PDA

View Full Version : Harris in CF?

Daver
01-22-2003, 07:13 PM
From the official site.

Meanwhile, Aaron Rowand's offseason plans suddenly changed when he suffered multiple injuries in a dirt bike accident Nov. 1. He is progressing ahead of schedule, but might not be at full strength for the start of camp. According to Schneider, the club's projected starting center fielder "caught a tremendous break" injuring his left shoulder instead of his right.

"Anyway you look at it, he's going to be behind because he should be hitting now and he's not," Schneider cautions. "He should be throwing now, but he's not. His skills will not be as sharp or tuned in (when camp starts)."

Complete article here. (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030122&content_id=193002&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

I'm not sure the Sox can make the playoff's with Aaron in CF,but I am sure they can't with Harris in CF.

delben91
01-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by daver

I'm not sure the Sox can make the playoff's with Aaron in CF,but I am sure they can't with Harris in CF.

Thinking of Harris in CF brings me visions of Julio Ramirez. <shudder> Harris does seem to have more potential, but him in CF instead of Rowand will be going from a 4th outfielder in a starting role to a 5th outfielder in a starting role.

FarmerAndy
01-22-2003, 07:52 PM
The only upside Willie Harris has, in my humble opinion, is that he has the potential to be an amazing defensive 2B. Other than that, I don't see much value in him. He swings a breadstick at the plate, and I don't know that he will make much of an outfielder.

He needs to be in AAA longer before I consider him for a job.

SoxxoS
01-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Willie Harris has the worst arm for an outfielder I have seen in a Sox uni since...

:canseco

duke of dorwood
01-22-2003, 08:58 PM
Maybe get a legit CF, or tell LTP it's his.

No Harris, please.

lighttowerpower1
01-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Wasn't Chris Singleton on waivers this winter? I heard that Warren Newson was doing pretty well in the Mexican League last year. How about bringing Jose Canseco or Bo Jackson out of retirement? Is Anthony Webster ready for the majors yet? I guess that we had better hope that LTP has been learning how not to strike out 250 times a year.

Soxboyrob
01-22-2003, 11:01 PM

What is it about Harris in CF that you don't like? I've only seen him out there a few times and somewhat liked what I saw. I hate his weak arm but thought his speed allowed him to close on the ball extremely well. He looks a little raw out there, but looked better than I expected. I wonder if he can be another Lance Johnson out there, ala speed, glove and no arm. He'd have to improve his hitting a bit, but I think the potential is there for him to hit .300 in time.

Not trying to convince you he's our future out there, but I think he has definite upside.

Daver
01-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
What is it about Harris in CF that you don't like? I've only seen him out there a few times and somewhat liked what I saw. I hate his weak arm but thought his speed allowed him to close on the ball extremely well. He looks a little raw out there, but looked better than I expected. I wonder if he can be another Lance Johnson out there, ala speed, glove and no arm. He'd have to improve his hitting a bit, but I think the potential is there for him to hit .300 in time.

Let's see,he has no read of the ball coming off the bat,he can't track a fly ball to save his life,he takes horrible jumps at where he thinks the ball is going,only to correct badly,he can't throw a ball from deep center to second base,and he may never hit MLB pitching.

Hell yeah,make him the new CF'er.

delben91
01-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Let's see,he has no read of the ball coming off the bat,he can't track a fly ball to save his life,he takes horrible jumps at where he thinks the ball is going,only to correct badly,he can't throw a ball from deep center to second base,and he may never hit MLB pitching.

True, but what about those nifty backflips he does to start games?!?! :D:

cornball
01-22-2003, 11:56 PM

Hell yeah,make him the new CF'er.

That about sums it up for me.....dont see him sticking in the bigs long term. Only major possitive is his speed.

Daver
01-23-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by cornball
That about sums it up for me.....dont see him sticking in the bigs long term. Only major possitive is his speed.

He actually is not a bad second baseman,he has a better insticnt for playing infeild,moves well to the ball on both sides,and can turn a DP well,the fact that he has not been able to hit MLB pitching still remains though.

