PDA

View Full Version : Sox Not Done?


Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Apparently KW has some other things in mind for the Sox from an acquisition standpoint.

Phil Arvia in the Daily Southtown had this interesting quote:

"The Gordon move may not be the last Williams makes in regard to his bullpen. That is the area he was believed to be referring to Monday when he allowed, "There's something else (in the works), something else that I'd rather not discuss."

Any thoughts on who the Sox may be looking at? (Roberto Hernandez?)

Lip

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Apparently KW has some other things in mind for the Sox from an acquisition standpoint.

Phil Arvia in the Daily Southtown had this interesting quote:

"The Gordon move may not be the last Williams makes in regard to his bullpen. That is the area he was believed to be referring to Monday when he allowed, "There's something else (in the works), something else that I'd rather not discuss."

Any thoughts on who the Sox may be looking at? (Roberto Hernandez?)

Lip

What makes him think it will be the bullpen? I think our bullpen is pretty well set as it is now. Long relief may be the only thing that's a bit iffy... but still.

kermittheefrog
01-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Any thoughts on who the Sox may be looking at? (Roberto Hernandez?)

Lip

Oh lord, please no Roberto Hernandez.

delben91
01-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Beltran?

Hangar18
01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Long Relief. thats where I think we could use some help
in our bullpen. Long Relief is a very underrated part
of the bullpen.
we need to get that bench up to par also.....im not liking it
without Liefer there

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 01:35 PM
The only thing I can think of that makes semi-sense for the Sox to go after (in the free agent market) is Cruz. And my opinions on him are well expressed.

THE_HOOTER
01-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Don't be surprised if Centerfield is where Williams looks for help.

I would not be shocked if he signed Lofton again. And if he did, I would not be upset.

He is better than rowand, and prolly wont cost much. He palyed pretty well for the giants.

jeremyb1
01-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
Don't be surprised if Centerfield is where Williams looks for help.

I would not be shocked if he signed Lofton again. And if he did, I would not be upset.

He is better than rowand, and prolly wont cost much. He palyed pretty well for the giants.

i really disagree there. lofton was outstanding the first month of the season but after that he was horrendous. he was killing us out there. he couldn't get on base to save his life.

i'm assuming that quote speculates relief because kw made some mention about requiring another relief pitcher as opposed to a cf.

i for one would not have a huge problem with hernandez. that could be what kw is looking into.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Please God don't let it be Lofton. I really got sick of him. I definitely feel better off with Rowand or Borchard out in center than I do Lofton. I liked the Lofton signing originally last year, but it didn't work out. No need in making the same mistake twice. We all need to remember that the team didn't really start playing well until we got rid of Lofton, Ray, and Alomar. Why bring them back? I would much rather lose with young, enthusiastic talent that old, overrated, egomaniacal (sp?) talent. Needless to say I hope it's not Lofton.

duke of dorwood
01-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Whoever is not the 5th starter may be the long reliever.

Dadawg_77
01-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Loftan's production fell off becuase he tweak his hammy which affected him for a few months. Once it healed up he was back to producing pretty well for SF. But I wouldn't want to grab him, just doesn't seem like he could play a complete season.

upnorthsox
01-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Any thoughts on who the Sox may be looking at? (Roberto Hernandez?)


Rick White hopefully.

Iguana775
01-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Apparently KW has some other things in mind for the Sox from an acquisition standpoint.

Phil Arvia in the Daily Southtown had this interesting quote:

"The Gordon move may not be the last Williams makes in regard to his bullpen. That is the area he was believed to be referring to Monday when he allowed, "There's something else (in the works), something else that I'd rather not discuss."

Any thoughts on who the Sox may be looking at? (Roberto Hernandez?)

Lip

i hope it is a #5 so rauch can be in long relief until he gets comfortable like burly did.

WillieHarris12
01-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Kenny Rogers? You never know...

Nothing is sweeter than this though:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/01/20/3gfHeKNr.jpg

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
Kenny Rogers? You never know...

Nothing is sweeter than this though:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/01/20/3gfHeKNr.jpg

Jeez - he looks about exactly the same (in terms of size/weight) as always to me. Sounds to me like the "scouts" being quoted all over the place about his purported weight gain were just trying to scare away potential suitors.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I really hope it's Leiber.

soxtalker
01-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Loftan's production fell off becuase he tweak his hammy which affected him for a few months. Once it healed up he was back to producing pretty well for SF. But I wouldn't want to grab him, just doesn't seem like he could play a complete season.

Well, what about signing him on the assumption that he'll only be able to play part of the season. Give Borchard time to play down at AAA, and then bring him up if/when Loftan gets hurt.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this approach -- just throwing it out there. It would make much more sense at the catcher position, where the reports have been much more consistant that Olivo just needs part of a season. Borchard has to work through his strike-out problem, and it isn't clear how much time that will take.

kermittheefrog
01-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Well, what about signing him on the assumption that he'll only be able to play part of the season. Give Borchard time to play down at AAA, and then bring him up if/when Loftan gets hurt.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of this approach -- just throwing it out there. It would make much more sense at the catcher position, where the reports have been much more consistant that Olivo just needs part of a season. Borchard has to work through his strike-out problem, and it isn't clear how much time that will take.

Since when do strike outs prevent someone from being a productive player?

Daver
01-21-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Since when do strike outs prevent someone from being a productive player?

You beat me to it Kermit.

Jim Thome is not a productive player?

fuzzy_patters
01-21-2003, 11:37 PM
Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and Reggie Jackson weren't very productive either. That's why the Yankees never win the World Series.

jeremyb1
01-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Since when do strike outs prevent someone from being a productive player?

i agree with you to a certain extent but i don't think strikeouts are completely inconsequential. its certainly not a good thing if borchard strikes out close to 300 times. if the rest of his numbers had been outstanding then i'd say, the k's aren't a big deal but considering the fact that his average hasn't been all that impressive, i think all the minor league k's suggest he may have some holes in his swing.

harwar
01-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Lofton did have a minor strain to his hamstring but the reason he was so unproductive the rest of the year is because he didn't want to be here and REALLY wanted to be traded to a team that was post-season bound.Also,hes' a real cancer in the clubhouse and i don't think theres a player outside of BIG FRANK who would even sit next to him.I'd much rather have Rowand or Borchard.Also,i think R.Herdanez is just about done as i heard nothing but bad stuff about his pitching ability lately.I wouldn't mind Chuck Finley for long relief(or short),hes' still got a very good curveball.Who knows how Kelly Wunch is going to be this year.

pudge
01-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, and Reggie Jackson weren't very productive either. That's why the Yankees never win the World Series.

If you K a lot, you better walk a lot too. How have Borchard's OBP numbers been?

gogosoxgogo
01-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by pudge
If you K a lot, you better walk a lot too. How have Borchard's OBP numbers been? '

49BB to 139K in 438AB last year in AAA.