PDA

View Full Version : BoSox interested in Leiber.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Bo Sox. From Gammons http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0118/1494934.html

Boston is working on signing Jon Lieber, who might be ready for the stretch run after undergoing surgery. He would certainly be a significant addition for 2004.

If our White Sox were willing to go after Leiber, he would be a very nice pickup for us. Assuming we are in the race come August/September when Leiber comes back, he would be a great guy to add to solidify our rotation not only for competing for the division in the final two months, but also heading into the post season. He would then add a nice #3 role in the 2004 season while we see who develops the best out of Garland/Wright/Rauch. Or, if Colon leaves after this year, Leiber would be a nice arm to replace him. Unfortunately, I just don't think this is going to happen.

Some other tidbits...

Expos GM Omar Minaya called his counterpart with the Red Sox, Theo Epstein, to express continued interest in Shea Hillenband. But Minaya will not move Javier Vazquez and may be able to go to spring training without moving further payroll.

Baltimore continues to talk to Jose Cruz, Jr.. and Pudge Rodriguez, and GM Mike Flanagan says it's apparent the agents for both players have decided to take one-year deals for their clients and assume the market will re-open next offseason.

Don't expect either of these two on the south side next season...

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, of those with 20 or more starts, those who had the most significant improvement in the stetch as opposed to out of the stretch in 2002 were Colon (.758 OPS against out of the windup, .600 out of the stretch) and Barry Zito (.686 and .548 respectively). Those who had the biggest differentials throwing out of the stretch: Frank Castillo (OPS +.245 out of the stretch), Brad Radke (+.242), Danys Baez (+.201), A.J. Burnett (+.188) and Mike Mussina (+.184).

bc2k
01-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Lieber is a horse, a pitcher too good for the Cubs. I had thought of the Sox signing Lieber now for the 2004 season, but I completely forgot that he could help us in the 2003 playoffs. I seriously hope this is man KW was thinking of when he said he wasn't finished adding to the roster.

I would love our odds going into any playoff series against any team with a trio of Colon, Buehrle, and Lieber. And then you have breakthrough player of the year Dan Wright and rookie phenom Jon Rauch backing them up.

Since Liebs wouldn't be pitching till around early August, we would get Rauch enough starts and innings up to that point. No need to overextend Rauch in his first full season back. Also it would allow Liebs time to regain his form in time for the playoffs.

I thought I was excited about the possibility of signing IRod to a one year deal, but signing Lieber would be a MUCH better move for this team.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I thought I was excited about the possibility of signing IRod to a one year deal, but signing Lieber would be a MUCH better move for this team.

Yes, Leiber should be the top priority right now.

duke of dorwood
01-21-2003, 04:18 PM
I thought he was about to sign with the Yankmees?

duke of dorwood
01-21-2003, 04:21 PM
The sad state of pitching -- to have to sign a guy who wont be available for some times just to get one.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I thought he was about to sign with the Yankmees?

Where'd you that? The Yankees really need pitching. They only have 7 starters.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Just had my email read on Mac, Jurko and Harry regarding this subject if anyone was listening.

voodoochile
01-21-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Where'd you that? The Yankees really need pitching. They only have 7 starters.

Yeah, but King George can backload a contract and use him next year. When he won't have 7 anymore...

cheeses_h_rice
01-21-2003, 04:38 PM
I thought I read that he had signed with the Yankees, too.

What gives?

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 04:55 PM
man Voodoo, you had to change the title, didn't you... :cool:

I haven't heard anything official on Leiber to the Yanks. If anyone has a link, it'd be appreciated. Apparently Mac, Jurko, Harry, and Gammons didn't either, though...

voodoochile
01-21-2003, 04:59 PM
man Voodoo, you had to change the title, didn't you... :cool:

I haven't heard anything official on Leiber to the Yanks. If anyone has a link, it'd be appreciated. Apparently Mac, Jurko, Harry, and Gammons didn't either, though...

Yeah, I didn't want PHG to have to hire a lawyer to deal with the lawsuits that WSI would get if someone broke a finger in their haste to click on the link...

:D:

There is nothing on the ESPN main or Yankees site about it either. Is this recent? I don't recall hearing that he was signed.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Yeah, I didn't want PHG to have to hire a lawyer to deal with the lawsuits that WSI would get if someone broke a finger in their haste to click on the link...

:D:

lol, damn those legal issues.

Originally posted by voodoochile
There is nothing on the ESPN main or Yankees site about it either. Is this recent? I don't recall hearing that he was signed.
Same here, I searched the Yankees archives as well and came up empty handed. I want to know where you guys are getting your sources from :cool:

cheeses_h_rice
01-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Here's where I initially read it. Didn't really bother to follow up on this, either.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=32478.1

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Here's where I initially read it. Didn't really bother to follow up on this, either.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=32478.1

Thanks for the info. Looks like a rumor which was never confirmed that WGN wanted to be the first to report. I'm pretty sure Leiber is still out there. Man, I want the Sox to get him.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Just checked out MLB.com's list of free agents (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/hot_stove/y2002/free_agent_tracker.jsp?&section=3&sortbystat=Last_Name) and it still has him available. They're ususally pretty darn accurate with updating this kind of stuff, so he's still available. Now let's go sign him!

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 08:01 PM
So much for this idea. Nothing official yet, but Ken Rosenthal (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20030121/452349.html) is reporting that the Yanks are close to signing Leiber. I guess some other posts on here were correct, then.

