonte?) and then they'd probably need someone to replace CB in center (Rowand). I have a feeling we'd also have to throw one of Lee/Garland/Wright into this mix though, as well.

moochpuppy
01-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Borchard; and
A pitching prospect

I don't know about anyone else but I would have no problem with this.

While Borchard is an exciting prospect with loads of potential, he isn't the type of player the Sox absolutely need. Beltran can lead off, hit for average, steal bases, hit for power and can score runs and create scoring opportunities.

moochpuppy
01-23-2003, 10:17 AM
I have a feeling we'd also have to throw Lee into this mix though, as well.

I really don't think they'll want Lee due to the money he will soon earn.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I really don't think they'll want Lee due to the money he will soon earn.

I hope they don't, I really think he's going to turn into something. I hope they don't want Garland or Wright either. However, what do you think of what I proposed earlier adressing their needs. So long as Crede is not the 3rd basemen, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

hold2dibber
01-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Just visited the Royals board on mlb.com and they're saying they need pitching (Stewart), 3B (maybe a utility player?), 2B (Harris), SS (Hummel), C (Paul), closer/set-up man type (Almonte?) and then they'd probably need someone to replace CB in center (Rowand). I have a feeling we'd also have to throw one of Lee/Garland/Wright into this mix though, as well.

Although the guys you suggest do play the positions where they need help, none of them are top tier prospects. I just don't think the Royals are going to take a load of fringe prospects for Beltran; they're going to want at least one guy who has the possibility of being a real difference maker. For example, as I noted earlier, Borchard plus a pitcher, or maybe Rauch and Rowand or Honel and Rowand. Crede and a pitching prospect. Olivo and a pitching prospect. The Sox would have to give up someone who we'd be very sad to see go. Guys like Paul, Hummel, Harris, etc. might work as throw-ins, but the Sox would have to offer them in conjunction with a "big gun" like Rauch, Garland, Borchard, Crede, Olivo or Honel.

dougs78
01-23-2003, 12:37 PM

Webster;
Rowand;
Munoz; and
One of: Almonte, Malone, Diaz or Stewart

OR

Borchard; and
A pitching prospect

As for me, I'd go ahead with the first one, in a heartbeat. I think all of those (ok, maybe not rowand) have huge possibilities, but at this point, thats all they have. Theres also a distinct possibility (probability??) that NONE of them will ever reach the level Beltran is right now. And if we are truly going for it, then I really would whole-heartedly support this deal. However, the only drawback is the fact that I don't necessarily see us resigning Beltran, so I'd hate to see us in the position of the Red Sox in a few years, having depleted our reserves and still having nothing to show for it. But really, lets just roll the dice and see what happens.

The second deal i'm not as keen on for just the reason I stated earlier. We have Borchard for 4-5 years for sure and I'd hate to give that up for a rent a player, even if we are going for it now. I just dont' think the risk justifies that reward.

soxtalker
01-23-2003, 01:30 PM
OK, one more aspect to any trade. What is Beltran's contract / FA status with the Royals? In other words, do they have anything pushing them that they will have to deal with a year or two down the road?

kermittheefrog
01-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Okay I'd love to send Borchard and a pitching prospect off for Beltran but I doubt we'd be able to keep him. He's a Scott Boras client. If we actually sent Borchard and Malone or something like that, I'd say it'd be a rare trade that helps both teams with talent.

hold2dibber
01-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
OK, one more aspect to any trade. What is Beltran's contract / FA status with the Royals? In other words, do they have anything pushing them that they will have to deal with a year or two down the road?

He is, I believe, a FA at the end of the '03 season. So I doubt that the Sox will be interested, particularly in light of the fact that Boras is his agent.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 02:35 PM
He is, I believe, a FA at the end of the '03 season. So I doubt that the Sox will be interested, particularly in light of the fact that Boras is his agent.

I think he's signed until 2004 or 2005...

moochpuppy
01-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Beltran is signed through the 2004 season.

moochpuppy
01-23-2003, 03:12 PM
This is from KC's hot stove:

Does Beltran have a future in Kansas City? The Royals' young center fielder, who turns 26 in April, is a five-tool talent who is ready to explode on the league this year. But he's only two years away from free-agency, and the Royals have learned from their experiences with Dye and Damon that if they want fair value for their stars, they need to trade them early. Barring a sudden change of heart from Beltran, it's unlikely he'll sign any deal with the Royals that would delay the onset of free agency, and if he doesn't buckle the Royals appear committed to trading him by Opening Day. If the right offer comes along -- a trade with the Rangers involving Hank Blalock would help both teams -- the Royals should be prepared to bid adieu. On the other hand, if the Royals are committed to trading him just for the sake of trading him, they could have another Neifi-sized disaster on their hands.

Bmr31
01-23-2003, 06:00 PM
To get Beltran, its going to take something like Borchard, Rowand, and Rauch. Beltran is on the verge of becoming a superstar.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
To get Beltran, its going to take something like Borchard, Rowand, and Rauch. Beltran is on the verge of becoming a superstar.

I agree, but don't overestimate the KC front office.