PDA

View Full Version : Forget IRod, Cruz

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 11:54 PM
I'm betting they're both going to the Orioles.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030121&content_id=192917&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

O's offered Cruz 1.5 - 2 million dollars for one year with incentives (what a deal!) and offered IRod a 7 million dollar one year deal with an option for two loaded with incentives.

Viva Magglio
01-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I'm betting they're both going to the Orioles.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030121&content_id=192917&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp

O's offered Cruz 1.5 - 2 million dollars for one year with incentives (what a deal!) and offered IRod a 7 million dollar one year deal with an option for two loaded with incentives.

With the price Cruz is getting, why didn't we sign him? That seems affordable.

duke of dorwood
01-22-2003, 11:14 AM
I think its time to counter that offer. I hope thats what KW has been waiting for.

hold2dibber
01-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Although I think Cruz would be a good pick up at that price, I don't see it happening. First, KW has suggested that he might e working on more pitching help, but I haven't heard any suggestion that he's looking for another bat. Plus, they just signed Rios - I think it highly unlikely that they intend to carry five outfielders (Lee, Maggs, Rowand, Rios and Cruz); if they had any intention of getting in on Cruz, they wouldn't have signed Rios.

Although I am scared of I-Rod because of the mounting evidence concerning his lack of ability/attention to game calling and the development of pitchers, his bat alone is an absolute steal at $7 million (especially if you add the PR value of signing him). I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox jump in, but they'd need assurances from him that he'd participate in pitching meetings and/or let Cooper call the pitches from the bench.

Viva Magglio
01-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Should we go after Carlos Beltrán? Of course, he is not a free agent meaning we would have to trade players away to get him (thanks, Tim McCarver). If we need more pitching, what about the still available Javier Vazquéz?

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ¡Viva Mágglio!
Should we go after Carlos Beltrán? Of course, he is not a free agent meaning we would have to trade players away to get him (thanks, Tim McCarver). If we need more pitching, what about the still available Javier Vazquéz?

Minaya has said Vazquez is not for sale.

moochpuppy
01-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
- I think it highly unlikely that they intend to carry five outfielders (Lee, Maggs, Rowand, Rios and Cruz); if they had any intention of getting in on Cruz, they wouldn't have signed Rios.

Don't forget that Harris also plays outfield. Plus the likely call up of Borchard would give the Sox a very crowded outfield.