But then again what the hell do I know? &copy;

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 12:17 AM
I like Harris at second base actually. I remember his first game up he made an amazing jumping catch. I liked what I saw from him defensively. Offense is another story though.

jeremyb1
01-23-2003, 03:11 AM

i really think its pretty absurd to make broad statements like that about one player. people seem to be fond of making statements like that but they're pretty illogical in my opinion.

baseball is a team game and each player is important but to suggest that difference between a player like rowand and harris could mean the difference between us making the playoffs and not making the playoffs is ridiculous.

there are a lot of well thought out sabermetrical analysis that suggests even all-stars are ussually only make a team 3-4 games better than an average player at that position. so, even if harris took over for ken griffey junior in cf it might not make a difference in a playoff run. we have a solid team throughout. that fact that we'll only be average or possibly slightly below average at cf in no way precludes us from making the playoffs.

also, i fail to understand the problem with harris. i'm not incredibly high on him because he doesn't walk very much but he's 24 years old. he's been a solid prospect and had success in the minors. why is everyone so incredibly down on him all of a sudden? i think people are placing way too much weight on 150 at bats. harris isn't an all-star but he's probably a better replacement than most teams would have if their starting cf missed a couple weeks. that's all we're talking about here. there's virtually no chance of rowand missing more than a month.

duke of dorwood
01-23-2003, 09:36 AM
They have made a real effort to build up this Harris based on a big Spring Training last year. He's not a major league outfielder. History shows little success for infielders that go to outfield, and its usually for some reason, like Steve Sax or Knoblauch.

gogosoxgogo
01-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
They have made a real effort to build up this Harris based on a big Spring Training last year. He's not a major league outfielder. History shows little success for infielders that go to outfield, and its usually for some reason, like Steve Sax or Knoblauch.

or Valentin.

Soxboyrob
01-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

also, i fail to understand the problem with harris. i'm not incredibly high on him because he doesn't walk very much but he's 24 years old. he's been a solid prospect and had success in the minors. why is everyone so incredibly down on him all of a sudden? i think people are placing way too much weight on 150 at bats. harris isn't an all-star but he's probably a better replacement than most teams would have if their starting cf missed a couple weeks. that's all we're talking about here. there's virtually no chance of rowand missing more than a month.

It does seem awfully quick to dismiss his ability to hit in the majors. He's had far too little time to accurately decide. People were being jumped on for suggesting that Rowand "might" be a major league hitter based on his 300 at-bats in 2000, when his pre-existing minor league career suggested he'd never make it in the majors. Now, we're seriously doubting Harris' ability to hit based on very little major league experience, when his minor league numbers suggest he might do just fine. I'm willing to be patient w/ him. If he can become a decent hitter and work a few more walks, he could become a sparkplug. Worst case scenario, he's a decent backup that can occasionally spell the CF'er and play nice defense at 2B.

My analysis of his defensive ability in CF is based only on what I could tell from television. I never saw him out there in person this past season. His having a weak arm is a known fact. I'm still willing to see if he can develop in CF into a speed and glove guy.

harwar
01-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by delben91
Thinking of Harris in CF brings me visions of Julio Ramirez.

YEA BABY! Julio is MY MAN.I mean he helped the angels win the World Series didn't he?He has great range,a very good arm,and doesn't make a lot of errors.Nothing nore exciting to me than a great defensive center fielder.You just have to look past all that offense stuff.

34 Inch Stick
01-23-2003, 11:09 AM
In my opinion the needs going into this offseason were:

1. Top of the rotation starting pitcher- done

2. Leadoff hitting centerfielder- not even a hint of movement here

3. Defensive Catcher- I suppose they must think Alomar fits this bill. My question is if Olivo does not have a good spring training and early season and must be sent down, does anyone feel comfortable with Alomar/Paul.

Is there anyone on the market who can fill that #2 need?

Coming off of my Colon high (the best kind of high because it gives direct contact to the blood system) I now have real questions that could absolutely kill the Sox this year. We are banking on Jimenez at the leadoff, who has not proven he could do it on the major league level. We are banking on Olivo making the team and starting while up until last year his minor league hitting numbers were average. We are banking on Rowand being an every day center fielder. These are all stretches that we are taking as givens. What happens if none of the three works out. It would not be shocking if these three things did not work? I NEED A BACKUP PLAN.

THE_HOOTER
01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
The Sox's best option might be to sign Lofton again to an incentive filled contract.

No matter how bad he was, he is better than our options presently.

I believe he was hurt, right?

soxtalker
01-23-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

3. Defensive Catcher- I suppose they must think Alomar fits this bill. My question is if Olivo does not have a good spring training and early season and must be sent down, does anyone feel comfortable with Alomar/Paul.

Coming off of my Colon high (the best kind of high because it gives direct contact to the blood system) I now have real questions that could absolutely kill the Sox this year. We are banking on Jimenez at the leadoff, who has not proven he could do it on the major league level. We are banking on Olivo making the team and starting while up until last year his minor league hitting numbers were average. We are banking on Rowand being an every day center fielder. These are all stretches that we are taking as givens. What happens if none of the three works out. It would not be shocking if these three things did not work? I NEED A BACKUP PLAN.

On the list of needs, I agree.

There has been a discussion on another thread of what it would take to acquire Carlos Beltran from KC, which would take care of #2. I wonder what other teams have CF's that might fit the bill. I'm not talking so much about players that are actively being touted as trade bait, but ones that might be obtained with a creative offer (i.e., fulfill the other team's more pressing needs) by KW. There has been some speculation that KW might annouce another acquisition just before SoxFest. Most of the discussion has centered on pitching, but I wonder if it might have more to do with CF.

Regarding #3, I think that the "problem" is Olivo. He's just at the cusp of being ready for the majors, so they don't want to go out and sign another catcher to a long-term or even a high-dollar one-year contract (e.g. Ivan Rodriguez). I don't feel comfortable with a full season of Alomar/Paul if Olivo stumbles.

In general, I am optimistic that KW is formulating backup plans. Now, I have not been a KW supporter by any stretch of the imagination. However, the recent minor signings in pitching have the "feel" of providing the team with relatively low-cost options.

I also don't know how much of a crisis any of these positions represent. (That's more of a question rather than a statement.) There are windows of opportunity throughout sprin training and the season that KW can use to fill these holes. I'd guess that the starting pitcher was something that had to be done at this time -- in part, because there was signficant competition for this pitcher. I'm not sure that the same is true for #2 or #3.

jeremyb1
01-23-2003, 02:35 PM

i agree he's not strong defensively but i want to reiterate the fact that we're talking about a short term replacement for rowand here and that that is all.

doublem23
01-23-2003, 04:01 PM
i really think its pretty absurd to make broad statements like that about one player. people seem to be fond of making statements like that but they're pretty illogical in my opinion.

baseball is a team game and each player is important but to suggest that difference between a player like rowand and harris could mean the difference between us making the playoffs and not making the playoffs is ridiculous.

there are a lot of well thought out sabermetrical analysis that suggests even all-stars are ussually only make a team 3-4 games better than an average player at that position. so, even if harris took over for ken griffey junior in cf it might not make a difference in a playoff run. we have a solid team throughout. that fact that we'll only be average or possibly slightly below average at cf in no way precludes us from making the playoffs.

No, I think daver is correct in saying we'll be hard-pressed to make the play-offs with Rowand, but won't go anywhere with Harris.

In center field, that is.

hose
01-24-2003, 10:28 PM
i agree he's not strong defensively but i want to reiterate the fact that we're talking about a short term replacement for rowand here and that that is all.

I agree that Harris is no more than an emergency CF in case Rowand is not ready next month.

I see Harris as possibly the Sox second baseman in 2004 with Jimenez moving to short. If Willie can make himself a half way decent hitter I think his glove and speed will be a asset to the club.

Some players like Omar Visquel or Ozzie Smith couldn't hit at all when they began their MLB careers. I would like to think that Willie could at least be productive as a Joey Cora type player and then continue to improve over the years.

RichH55
01-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by hose
I agree that Harris is no more than an emergency CF in case Rowand is not ready next month.

I see Harris as possibly the Sox second baseman in 2004 with Jimenez moving to short. If Willie can make himself a half way decent hitter I think his glove and speed will be a asset to the club.

Some players like Omar Visquel or Ozzie Smith couldn't hit at all when they began their MLB careers. I would like to think that Willie could at least be productive as a Joey Cora type player and then continue to improve over the years.

I still think Willie is suited to be a super utility guy ala Mark Mclemore...I wouldnt rule out Hummel for the 2B derby next year

hose
01-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I still think Willie is suited to be a super utility guy ala Mark Mclemore...I wouldnt rule out Hummel for the 2B derby next year

Hummel gets the nod for 2004 from most of the articles I've read, somehow I think he will be on the club in some capacity in the future.

I read where the Sox have a real good looking prospect at short down in the low minors,can't think of his name,but Phil Rogers has mentioned him a couple of times.

Daver
01-25-2003, 02:31 PM

I read where the Sox have a real good looking prospect at short down in the low minors,can't think of his name,but Phil Rogers has mentioned him a couple of times.

