PDA

View Full Version : SoxFest Countdown: Jan. 31 - Feb. 2, 2003

Viva Magglio
01-21-2003, 02:18 PM
SoxFest is now only ten days away. To wet your appetitie, here is a link all about the Hyatt Regency Chicago which is the headquarters of SoxFest. If any of you have any special Hyatt memories of SoxFest past, please post them here.

Iwritecode
01-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
here is a link

Me thinks you forgot something Viva...

:)

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-21-2003, 09:43 PM
We are still making plans for a babysitter and trying to figure out what day we can make it. Can someone confirm if they sell walk up tickets. I don't want to assume and drive 85 miles and find out. I could probably call but I wanted to turn to my buddies at WSI. Help Please!
Thanks!

Daver
01-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
We are still making plans for a babysitter and trying to figure out what day we can make it. Can someone confirm if they sell walk up tickets. I don't want to assume and drive 85 miles and find out. I could probably call but I wanted to turn to my buddies at WSI. Help Please!
Thanks!

Yes they sell walk up,I beleive there is a slight upcharge.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks Daver. I figured you would be quick to answer. :smile:

Viva Magglio
01-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Me thinks you forgot something Viva...

:)

It was a link to the Hyatt Regency, but it didn't work. Here is the general Hyatt hotel link whereby you will have to do a search and find for get the SoxFest HQ:

Hyatt Hotels (http://www.hyatt.com)

Hangar18
01-22-2003, 11:44 AM
Look for me in the ATRIUM BAR at the Hyatt before the
opening on Friday...and afterwards on Saturday nite.
I will have the SECRET RENOVATION PICS (the ones that
were taken down off the wks website) with me
for all to see!!

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 11:47 AM
You've got to change the title of this thread now.

voodoochile
01-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
You've got to change the title of this thread now.

Okay...

KonerkoPower14
01-22-2003, 03:31 PM
What is everyone looking to buy? I am going to look for some game used stuff.How much money is everyone bringing just to use to buy stuff?

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by KonerkoPower14
What is everyone looking to buy? I am going to look for some game used stuff.How much money is everyone bringing just to use to buy stuff?

Game used stuff gets expensive. I'm buying plaques where I can take out the pictures for them to sign and then hang them up on my wall.

Rocklive99
01-22-2003, 05:03 PM
I think this is the site http://chicagoregency.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml but I don't think there's a Soxfest section, or at least I can't find it.

Viva Magglio
01-24-2003, 08:18 AM
It's now just one week to go until SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. To the person who asked if you can get walkup tickets to SoxFest, you generally can get them day of. The only time I believe a SoxFest session ever sold out was the Saturday session of SoxFest 2001 (following the 2000 playoff season).

As for private autograph sessions, I got in the mail yesterday an invitation to a one Friday night for being among the first 250 people to make Hyatt reservations for SoxFest. The player in this session will be Paul Konkerko along with (if I recall correctly) Sox great Minnie Mińoso. I presume some of you got the same thing as well. Since I don't know the rest of the SoxFest schedule yet(specifically, when and where will Mágglio appear), I don't know if I'll attend this private session.

And as I said when I started this countdown thread, I think the REAL highlight of SoxFest is the after hours. The atrium bar (officially known as "BIG") is the epicenter of this activity where players and front office personnel semi-mingle with fans. A lot of times, though, players will meet at BIG and then go out to an establishment outside of the Hyatt (and away from us which is their prerogative).

Iwritecode
01-24-2003, 11:39 AM
As for private autograph sessions, I got in the mail yesterday an invitation to a one Friday night for being among the first 250 people to make Hyatt reservations for SoxFest. The player in this session will be Paul Konkerko along with (if I recall correctly) Sox great Minnie Mińoso. I presume some of you got the same thing as well. Since I don't know the rest of the SoxFest schedule yet(specifically, when and where will Mágglio appear), I don't know if I'll attend this private session.

Crap. Either I wasn't one of the first 250 people or my invite just hasn't gotten to me yet because I don't live in Chicago... :(:

steff
01-24-2003, 12:30 PM
A lot of times, though, players will meet at BIG and then go out to an establishment outside of the Hyatt (and away from us which is their prerogative).

Hehe... I know where they go.... :D:

Viva Magglio
01-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

Care to share? Of course, this would be for informational purposes only.

steff
01-24-2003, 12:43 PM
They goto church to :gulp: some holy water :D:

Juuuussstt kidding. Viva will you be at the bar Friday night? I've gotten some details already so depending on who you want to see out it depends where to go. I'll catch up with you there, kay?

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 01:06 PM
think that would be interesting to see where these guys hang out. Though I dont think it would be like going out and drinking WITH them. Im sure they leave there to get away from us.
Or are they pretty cool guys? Rowand actually came over
to our table and said hello and took some pics, hes a nice guy.
That went over very well with my Nephew and younger cousin.
they thought that was the coolest thing.

Viva Magglio
01-24-2003, 01:10 PM
They goto church to :gulp: some holy water :D:

Juuuussstt kidding. Viva will you be at the bar Friday night? I've gotten some details already so depending on who you want to see out it depends where to go. I'll catch up with you there, kay?

I'll play Friday night by ear, and I don't really "stalk" players in an attempt to hang out with them. If they leave BIG and get into a taxi, I won't get into the next taxi and instruct the driver to follow the taxi ahead of me.

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 01:11 PM
I just thought of a great idea. I know this sounds really corny, and I cant believe Im suggesting this, but someone should bring
stickers, and you put your nickname on it, at least if your walking by and see "VoodooChile", think we'll know its someone from WSI. I know. its corny, but it would work

Iwritecode
01-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I just thought of a great idea. I know this sounds really corny, and I cant believe Im suggesting this, but someone should bring
stickers, and you put your nickname on it, at least if your walking by and see "VoodooChile", think we'll know its someone from WSI. I know. its corny, but it would work

PHG did this last year. For some reason I didn't see anyone else wearing a sticker. Mine fell off eventually cause it wasn't sticky enough.

Hangar18
01-24-2003, 02:14 PM
OK....this is better. a WSI Flying Sock sticker.
one would obviously ask who that person was then....

KonerkoPower14
01-24-2003, 03:24 PM
I just got the letter today instating that I was one of the 250. It will be with Paul Konerko and Harold Baines for Saturday. Looking to bring all 42 cards of Konerko lol.

hose
01-24-2003, 08:37 PM

Don't tell Theo Fluery . :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Viva Magglio
01-27-2003, 07:47 AM
Is is now SoxFest Week. Later this week, whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com) should have the SoxFest schedule of events posted. Today, I want to discuss the exhibitors' portion of SoxFest. We all know that WSI will have a booth. In your mind, which exhibitor have you found to be the most interesting or the one you have spent money on the most?

whitesoxwilkes
01-27-2003, 07:54 AM
Is is now SoxFest Week. Later this week, whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com) should have the SoxFest schedule of events posted. Today, I want to discuss the exhibitors' portion of SoxFest. We all know that WSI will have a booth. In your mind, which exhibitor have you found to be the most interesting or the one you have spent money on the most?

I think the most interesting booths are the ones that focus on history (like the Nellie Fox Historical Society), but I ended up spending the most money last year at one of the vendors selling BallQubes.

Iwritecode
01-27-2003, 11:54 AM
For anyone in the area...

I got these driving directions from Yahoo. I’ve checked my map and they look pretty simple and clear. It looks like they will get me to where I want to go but it also looks kinda weird having to make a complete circle after coming off I-90. Is this my easiest option or is there an exit that heads east? Also, is there any reason I can’t turn left onto Wacker Dr. from Lake St? Are there any one-ways around there I’ll have to worry about? Check them out and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Continue on I-90/I94 EAST
Take the 150 NORTH/WEST RANDOLPH ST exit, exit #51B
Turn Right on W RANDOLPH ST
Turn Right on N HALSTED ST
Turn Right on W LAKE ST
Turn Left on N POST PL
Turn Right on W LOWER WACKER DR
Continue on E LOWER WACKER DR

whitesoxwilkes
01-27-2003, 12:14 PM
For anyone in the area...

I got these driving directions from Yahoo. I’ve checked my map and they look pretty simple and clear. It looks like they will get me to where I want to go but it also looks kinda weird having to make a complete circle after coming off I-90. Is this my easiest option or is there an exit that heads east? Also, is there any reason I can’t turn left onto Wacker Dr. from Lake St? Are there any one-ways around there I’ll have to worry about? Check them out and let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Continue on I-90/I94 EAST
Take the 150 NORTH/WEST RANDOLPH ST exit, exit #51B
Turn Right on W RANDOLPH ST
Turn Right on N HALSTED ST
Turn Right on W LAKE ST
Turn Left on N POST PL
Turn Right on W LOWER WACKER DR
Continue on E LOWER WACKER DR

I think you would be better off taking Lake to Dearborn or State, turning left, and then turning right on Wacker to take you toward the Hyatt. Be warned, pretty much every street downtown is a one way.

Viva Magglio
01-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I think you would be better off taking Lake to Dearborn or State, turning left, and then turning right on Wacker to take you toward the Hyatt. Be warned, pretty much every street downtown is a one way.

An alternative way would be to take Lake all the way to Stetson (a block or two east of Michigan Avenue) and turn left (north). This will take you right to the Hyatt and you can avoid the heavier traffic on Wacker Drive and Michigan Avenue.

voodoochile
01-27-2003, 01:19 PM
An alternative way would be to take Lake all the way to Stetson (a block or two east of Michigan Avenue) and turn left (north). This will take you right to the Hyatt and you can avoid the heavier traffic on Wacker Drive and Michigan Avenue.

As a former delivery driver, I can attest that this is a great route - easy too because Lake St. dead ends into Stetson - but it takes you to the upstairs Hyatt entrance. Parking (Probably at least $30 for an all day affair) is downstairs which can easily be reached off of lower Wacker (see IWC's post above) - you just have to follow it all the way around and the first light after lower Michigan (I have no idea what the name of it is - Lower Stetson(?) - turn right. Parking will be right there, just keep your eyes open.