Damn.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-21-2003, 08:05 PM
"CUBS BASEBALL - It's a full-time job."

that is a cubbie fan sig over there. how lame.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Why would Boston want Lieber? All they have to do is wait a year and they'll get Colon (it not like the Sox are actually going to sign him to a long term deal...)

Lip

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Why would Boston want Lieber? All they have to do is wait a year and they'll get Colon (it not like the Sox are actually going to sign him to a long term deal...)

Lip

If our White Sox were willing to go after Leiber, he would be a very nice pickup for us. Assuming we are in the race come August/September when Leiber comes back, he would be a great guy to add to solidify our rotation not only for competing for the division in the final two months, but also heading into the post season. He would then add a nice #3 role in the 2004 season while we see who develops the best out of Garland/Wright/Rauch. Or, if Colon leaves after this year, Leiber would be a nice arm to replace him.

Same can be said of them. Imagine a 2004 rotation of Martinez, Colon, Lowe, Wakefield

jeremyb1
01-22-2003, 12:13 AM
i really don't understand the point of signing lieber. why pay a pitcher a good amount of money to sit out at least 2/3rds of the season and then be inconsistent and largely ineffective when he returns. a lot of very good pitchers have returned from tommy john surgery only to battle inconsistency. its not the type of injury you come back from right away. leiber could help down the stretch in '03 but its incredibly unlikely. i for one wouldn't want to pay him over a million dollars to do next to nothing this season.

lieber is a good pitcher but not a great one and he'll be 34 in '04. it just doesn't seem like a good signing to me unless its at a bargain basement rate which i believed we already pursued. only a team like the yankees pays a lot of money for at most one effective season from a pitcher in his mid thirties.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i really don't understand the point of signing lieber. why pay a pitcher a good amount of money to sit out at least 2/3rds of the season and then be inconsistent and largely ineffective when he returns. a lot of very good pitchers have returned from tommy john surgery only to battle inconsistency. its not the type of injury you come back from right away. leiber could help down the stretch in '03 but its incredibly unlikely. i for one wouldn't want to pay him over a million dollars to do next to nothing this season.

lieber is a good pitcher but not a great one and he'll be 34 in '04. it just doesn't seem like a good signing to me unless its at a bargain basement rate which i believed we already pursued. only a team like the yankees pays a lot of money for at most one effective season from a pitcher in his mid thirties.

One more starting pitcher going into the stretch and the postseason would mean a hell of a lot to the Sox. I'd be very comfortable with Colon, Buehrle, and Leiber facing the 1,2,3's of other staffs, including the top staffs like Oakland and the Yankees. This one simple addition would be immeasurable to our success in the post season.

I doubt that Lieber will be payed well for 2003. He knows he's injured, his agent knows he's injured, and all 30 teams know he's injured. He won't get too much during the 2003 season. Which is why he will be signed to a 2 year deal. 2004 will be his payday, which still won't be huge. I think he'd come a lot cheaper than you'd think.

His production for us in 2004 would be beyond worth of what we would pay him. With Colon likely leaving, Leiber would maintain our 1-2 punch that we so sorely need.

Too bad none of this will happen...

Ventura23Fan
01-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1

IIRC, the Cubs offered him something like $750 K for '03 and $3 million for '04 only '04 was not guaranteed and the club could buy it out for $300 K. I'm not 100% sure those were the exact numbers but they were something like that. I bet if the Sox offered the same only guaranteeing '04, Lieber would accept. I think a pitcher of his caliber is worth the risk involved.

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ventura23Fan
IIRC, the Cubs offered him something like $750 K for '03 and $3 million for '04 only '04 was not guaranteed and the club could buy it out for $300 K. I'm not 100% sure those were the exact numbers but they were something like that. I bet if the Sox offered the same only guaranteeing '04, Lieber would accept. I think a pitcher of his caliber is worth the risk involved.

Absolutely, he would mean so much for us during the playoffs and the stretch and then would replace Colon in 04. Check out the thread entitled 'Mmm... officialness'.

CHISOXFAN13
01-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Why do you like LIeber so much? His numbers were slipping even before the surgery.

Ventura23Fan
01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Why do you like LIeber so much? His numbers were slipping even before the surgery.

The only thing that slipped was his W/L record (6-8), which I attribute to the Cubs poor bullpen. His other 2002 numbers compare favorably with his 2001 numbers when he went 20-6.

2001 2002
ERA 3.80 3.70
CG/GS 0.15 0.14
IP/GS 6.83 6.71
H/IP 0.97 1.09
BB/IP 0.18 0.09
K/IP 0.64 0.62

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 05:45 PM

I disagree with that. He still looks pretty good to me, and this was while he was pitching for the Cubs!

RichH55
01-24-2003, 02:46 PM

20 game winner without much around him, comes cheap but with risk...hell we could start stealing press clips from the Colon deal and sub in the name Lieber

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
20 game winner without much around him, comes cheap but with risk...hell we could start stealing press clips from the Colon deal and sub in the name Lieber

you forget to mention... 20 game winner FOR THE CUBS! That's translates to what, a 50 game winner on any other team?

RichH55
01-25-2003, 01:54 PM
you forget to mention... 20 game winner FOR THE CUBS! That's translates to what, a 50 game winner on any other team?

Either way its moot...Lieber is a yankee....3.5 over 2 IIRC

gogosoxgogo
01-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Either way its moot...Lieber is a yankee....3.5 over 2 IIRC

I know, doesn't mean I'm going to drop my argument though :smile: