PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy?

Daver
01-21-2003, 06:04 PM
I have been saying for almost a year now that the MLB ownership of the Expos is a clear conflict of interest,this is why. (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030121walker.shtml)

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by daver
I have been saying for almost a year now that the MLB ownership of the Expos is a clear conflict of interest,this is why. (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20030121walker.shtml)

Yeah, nice theory, I just don't buy into it though.

jortafan
01-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by daver

What you call a "conflict of interest" is what MLB calls the way baseball business should always work. So in the innermost deepest thoughts of Bud Selig, shut up and watch the game, and be sure to buy plenty of overpriced beers and hot dogs while at the ballpark. Jerry Reinsdorf and his owner colleagues need your bucks so they can reduce their debt. Nevermind all those delusions of winning a pennant.

Seriously, I only wish this were a complete exaggeration.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
By next season this shouldn't be an issue...the Expos will have been relocated with new ownership and Colon will be a free agent (there's no way in hell Uncle Jerry will re-sign him), so for now let's just cross our fingers that for once, for whatever reason, the Sox caught a break and can become winners because of it.

Lip

duke of dorwood
01-21-2003, 07:01 PM
KW making a good trade does fuel the conspiracy fires a bit

soxruleEP
01-22-2003, 09:33 AM
I think the conspiracy is much more about the Yankees keeping Colon out of Boston.

I do agree with Daver that MLB "owning" the Expos is a real problem. Their relocation is part of my plan to fix baseball.

1. Move the Expos and Tampa to New Jersey/Long Island. And have two NYC teams in each league.

2. Place ALL television revenue in one pot which is then divided among all teams. Teams like the Cubs who are paid LOW rates because of ownership deals are assessed according to what their deals should be. If this is done, the only difference in revenues for teams is their attendance which is usually tied directly to on-field success. Viola--incentive to win and the revenues to do it.

This of course will never happen because of the arcane rules of territory and the "percentages" of owners needed to change things.

Something has to be done. Kansas City cannot compete with the Yankees and other teams like them. Just look at the last two years: the top free agents (aside from A-Rod) have signed with the Yankees. Brosius reties and they replace him with Ventura. The top foreigners both sign with. Steinbrenner makes more money from his local tv than many teams from all sources.

I realize this is something discussed often but it really rubs my rubarb to see the Yankees buy their pennants year after year.

moochpuppy
01-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP

but it really rubs my rubarb to see the Yankees buy their pennants year after year.

As far as last year was concerned you got a better deal on your rubarb rubbing than the Yankees got on a pennant.

voodoochile
01-22-2003, 10:59 AM
1. Move the Expos and Tampa to New Jersey/Long Island. And have two NYC teams in each league.

2. Place ALL television revenue in one pot which is then divided among all teams. Teams like the Cubs who are paid LOW rates because of ownership deals are assessed according to what their deals should be. If this is done, the only difference in revenues for teams is their attendance which is usually tied directly to on-field success. Viola--incentive to win and the revenues to do it.

Never going to happen. Steinbrenner would sue MLB for every penny he could if they tried to take away his local revenue (and with good reason) and lower his market share. The value of his franchise would drop by 30% or more. MLB cannot afford to make up the difference...

Also, I remember reading (I think it was here) that the flubbies actually have a good TV contract from WGN, but because WGN is a national station, they have to put the majority of the money in the national pot and split it among all the teams - I'm pretty that sure the same holds true for the Bulls.

soxruleEP
01-22-2003, 01:11 PM
As to the Scrubs tv contract--

Some of the money may go into the national pot but my recollection of the SCrubs total local TV revenue was that it put them in the lower half of MLB. Skimming in the national pot may account for that.

We are all aware of the wonders of accounting; surely the Tribune Company knows the tricks it can use to maximize revenue.

I do agree with Voodoochile that Steinbrenner would do everything he could to block the shift; however, it could be shown that the other owners' enterprises are damaged by the current conditions.

It makes too much sense for the owners to ever do anything that would really ensure competitive balance--they'd rather slit each others' throats. for an interesting history of how the owners have shot themselves in the feet, check out "Lords of the Realm" (author's name escapes me).

Lip Man 1
01-22-2003, 02:32 PM
John Heylar is the author. Great book!

Lip

voodoochile
01-22-2003, 03:19 PM
I do agree with Voodoochile that Steinbrenner would do everything he could to block the shift; however, it could be shown that the other owners' enterprises are damaged by the current conditions.

:hawk
Your what hurts?

You really think that the owners want to go into a court of law and claim they have been damaged by the current system? They'd have to really and truly open their books. Not only that they would have to defend the HUGE capital increases EVERY single one of them is sitting on.

Daver
01-22-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Never going to happen. Steinbrenner would sue MLB for every penny he could if they tried to take away his local revenue (and with good reason) and lower his market share. The value of his franchise would drop by 30% or more. MLB cannot afford to make up the difference...

They could easily move a team into the New Jersey area,and there isn't a damn thing George Steinbrennar could do about it.

All they have to do is make sure it is not within 15 miles of the Yankees or the Mets territory as per MLB rule 52,as long as that is done the antitrust exemption protects the league from any lawsuit.

I also agree that a third,or possibly fourth team in the metro New York area would have an impact on competetive balance across the league.

soxruleEP
01-24-2003, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by voodoochile

Your what hurts?

You really think that the owners want to go into a court of law and claim they have been damaged by the current system? They'd have to really and truly open their books. Not only that they would have to defend the HUGE capital increases EVERY single one of them is sitting on.

yes they would have to open the books. you are right--they will not want to do that.

However, I am admitting this will probably not happen, but as a baseball fan--not just a Sox fan--something has to be done so that Oakland can keep a Giambi and Kansas City can keep a Dye.

The captial increases you're referring to only really kick in when they sell the teams--and then only when they get those prices. Some of the increase in value is artificial because of the expansion costs the owners themselves set.

And yes, I know there are people who will pay this cost.