PDA

View Full Version : Marlins land Pudge

Vsahajpal
01-22-2003, 04:43 PM
1 year deal for $10 MM, wow.

http://sports.excite.com/news/01222003/v5049.html

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Wow. I didn't know they were in this. I thought for sure he was going to the Orioles. Oh well, at least he isn't coming to the South Side, that's all I care about.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Oh no! All the cub fans are now out on their ledges ready to jump.
:whiner:
He would have taken them to the promised land!
:whiner:

Hullett_Fan
01-22-2003, 04:49 PM
The management down there is stupid. We complain here (alot) about JR but I would hate to be a fan of that team (except '97).

Why I-ROD? Unless it is to trade him immediately (though I doubt they'd get much...maybe half his salary and 1 or 2 prospects).

Tells you I-Rod's priorities as well. Would rather go to one of the worst operations in MLB than take $2-4mil less to play on a winner (Sox) or established franchise with loyal fans (Orioles).

hold2dibber
01-22-2003, 04:50 PM
I'm really surprised he landed in the N.L., even though its only for 1 year. He can't rest via the DH. If I were him, I'd rather have an $8 million deal in the AL, where he could catch maybe 110 or 120 games, but still get 600 plate appearances by DH'ing in the rest. I think that would be the best way to increase value for a long term deal after the season.

Jeez, with Torborg managing and Rodriquez catching, I think it unlikely that the Marlins very talented young pitching staff will develop as it should.

hold2dibber
01-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Why I-ROD? Unless it is to trade him immediately (though I doubt they'd get much...maybe half his salary and 1 or 2 prospects).

According to the article, he has a no trade clause.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Jeez, with Torborg managing and Rodriquez catching, I think it unlikely that the Marlins very talented young pitching staff will develop as it should.

Ouch. I never thought of that. They have some great young pitchers there. Damn, I would hate to be a fan of that team.

Hangar18
01-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Someone just told me that here at work, and I rushed
over to my computer to see if it was true....
I Cannot Believe That. I didnt know the Marlins were a
Catcher away from winning that division. THis is the same stupid team that gave away
their closer Alfonseca and then compounded that foolishness
by throwing in Clement. Now they realize their pitching is
piss poor, and now need Starting Pitching. How Stupid Is
that Franchise??? Im so glad Im not a Marlins fan....
crying about not having Money, and then blowing 10million
like this. Stupid. Cub fans are probably very happy,
because you watch how at the All Star break, I-Rod ends
up on the Cubs, Yankees, or Braves.

Hullett_Fan
01-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
According to the article, he has a no trade clause.

Oops...glanced over that.

If I were him, I'd rather have an $8 million deal in the AL, where he could catch maybe 110 or 120 games, but still get 600 plate appearances by DH'ing in the rest. I think that would be the best way to increase value for a long term deal after the season.

Excellent point. He'll probably only catch 120 games at most this year, but won't get the extra ABs.

IMO, signing with or being traded to Fla, TB, Mon., KC, Milw is like accepting a demotion to the minors.

:hitless :rock :liefer

"That's not nice...but it's true." :whiner:

Vsahajpal
01-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Cub fans are probably very happy,
because you watch how at the All Star break, I-Rod ends
up on the Cubs, Yankees, or Braves.

Fortunately for the Cubs, Florida included a no-trade clause.

Lip Man 1
01-22-2003, 07:10 PM
More good news! At least he's out of the AL. He won't hurt the Sox by hitting home runs or throwing out guys on the bases.

Lip

Saracen
01-22-2003, 08:20 PM
This is a master stroke by both I-Rod's agent and by Florida. Why?

From Florida's point of view, when they're totally out of the race at mid-season, they can trade him for excellent prospects from a a contender.

From I-Rod's point of view, the team who trades for him will have to buy him out of the no-trade clause, giving him extra $$$ on top of the $10 mil.

And from the point of view of a die-hard Sox fan living in Dallas (me) & watching this guy every night, I can only say PHEW.

I-Rod is on his last legs, and was always absolutely TERRIBLE at handling a pitching staff. Whenever a runner is on base, he calls for all fastballs to pad his throwing statistics. He has always been hated by the Rangers pitching staff, and whenever he's hurt their ERA's traditionally drop by half a point. The Sox need someone that can handle game situations & groom a few young guys - not someone in it for his own stats.

Daver
01-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
This is a master stroke by both I-Rod's agent and by Florida.

Neither Jeff Loria or Larry Beinfest are smart enough to think that way,by signing I Rod to a one year deal Jeff Loria can claim he tried to improve his team,show how much money he spent to improve his team,and yet he still has attendance problems,and is still losing money,thereby getting the most of the MLB handouts.

Jeff Loria is interested in one thing,his own bottom line and how much he can gain from the MLB collective coffer.

rmusacch
01-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
The management down there is stupid. We complain here (alot) about JR but I would hate to be a fan of that team (except '97).

Tells you I-Rod's priorities as well. Would rather go to one of the worst operations in MLB than take $2-4mil less to play on a winner (Sox) or established franchise with loyal fans (Orioles).

He has a no-trade clause and the Marlins have agreed not to offer him salary arbitration after this season. I am shocked to see him go to the National League since he will not be able to DH. He would be good if he could catch 120 -130 games and DH the rest. They said that they hot Texas sun wore him down but Florida is almost as bad.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-22-2003, 11:33 PM
The Marlins??????? :?:

I-Rod couldn't get a better offer???

I'm sure he could have gotten a better offer from the Tokyo Giants! But the Marlins?

This deal makes no sense whatsoever. Either way, I hope we work on getting Jose Cruz Jr a one year deal.

michigan84
01-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Isn't Redmond a pretty good catcher? Why would the Marlins want Rodriguez too? It's a good pick up ... I just can't believe Loria is actually spending money!

jortafan
01-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
The Marlins??????? :?:

I-Rod couldn't get a better offer???

I'm sure he could have gotten a better offer from the Tokyo Giants! But the Marlins?

This deal makes no sense whatsoever. Either way, I hope we work on getting Jose Cruz Jr a one year deal.

What's so surprising about this?

He has a home in Miami, and they offered him $10 mil for one year. He probably has delusions of getting the big offer he thinks he's entitled to come next year.

Some people are more interested in the bucks than they are in playing for a team with a shot at a pennant.

harwar
01-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I think he was getting desperate and since he likes warm weather figured he might as well go to fla. for a year.Of course just because he has a no-trade clause doesn't mean the Marlins won't put together a deal sometime before the trade deadline that he might want to accept.yankees maybe? they seem to want EVERYBODY.