PDA

View Full Version : For some reason I'm not too upset

Spiff
08-12-2001, 11:27 PM
I always hate to see the Sox lose. But tonight I can accept it.

Maybe it's because I know Seattle is a much better team. Maybe it's because Pineiro pitched exceptionally well. Maybe I've just accepted that it will be really tough to catch Cleveland.

Look at the positives. Maggs is back on a good streak. Ray got on base. Kip pitched well, minus the one pitch to Guillen. Glover pitched alright for a bullpen convert. Hell even Embree struck out Ichiro. All good signs.

FarWestChicago
08-12-2001, 11:40 PM
Look at the positives. Maggs is back on a good streak. Ray got on base. Kip pitched well, minus the one pitch to Guillen. Glover pitched alright for a bullpen convert. Hell even Embree struck out Ichiro. All good signs.

Hey, we didn't get slaughtered in Seattle. A lot of people were worried about that going into Friday. I sure wish we could have pulled that one out last night, though.

WinningUgly!
08-12-2001, 11:51 PM
Hey, we didn't get slaughtered in Seattle. A lot of people were worried about that going into Friday. I sure wish we could have pulled that one out last night, though.

True, but man it sucks when you have a chance at sweeping the best team in baseball & close the gap on the Tribe, but piss it away.

danman31
08-12-2001, 11:53 PM
Now we go home to play Texas. I think the Sox are a hot team, but it won't show because they are playing a great team like Seattle. Following Texas we are playing Oakland who is white hot. We need to get going against Texas and then come fired up to beat Oakland.

WinningUgly!
08-12-2001, 11:54 PM
I can't believe I've only made 15(now 16) posts here. My POS computer is finally fully operational again, so you'll be getting heavy doses of me again!

FarWestChicago
08-12-2001, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I can't believe I've only made 15(now 16) posts here. My POS computer is finally fully operational again, so you'll be getting heavy doses of me again!

It's partially my fault. I told you I couldn't change your username and you had to start over. I found out later that this software allows me to do that. My bad!

:ray

Don't worry, West. Look at the year I'm having and I got on base tonight. I'm sure you'll bounce back.

WinningUgly!
08-13-2001, 12:03 AM
It's partially my fault. I told you I couldn't change your username and you had to start over. I found out later that this software allows me to do that. My bad!

No biggie. I think :harold had more extra basehits than I had posts at that point, anyway!

Procol Harum
08-13-2001, 12:04 AM
Last night I was upset--on the verge of posting a congratulatory note when my guy Foulke tinkled away a golden opportunity for us to get into the division race. Tonight? I am secure in the knowledge that we are dead meat and don't have what it takes to win anything as currently constituted. I give the guys credit for being a scrappy, persistent team but they just don't have the skeelsz to make a go of it given all their injuries and shortcomings this year. For 2002 the Sox need:

1.) A healthy--and old-form--Frank Thomas.

2.) Some team speed.

3.) An additional hitter who can hit for average.

4.) Better situational hitters.

Points 2 thru 4 can probably best be served by dumping Ray Durham (somebody, take Ray Durham--please!!), Chris Singleton, and Paul Konerko. Of course, then we have to trust Kenny Williams to be able to make those deals and get the appropriate people in return. We might all be well advised to look for a new hobby over the winter....

Tragg
08-13-2001, 12:50 AM
Add improved defense to the list. We're average - a young staff like ours needs and deserves better than average. Tonight:

a)Singleton misplayed a ball in center. Thankfully, Glover, who pitched very, very well, got out of it.

b)Lee had two chances to make plays in the 8th; he bobbled the richochet off the wall - had he not, he could have nailed the guy at second. An accurate throw would have nailed the guy that scored.

c)Johnson simply booted Ichiro's bunt - he's good defensively usually - but if he makes that routine play, they don't score.

We're okay defensively; if we want a championship, we need to be better than okay.

A word on glover. Yes, he gave up 7 hits or so in 5 innings; a couple were b.s. hits; one was a misplayed fly ball. He also didn't walk many, if any at all. And he showed excellent poise in pitching out of trouble, particularly 2nd and 3rd or so and no out.

CLR01
08-13-2001, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
a)Singleton misplayed a ball in center. Thankfully, Glover, who pitched very, very well, got out of it.

