PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Hernandez

Jjav829
01-22-2003, 11:02 PM
signs with the Braves (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=10056820)

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 11:08 PM
I wish him all the best, but I'm glad he's not with the Sox.

TornLabrum
01-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

I'd rather see him in a Sox uniform than Tom Gordon, though.

Bmr31
01-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I'd rather see him in a Sox uniform than Tom Gordon, though.

id rather have neither of them, they both suck.......

WinningUgly!
01-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
id rather have neither of them, they both suck.......

I sure wouldn't want either guy as my everyday closer. Gordon will be fine as a set-up guy. Roberto will make a lot of noise before the '03 season is done, about wanting to close out games. I can't see him staying happy in that role.

TornLabrum
01-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I sure wouldn't want either guy as my everyday closer. Gordon will be fine as a set-up guy. Roberto will make a lot of noise before the '03 season is done, about wanting to close out games. I can't see him staying happy in that role.

I thought I heard Murph and Fred talking the other day on The Score about how Gordon is already saying he's really a closer.

Daver
01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
I thought I heard Murph and Fred talking the other day on The Score about how Gordon is already saying he's really a closer.

There is a report from researchers from Northwestern University that listening to the Score may shrink your IQ.

:)

Gordon was told his role before he signed with the Sox,KW was quoted on this.

TornLabrum
01-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by daver
There is a report from researchers from Northwestern University that listening to the Score may shrink your IQ.

:)

Gordon was told his role before he signed with the Sox,KW was quoted on this.

Why do you think I want ESPN-1000 to do more local programming??????

This was after what KW told him, and that was brought up. Supposedly Gordon started griping after he signed.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo

It's a shame that he's in the NL. We won't be able to hit off him.

:gulp:

Daver
01-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Why do you think I want ESPN-1000 to do more local programming??????

This was after what KW told him, and that was brought up. Supposedly Gordon started griping after he signed.

I have not heard that rumor,and if you heard it on the Score I would highly doubt the veracity of it,the only person I listen to on the Score is Julie Sweica.

TornLabrum
01-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
I have not heard that rumor,and if you heard it on the Score I would highly doubt the veracity of it,the only person I listen to on the Score is Julie Sweica.

Speaking of whom, after the Superbowl, will she be back on Sunday mornings? Hers is the only show I've ever called on The Score.

You're probably right about the Gordon story, too. I never saw anyone take one point from a story and blow it all out of proportion the way Mike Murphy does, so that it's barely recognizable by the time he's finished with it.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-23-2003, 10:52 PM
I never saw anyone take one point from a story and blow it all out of proportion the way Mike Murphy does, so that it's barely recognizable by the time he's finished with it.

I just cannot listen to him. Luckily now, I don't have to listen to early radio. Plus, he has a creepy voice. Know what I am saying?

:gulp:

hold2dibber
01-24-2003, 10:02 AM
I think, as TornLabrum suggests, that Murphy is making something out of nothing. Gordon, I believe (or maybe his agent) said after the signing that he thought he was capable of closing, but he wasn't griping about not closing with the Sox. The agent said that Gordon was hoping to find a spot where he could close, but couldn't, so he took what he thought was his best chance to play for a good team. I don't have a problem with him thinking he can close, as long as he doesn't breed discontent over the fact that he isn't closing (particularly when he knew what he was getting into).

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 10:19 AM

(Spills Coffee on himself at his desk, and puts caller on Hold to type the following message)

Whoa ....Wait a second. Murph on the Score was talking about
the White Sox??? Stop the Presses. Are you sure?
that guy, all he ever does, is cubtalk cubtalk cubtalk cubtalk
cubtalk cubtalk cubtalk cubtalk, peppered with cub complaining,
and sprinkles all that finally by subliminally mentioning something cub-related to a caller on a topic that had nothing to do with baseball. I stopped listening to that guy last year. All he did
was complain complain complain about the cubs. CubMorning Show is what they should call that. Theres some other clown, Fred I think, who is supposed to be the SoxFan "foil/counterpart".
Great Concept. But doesnt work, because Murph Steps all over him and smothers him with all the cubtalk/cubfluff. Dont know
what Freds story is, but I dont think he really is part of that show, the other guy must be the main person there, because he sure doesnt say too much about the Sox. I love how Murph
will Steer topics and Callers towards CubTalk. for instance...
"hey, did anyone see what Baylor did in the 8th last nite?"
callers are then "screened" towards this topic, and the casual listener would think that cub fans must really be logical.
Swieca is the REAL DEAL there.

harwar
01-24-2003, 10:33 AM
The score is a total joke.I agree that Juli Swieca is the only one worth listening to,i wish they would give her a permanent time slot.As for Gordon,hes' always been a trouble maker and a head case.I hope he just does his job and keeps his mouth shut(not likely).

34 Inch Stick
01-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Soxrule, I do know what you are saying. He sounds like Dr. Demento. I picture him being one of those uncles who parents never let their children come close to. How did he ever get a job in radio with that voice?

rmusacch
01-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
signs with the Braves (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=10056820)

Any chance he will be the closer there and Smoltz will move back to the rotation. I had read somewhere that the Braves had told him he could start this year if he wanted to.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Any chance he will be the closer there and Smoltz will move back to the rotation. I had read somewhere that the Braves had told him he could start this year if he wanted to.

No. They already have 5 starters and Smoltz was absolutely dominating in the closer role. Why change it when it aint broke?