PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus: Top offseason moves

kevingrt
01-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Read This: Thome Tops Among Offseason Moves (http://www.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1496410.html)

We are not even in the Top 5 in off-season moves? We are only an honorable mention? You have to be kidding me Baseball Prospectus!

1) Phillies sign 1B Jim Thome to a six-year deal- I can understand the Thome signing being #1. That's a good pick.

2) Phillies acquire RHP Kevin Millwood from Atlanta for C Johnny Estrada- you have to be kidding me. This was a top offeseason move? It may be an honorable mention, but top???

3) Yankees sign OF Hideki Matsui to a three-year deal- yeah that is a big offeseason move, but at #3, for a guy that hasn't played at all in the MLB? Stupid Yankee Bias!

4) Astros sign 2B Jeff Kent to a two-year deal- Very big dela worthy of a Top 5 mention

5) Giants sign 2B Ray Durham and 2B Edgardo Alfonzo to three- and four-year deals, respectively- I can understand, good pickups by Mets

Honorable Mentions: White Sox acquire RHP Bartolo Colon from Montreal for OF Jeff Liefer, RHP Rocky Biddle, RHP Antonio Osuna, minor-league pitcher Delvis Lantigua and cash. Had to do that!

Yankees sign RHP Jose Contreras to a four-year deal.- Good honorable mention

Red Sox acquire 1B/OF/DH Jeremy Giambi from Philadelphia for minor-league pitcher Josh Hancock.- Pretty important for Sox

Athletics acquire 1B Erubiel Durazo for minor-league pitcher Jason Arnold.- Interesting Signing

Where is the Koch for Foulke deal? Wasn't that big???

ESPN.com befuddles me!

MarkEdward
01-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Read This: Thome Tops Among Offseason Moves (http://www.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1496410.html)

We are not even in the Top 5 in off-season moves? We are only an honorable mention? You have to be kidding me Baseball Prospectus!

1) Phillies sign 1B Jim Thome to a six-year deal- I can understand the Thome signing being #1. That's a good pick.

Probably shouldn't be number one.

2) Phillies acquire RHP Kevin Millwood from Atlanta for C Johnny Estrada- you have to be kidding me. This was a top offeseason move? It may be an honorable mention, but top???

I could see this being number, for the sheer strangeness.

3) Yankees sign OF Hideki Matsui to a three-year deal- yeah that is a big offeseason move, but at #3, for a guy that hasn't played at all in the MLB? Stupid Yankee Bias!

Matsui is going to be awesome. Deserves to be top five.

4) Astros sign 2B Jeff Kent to a two-year deal- Very big dela worthy of a Top 5 mention

Agree.

5) Giants sign 2B Ray Durham and 2B Edgardo Alfonzo to three- and four-year deals, respectively- I can understand, good pickups by Mets

Good moves for the Giants. One of the most underrated players in the league (Alfonzo) and a top five second baseman (Durham).

Honorable Mentions: White Sox acquire RHP Bartolo Colon from Montreal for OF Jeff Liefer, RHP Rocky Biddle, RHP Antonio Osuna, minor-league pitcher Delvis Lantigua and cash. Had to do that!

I'm sure some people still think Colon isn't an ace. His K rate did take a pretty big drop last year.

Yankees sign RHP Jose Contreras to a four-year deal.- Good honorable mention

Probably should be top five.

Red Sox acquire 1B/OF/DH Jeremy Giambi from Philadelphia for minor-league pitcher Josh Hancock.- Pretty important for Sox
Athletics acquire 1B Erubiel Durazo for minor-league pitcher Jason Arnold.- Interesting Signing

Well, BP does love Durazo and Giambi.

Where is the Koch for Foulke deal? Wasn't that big???
ESPN.com befuddles me!

Now that's odd. Well, BP wants us paying 40$ for this hard-hitting analysis (sorry, couldn't help myself).

kermittheefrog
01-21-2003, 10:27 PM
I think Colon belongs on the list over Astros signing Kent or the Giants combined signings. The other three I'd say are unquestionably bigger than the Colon trade.

And I'm damn glad the Koch trade wasn't on that list because it would have surely been praise for Beane fleecing Kenny.

Daver
01-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

And I'm damn glad the Koch trade wasn't on that list because it would have surely been praise for Beane fleecing Kenny.

I don't consider that trade a fleecing,the AL West gave Foulke his biggest problems,and now he gets to face them 66% of the time,Beane better hope Valentine gets ready for the big leagues quick.

jeremyb1
01-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt

part of it might be due to the fact that the deal was only consummated last week. the piece may have already been in the works and they didn't want to right a big blurb on it. if they're simply saying that the other guys listed on the top five are better than colon and therefore will help their teams more i can kind of understand that. as far as trades go i think ours should be towards the top. i would've ranked millwood as the number one move of the offseason. he's better than colon and the phillies gave up less than we did.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
part of it might be due to the fact that the deal was only consummated last week. the piece may have already been in the works and they didn't want to right a big blurb on it.

A big blurb? More like a tiny little paragraph. I doubt that's the reasoning. I have no idea why Durham and Alfonzo was rated above Colon.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Are you sure this was Baseball Prospectus? I got the same information from ESPN:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=149750#post149750

Ventura23Fan
01-22-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by daver
I don't consider that trade a fleecing,the AL West gave Foulke his biggest problems,and now he gets to face them 66% of the time,Beane better hope Valentine gets ready for the big leagues quick.

I disagree that the AL West gave Foulke his biggest problems. Over the past 4 seasons, Keith's ERA was 2.58 overall, while his ERAs vs. ANA, SEA, and TEX were 2.45, 3.65, and 2.08, respectively over that same period.

Tragg
01-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
I disagree that the AL West gave Foulke his biggest problems. Over the past 4 seasons, Keith's ERA was 2.58 overall, while his ERAs vs. ANA, SEA, and TEX were 2.45, 3.65, and 2.08, respectively over that same period.

I think the Twins caused him some problems, if I recall.
I'm surpised the signing of Singleton by St John Beane isn't on the list.

DirtySouthsider
01-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Durham and Alfonso have no reason being on this list.
I'm gald the sox said good riddens to Durham.....wayyyyy to inconsistent!
So does that mean he is a CF now?

Dadawg_77
01-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Are you sure this was Baseball Prospectus? I got the same information from ESPN:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=149750#post149750

BP does some work for ESPN.com baeball page.

Jim Thome was the biggest name on the market this year. So his signing should be number one. Koch for Foulke wasn't a major move in regards to the impact on the team. Neither one of them will probably out preform the other one in any meaningful way. If one does, I would guess Foulke will be better the Koch, so net sum of 0.