A word on glover. Yes, he gave up 7 hits or so in 5 innings; a couple were b.s. hits; one was a misplayed fly ball.

Now why am i not surprised you did not mention the play right before Singleton's where Maggs let a fly ball hit off the bat of Edger land roughly 5 feet in front of him without moving more than a few steps. I guess that was not a routine play where as the ball Singleton missed that was hit to right center and moving away from him was. What a shocker.

Iguana775
08-13-2001, 09:17 AM
i am not really that upset that we lost this series. over all, we played very good ball, for the most part. a lot of us thought that we were going to get killed, but they showed some guts and hung in there. a few balls bouncing in out favor and we could have swept, but we didnt.

CLR, you got a point about maggs. it seems to me that he tends to take plays off at times. i dont remember this happening before this season. maybe that is why he had struggled with the bat at times this year. not hustling all the time. lets hope that he just had a few brain farts and is putting this behind him so he can put this team on his shoulders for the rest of the year.

Tragg
08-13-2001, 09:59 AM
It's hard to judge whether maggs misplayed that ball or not - I couldn't tell what kind of jump he got, just like I couldn't tell what kind of jump he got in recording the last out in the 8th when he snared a sinking fly ball diving on his belly.

Surely you aren't comparing the value maggs brings to this team with the value that singleton brings to this team? And, no, I don't consider Maggs to be a particularly great defensive player - all the more reason why we need a real centerfielder, instead of one with decent range, a weak arm, and a career. 310 obp.

harwar
08-13-2001, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Now why am i not surprised you did not mention the play right before Singleton's where Maggs let a fly ball hit off the bat of Edger land roughly 5 feet in front of him without moving more than a few steps. I guess that was not a routine play where as the ball Singleton missed that was hit to right center and moving away from him was. What a shocker.
It was a very bad sunfield.I doubt that Maggs even saw the ball until the last minute.I used to play the outfield in school and i think he made a good play to even make the stop,when you only see the ball at the last second.

Iguana775
08-13-2001, 12:17 PM
now that you guys mention the sun, i remember farmer and roney saying that the sun was pretty bad on that play and he had no sunglasses. so he prolly didnt see the ball till late.

Paulwny
08-13-2001, 12:28 PM
So the question is, Why didn't he have sun glasses?

Soxboyrob
08-13-2001, 12:39 PM
Morgan and Miller specifically noted that he had flip-sunglasses but the ball was hammered such that Chris didn't have the time or ability to take the millisecond to flip them down and risk losing track of the flight of the ball. As a career 12" softball outfielder, I tend to agree w/ this analysis.

Paulwny
08-13-2001, 12:46 PM
I think the post was on the ball hit in front of Maggs that he appeared not to see off the bat.

Kid Kip
08-13-2001, 01:19 PM
Why doesn't anyone talk about the great sliding catch that Magglio made in right center field? It's fine to point out a play that you think he should have made, but it's only fair to point out the nice plays that he does make.

FarWestChicago
08-13-2001, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
Why doesn't anyone talk about the great sliding catch that Magglio made in right center field? It's fine to point out a play that you think he should have made, but it's only fair to point out the nice plays that he does make.

That was a great catch. Maggs was really motoring to get to that one. And there was a thread about it last night.

Iguana775
08-13-2001, 01:22 PM
i dont think anyone was discounting that catch. it was a great catch. :)

CLR01
08-13-2001, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
It's hard to judge whether maggs misplayed that ball or not - I couldn't tell what kind of jump he got, just like I couldn't tell what kind of jump he got in recording the last out in the 8th when he snared a sinking fly ball diving on his belly.

And Singleton got a bad jump? Looked to me like he got a pretty good jump on that ball, the ball was just hit to the gap. Plus he had the same sun in his eyes that Maggs had in his eyes the play before that a few people have used as an excuse. Maybe he should have just pulled up and played the ball off the wall but instead he went balls out for it and came within inches of making the catch, but gets ripped for it. And not to take anything away from maggs catch in the 8th because it was a nice one but it was a feet first slide not a diving belly catch as you stated.

Surely you aren't comparing the value maggs brings to this team with the value that singleton brings to this team?

Hell no, do you think i am stupid, i was just pointing out the Maggs gets off with a similar play and singleton gets ripped.