Thers two good prospects in the low minors,Guillermo Reyes,a slick fielder with no bat,and Jose Gonzalez,a bit better of a hitter and an above average defensive SS,both of them are a few years away however.

delben91
01-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Jose Gonzalez,a bit better of a hitter and an above average defensive SS

Is this the Gonzalez commonly known as "Andy" that draws rave reviews from Randar and the like?

Daver
01-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Is this the Gonzalez commonly known as "Andy" that draws rave reviews from Randar and the like?

I may be wrong with the Jose,it may be Andy,I went off the top of my head,and yes that is the guy I am referring to.

:)

joecrede
01-25-2003, 03:29 PM

I get the feeling that even though Rios hasn't payed a lot of center he will be the one who ends up being platooned with Rowand, unless Rowand is hitting well.

As far as Harris goes, I'm not sure where he fits in. I think he's a better option than Graffinino, but Graff stays due to his contract.

MisterB
01-25-2003, 03:40 PM
I may be wrong with the Jose,it may be Andy,I went off the top of my head,and yes that is the guy I am referring to.

:)

Yes, that is Angel 'Andy' Gonzalez. Jose Gonzalez was the shortstop better known as Jose Uribe.

WinningUgly!
01-25-2003, 04:49 PM

It will never happen, but I'd love to see KW deal with Seattle for Randy Winn. He'd be a perfect fit in both the leadoff & CF slots. I'm not sure what it would take to get him & I believe he is a FA at the end of the '03 season. The M's will be in a world of hurt, with a ton of free agents to sign after this season, so Winn might be available.

AsInWreck
01-25-2003, 04:55 PM

I NEED A BACKUP PLAN.

I don't know if he can hit leadoff, but have you heard of Joe Borchard? I hear he's good prospect ;)

MarkEdward
01-25-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I get the feeling that even though Rios hasn't payed a lot of center he will be the one who ends up being platooned with Rowand, unless Rowand is hitting well.

Rios can't defend well in left field. How do you expect him to handle center?

joecrede
01-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Rios can't defend well in left field. How do you expect him to handle center?

I was expressing my doubts about Harris' abillity to hit more than I was supporting Rios defense in center.

I think if Rios hits Manuel will put up with the downgrade in defense in order to get another left-handed bat in the lineup. Anyway, by the middle of May hopefully Borchard will be up.

WinningUgly!
01-25-2003, 10:29 PM
History shows little success for infielders that go to outfield, and its usually for some reason, like Steve Sax or Knoblauch.

I don't know, there are a few decent current converted outfielders...Chipper Jones, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Lee, Mark McLemore, Albert Pujols & we'll see about Craig Biggio.

RichH55
01-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I don't know, there are a few decent current converted outfielders...Chipper Jones, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Lee, Mark McLemore, Albert Pujols & we'll see about Craig Biggio.

How about Ernie Banks and Robin Yount?

fuzzy_patters
01-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Also, I believe Mickey Mantle played shortsop in the minor leagues.

lighttowerpower1
01-26-2003, 02:53 PM

2. Leadoff hitting center fielder- not even a hint of movement here

Why does the Centerfielder have to be a lead off hitter? I would think that the number 1 priority of a leadoff hitter is to get on base followed by speed and baserunning ability. It appears that Jiminez might be that person, although Rowand might be another possible option for that role. If they don't work out, maybe Valentin. I really don't like the idea of Harris batting leadoff until he proves that he can get on base. If LTP has a good spring training then he is pretty much guaranteed a starting job and it will probably be in CF. I really don't think that he will ever bat leadoff, but if he could actually reach or come close to his batting potential, he could be one of the top CF's in the game.

As far as Catching goes, we used to have an adequate defensive catcher named Johnson, who everyone on this board seemed to hate. Replacing him with Paul wouldn't really make the club any worse (although not any better either). If Olivo is the real thing, then the platoon of Olivo/Alomar would actually be an improvement. Olivo has the potential to be a good hitter and he possesses a gun for an arm. As far as catching goes, he is simply going to have to play more at the ML level to learn how to handle ML pitchers.

