PDA

View Full Version : Acevedo Evades Sox


DrCrawdad
01-22-2003, 10:53 PM
The White Sox signed right-handed reliever Rick White on Wednesday after a potential deal with Juan Acevedo fell through.

The Sox would have preferred Acevedo, a Chicago product who saved 28 games for Detroit in 2002. - Teddy Greenstein, Tribune.


Was Acevado drafted by the Sox?

DrCrawdad
01-22-2003, 11:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5348.jpg

rmusacch
01-22-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/5348.jpg

Looks like he would have been a nice pickup. Why is Detroit getting rid of him? That said, I like the White pickup.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Oh damn! I would have much rather preferred Acevado. I wonder who we would have given up?

MarkEdward
01-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Oh damn! I would have much rather preferred Acevado. I wonder who we would have given up?

Nothing- he is a free agent.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Nothing- he is a free agent.

Oh really? I didn't realize that. Then I guess my question would be how much we were offering him and if he has any other offers on the table.

michigan84
01-23-2003, 12:15 AM
I don't know that Acevedo would be the greatest pick up. I live in Michigan and see Tigers games regularly, and he made you sweat the save more often than not. He wasn't bad, but it seemed like he would load the bases all the time when pitching. Remember, he also pitched half the games in Comerica Park which can really help a pitcher's ERA. He was non-tendered a conract because he was looking for closer dollars and Detroit already has 2 closers (although I don't know why seeing as they don't win too many games).

Lip Man 1
01-23-2003, 12:28 AM
From what I remember reading in The Sporting News the Tigers cut him because he wanted a ton of money and they felt he had a "career" year last season and wouldn't come close to repeating it.

He has nasty movement on his pitches that's for sure.

I don't know if he's arbitration eligible but I wouldn't close the book completely on this yet.

I know Williams said he was "tapped out" salary wise in the story in the Tribune, but remember he said that last week BEFORE signing Gordon and now he's come up with at least some more money for White.

I just have an impression that he thinks this team is close to getting back into the playoffs and is working Uncle Jerry in an effort to come up with a few million more for some last minute tweaking. (He can spend it on Suppan or Helling!)

Lip

jeremyb1
01-23-2003, 01:39 AM
acevedo probably would've been better but i think white will still be pretty solid. i don't know where acevedo thinks he's going to get a lot of money. we're giving white $ 600,000 and i imagine we were offering acevedo at least somewhat more. i'm not sure why he would accept the deal. he's not going to close anywhere and he's not going to get more money from a contending team in my opinion.

Soxboyrob
01-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I just have an impression that he thinks this team is close to getting back into the playoffs and is working Uncle Jerry in an effort to come up with a few million more for some last minute tweaking. (He can spend it on Suppan or Helling!)

Lip

Why not Kenny Rogers? He's better than either Suppan or Helling.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Why not Kenny Rogers? He's better than either Suppan or Helling.

Rogers would be my top choice out of remaining SP. Lip, would you get over Suppan and Helling. They both had dismal years last year. Just because they can throw over 200 innings, doesn't mean they're any good! Helling, I could understand more than Suppan. I'd want him over Suppan... but Suppan!?

moochpuppy
01-23-2003, 09:09 AM
My wife used to work with his sister a couple years back and he has always wanted to come home and play for the Sox or Cubs. I wonder what happened?? It had to have come down to money.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2003, 11:21 AM
I'd take Helling first. You can't overlook the 15 starts where he allowed two earned runs or less for Arizona.

If not my next chocie would be Suppan for the number of innings he throws.

If no one else is available, I'd settle for Rogers or Finley.

Unlike some others I'm not willing to risk a season where the Sox decide to take a shot at winning (few and far between) on a pitcher with ten games experience in the major leagues. (Especially when three others in the starting rotation have less then three years experience. To me that's still a dangerous combination...)

Lip

pudge
01-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From what I remember reading in The Sporting News the Tigers cut him because he wanted a ton of money and they felt he had a "career" year last season and wouldn't come close to repeating it.

He has nasty movement on his pitches that's for sure.

I don't know if he's arbitration eligible but I wouldn't close the book completely on this yet.

I know Williams said he was "tapped out" salary wise in the story in the Tribune, but remember he said that last week BEFORE signing Gordon and now he's come up with at least some more money for White.

I just have an impression that he thinks this team is close to getting back into the playoffs and is working Uncle Jerry in an effort to come up with a few million more for some last minute tweaking. (He can spend it on Suppan or Helling!)

Lip

I think KW knew about Gordon when he uttered the "tapped out" line. And he proved he really is "tapped out" by passing on Ascevedo and going with a cheaper White. I think this shows he has no cash left and therefore, no extra starter. That really sucks. I wish JR would just go for it all the way, instead of half-assing it all the time (see '97, when we give a TON of cash to Belle, and then settle for Navarro and Drabek instead of pursuing Clemens).

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If not my next chocie would be Suppan for the number of innings he throws.

I still don't understand this logic at all. The guy can't pitch. He's not a good pitcher. He throws a lot of innings, that is the only decent thing I can say about him. But so what!? With the acquisition of Colon, our bullpen will NOT be overworked. We have enough depth that it will be fine. I'm going to ask you this again: If Jim Parque threw 200 innings, would you want him to be our #5 starter?

Lip Man 1
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Actually I want Helling but I'll take Suppan. Innings pitched PLUS his ERA is not bad considering he was on a lousy team. (Actually if or when Rauch's ERA is in the high five's you KNOW you are going to be hearing about it Go Go!)

Lip

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Actually I want Helling but I'll take Suppan. Innings pitched PLUS his ERA is not bad considering he was on a lousy team. (Actually if or when Rauch's ERA is in the high five's you KNOW you are going to be hearing about it Go Go!)

Lip

By the end of the year, I'm fairly confident that Rauch will have had a better season than Suppan. I'm surprised that those two are your top choices. What's wrong with Finely or Rogers?

Huisj
01-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by michigan84
I don't know that Acevedo would be the greatest pick up. I live in Michigan and see Tigers games regularly, and he made you sweat the save more often than not. He wasn't bad, but it seemed like he would load the bases all the time when pitching. Remember, he also pitched half the games in Comerica Park which can really help a pitcher's ERA. He was non-tendered a conract because he was looking for closer dollars and Detroit already has 2 closers (although I don't know why seeing as they don't win too many games).

I agree. It seemed like his saves often ended with a bases loaded double play or a warning track flyball with two men on. He cruised along for like a month or two earlier in the season but down the stretch his saves were scary.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Both Finley and Rogers are 38. (It seems like ages ago when I covered Finley at Northeast Louisiana University! He's my step son's second cousin by the way)

Nice guy but I think the age factor makes them a risk.

Also with the messy divorce proceedings involving Finley, he may want to try to stay closer to the West Coast to be with his kids as much as possible. I don't know that for a fact by it could be a factor. he may also frankly just decide to retire.

Lip

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Both Finley and Rogers are 38. (It seems like ages ago when I covered Finley at Northeast Louisiana University! He's my step son's second cousin by the way)

Nice guy but I think the age factor makes them a risk.

Also with the messy divorce proceedings involving Finley, he may want to try to stay closer to the West Coast to be with his kids as much as possible. I don't know that for a fact by it could be a factor. he may also frankly just decide to retire.

Lip

No matter who we sign, they'll only be here for one here. I think Finely will go at least one more year in the majors. How old is Helling?