Iwritecode
01-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
As a former delivery driver, I can attest that this is a great route - easy too because Lake St. dead ends into Stetson - but it takes you to the upstairs Hyatt entrance. Parking (Probably at least $30 for an all day affair) is downstairs which can easily be reached off of lower Wacker (see IWC's post above) - you just have to follow it all the way around and the first light after lower Michigan (I have no idea what the name of it is - Lower Stetson(?) - turn right. Parking will be right there, just keep your eyes open.

I shouldn't have to worry about parking as I have the two-night hotel package.

Two things I'm curious about though. According to this map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=151+E+Wacker+Dr&city=Chicago&state=IL&csz=Chicago,+IL+60601-3764&slt=41.887985&sln=-87.623658&zip=60601-3764&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&cs=9&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=60601&ds=n&mag=10&mlt=41.886904&mln=-87.623658&off=e) Lake St. dead ends a block after Stetson. Also, if you follow lower Wacker and turn right at the first light, you'll get to the same place Viva said except you'll be heading south instead of north... :?:

voodoochile
01-27-2003, 02:02 PM
I shouldn't have to worry about parking as I have the two-night hotel package.

Two things I'm curious about though. According to this map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=151+E+Wacker+Dr&city=Chicago&state=IL&csz=Chicago,+IL+60601-3764&slt=41.887985&sln=-87.623658&zip=60601-3764&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&cs=9&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=60601&ds=n&mag=10&mlt=41.886904&mln=-87.623658&off=e) Lake St. dead ends a block after Stetson. Also, if you follow lower Wacker and turn right at the first light, you'll get to the same place Viva said except you'll be heading south instead of north... :?:

Yeah, but you aren't far enough east to see that east of "Prudential Plaza" (also known as Stetson) it is called E Lower Lake St and you cannot get to lower Lake by going east off of Lake. After Michigan, you go up a hill and it is the only thing you can do. That hill dead ends at PP AKA Stetson. To get to the rest of lower East Lake, you have to go around the block it gets confusing...

Wacker bends. When you get on it, you are actually going south for the first 3/4 mile or so and then it bends east and continues for another 3/4 mile before you get to Lower Stetson Ave. It is easy, you cannot turn right at Stetson - the river is over there. You can cross the river at Michigan (light before Stetson) and Columbus (light after Stetsoin), but not at Stetson itself.

I should mention, there is definitely valet parking available until the garage is full, hotel guests, get a spot for sure, I would imagine, everyone else it is catch as catch can. DO NOT TRUST STREET PARKING FOR YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU ARE 100000% SURE YOU ARE LEGAL. They will tow you away and you will end up paying $200 for fines including the ticket. However, if you can find street parking, there shouldn't be a problem with vandalism. They may have special restrictions in place, expecting extra traffic - so like I said, be careful. Monroe Street Garage/Millenium Parking is a 2 block walk via lower Wacker to the hotel. It will cost you less than $10 to park all day. If you are physically able to hoof it, it is a great way to save some cash AND help Uncle Ritchie pay of the monstrosity known as Billionium Park as costs continue to skyrocket. The tax payers of Illinois would be eternally greatful...

Try this map instead (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Ds=n&uz=60601&BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&addr=151+E+Wacker+Dr&city=Chicago&state=IL&csz=Chicago%2C+IL+60601-3764&slt=41.887985&sln=-87.623658&mlt=41.885715&mln=-87.624543&zip=60601-3764&country=us&mag=10&cs=9&BFClient=&BFKey=&poi=&poititle=&map.x=393&map.y=197)

Viva Magglio
01-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I should mention, there is definitely valet parking available until the garage is full, hotel guests, get a spot for sure, I would imagine, everyone else it is catch as catch can. DO NOT TRUST STREET PARKING FOR YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU ARE 100000% SURE YOU ARE LEGAL. They will tow you away and you will end up paying $200 for fines including the ticket. However, if you can find street parking, there shouldn't be a problem with vandalism. They may have special restrictions in place, expecting extra traffic - so like I said, be careful. Monroe Street Garage/Millenium Parking is a 2 block walk via lower Wacker to the hotel. It will cost you less than $10 to park all day. If you are physically able to hoof it, it is a great way to save some cash AND help Uncle Ritchie pay of the monstrosity known as Billionium Park as costs continue to skyrocket. The tax payers of Illinois would be eternally greatful...

Try this map instead (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Ds=n&uz=60601&BFCat=&Pyt=Tmap&addr=151+E+Wacker+Dr&city=Chicago&state=IL&csz=Chicago%2C+IL+60601-3764&slt=41.887985&sln=-87.623658&mlt=41.885715&mln=-87.624543&zip=60601-3764&country=us&mag=10&cs=9&BFClient=&BFKey=&poi=&poititle=&map.x=393&map.y=197)

The Hyatt guest parking is $35 per night, meaning (as John Madden would say) people staying the two nights would have to drop $70 for parking on top of the $230 hotel package.