You seem to want some sort of backup plan for all these question marks. Yes, these are some valid concerns that could have significant impact on the outcome of the season. Of an equal concern would also be the following;

1. 3-4-5 starting pitchers - basically 3 guys who have not proven themselves have to have simultaneous breakout seasons

2. Frank Thomas has to pull himself out of last year's inconsistent play and at least be okay for the entire year.

3. New look bullpen - it appears good on paper but it has to prove itself effective in the real world.

4. Who is in the minors if any of the above question marks are real problems - the last upper level IF prospect is Tim Hummell, we appear to be out of AA - AAA OF prospects, and although we still appear to have strong AA - AAA pitchers, can we really rely on them if we need them?

Daver
01-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by lighttowerpower1

You seem to want some sort of backup plan for all these question marks. Yes, these are some valid concerns that could have significant impact on the outcome of the season. Of an equal concern would also be the following;

1. 3-4-5 starting pitchers - basically 3 guys who have not proven themselves have to have simultaneous breakout seasons

2. Frank Thomas has to pull himself out of last year's inconsistent play and at least be okay for the entire year.

3. New look bullpen - it appears good on paper but it has to prove itself effective in the real world.

4. Who is in the minors if any of the above question marks are real problems - the last upper level IF prospect is Tim Hummell, we appear to be out of AA - AAA OF prospects, and although we still appear to have strong AA - AAA pitchers, can we really rely on them if we need them?

1.The 3-4-5 in the rotation don't neccasarily have to have break out seasons,Danny Wright went.500 last season,an improvement of 2 games over that and Garland and Rauch being close to five hundred would probably get them in a division title chase.

2.While Franks avg.and OBP. last season was terrible by Frank standards,he still produced a decent RBI total,if he were to put up even slightly improved numbers from last season he is still better than a lot of the guys that play DH.

3.The bullpen,though not proven in Sox uniforms,have done very well in the past,without any reason to beleive they will not continue to do so.

4. The Sox have never really been strong on OFers in the minors in the last decade,as far as pitching help,Josh Stewart,Dave Sanders,Edwin Almonte,and perhaps Corwin Malone could all be pressed into service if nessacary,as could Arnaldo Munoz.

Bmr31
01-26-2003, 03:47 PM
1.The 3-4-5 in the rotation don't neccasarily have to have break out seasons,Danny Wright went.500 last season,an improvement of 2 games over that and Garland and Rauch being close to five hundred would probably get them in a division title chase.

2.While Franks avg.and OBP. last season was terrible by Frank standards,he still produced a decent RBI total,if he were to put up even slightly improved numbers from last season he is still better than a lot of the guys that play DH.

3.The bullpen,though not proven in Sox uniforms,have done very well in the past,without any reason to beleive they will not continue to do so.

4. The Sox have never really been strong on OFers in the minors in the last decade,as far as pitching help,Josh Stewart,Dave Sanders,Edwin Almonte,and perhaps Corwin Malone could all be pressed into service if nessacary,as could Arnaldo Munoz.

Add a fast, good defensive CF who can lead off, and the sox would be fine. This is my biggest concern. Rowand as our starting cf? Ouch.

lighttowerpower1
01-26-2003, 03:59 PM

I agree with all. I really wanted to point out that our catching situation is not really horrible even though we lost the almighty Mark Johnson. I also do not think that we should worry about the CF being a lead-off hitter especially when they eventually plan on LTP playing out there. I just wanted to point out some concerns that I would consider to be more crucial to the outsome of 2003. Honestly, I don't believe that there will be any more blockbuster trades for a while. If the sox can play the first half of the season and stay in contention, they could end up getting some other team's white flags to fill in for weaknesses (possibly C, leadoff hitter, pitchers, injured players, etc..) My concerns are more related to what will really effect how this team starts the year and my assumption that most of the big name trades have already been done.

Daver
01-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by lighttowerpower1
I agree with all. I really wanted to point out that our catching situation is not really horrible even though we lost the almighty Mark Johnson.

Our catching situation could be much worse,KW could have signed I-Rod.

The Sox are weak at catcher throughout the organization,not just at the major league level,but KW compounded what was already a problem by trading Mark and signing Sandy.We went from having a servicable backstop that stayed healthy to being forced to rely on a rookie with little experience above the AA level to catch the majority of the games this coming season,because Alomar is is not capable of staying healthy.

Miguel Olivo is a better than average prospect,but Don Cooper is going to have to put in some long hours in ST this year getting him even half prepared to call games for this pitching staff,and Joe Nosseck is going to have to call all the infeild positioning from the bench,as Miguel is not prepared to handle that part of the game yet.

I do not even consider Josh Paul a catcher at this point.