PDA

View Full Version : Sully On Difference Between Cub / Sox Fans

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 12:30 AM
Paul Sullivan ("Sully" to his friends) is now "officially" on the Cub beat at the Tribune with Teddy Greensteen coming over to the Sox.

Sully was a friend to WSI, a regular reader and I'm sure we wish him the best. He's also a longtime Sox fan.

Sully pointed out the differences between Cub and Sox fans in his story which just appeared on the Tribune web site.

To wit:

Cubs fans appear to be the same, still skeptical and optimistic on alternating days, depending on their mood swings and what time of the year it is. The biggest difference between Cubs fans and Sox fans is obvious to anyone who has attended both conventions. Cubs fans politely chide management for bad moves during the question-and-answer sessions, while Sox fans accuse management of deliberately trying to ruin their lives with poor decision-making.

Though they never would admit it, Cubs fans could learn a few lessons from Sox fans, who may not fill Comiskey Park but do pay attention to almost every pitch in every game. The game is always the thing at Comiskey, whereas Wrigley Field, as Tim Raines once remarked, is "an amusement park ride."

Kilroy
01-21-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The game is always the thing at Comiskey, whereas Wrigley Field, as Tim Raines once remarked, is "an amusement park ride." [/B]

How true it is. Of all the games I've been to at Wrigley, very few of my Wrigley memories are related to action on the field. While at Comiskey, I have tons of replays in my head.

Highlights of the few baseball memories:

Seeing Pete Rose there.

Saw a game where the Cubs shellacked someone 15-6. We showed up late cuz we were bar-hoppin, and in the top of 2, it was 4-2, and someone was hitting one out as we were trying to get to our seats. Dunston hit 2 that day...

The dreaded "ivy" game. Screw you Brant Brown!

Those, along with pulling for the visitors every time I was ever there... when I was watching, of course.

My fondest Wrigley memory was sneaking off to Wrigley one afternoon with a young hottie and having what amounted to the perfect day. We snuck down into seats about 10 rows off the visitors dugout and soaked up some sun, had a couple cold ones, etc. Then a week or so later, at a party, someone came up and asked me who the girl I was with that day was. My girlfriend at the time, who wasn't with me that day, also wanted to know. As luck would have it, apparently, since the Cubs were stinking up the field, the cameras decided to look for fans having a good time at the park. They found us, and I'm told that Harry spent a good 15-20 seconds talking about how I was "...a lucky young man with a pretty girl."

34 Inch Stick
01-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Kilroy, if being with a hot girl and just sitting in good seats at a baseball game is your idea of the "perfect" day, you and I have a different idea of what perfect is.

When I started reading the paragraph I thought we were going to get some good story about you gettin it on, on a rooftop or in the bleachers. Tell me this is just the G rated version of the story and you don't want your girlfriend to know what really happened.

Kilroy
01-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Kilroy, if being with a hot girl and just sitting in good seats at a baseball game is your idea of the "perfect" day, you and I have a different idea of what perfect is.

When I started reading the paragraph I thought we were going to get some good story about you gettin it on, on a rooftop or in the bleachers. Tell me this is just the G rated version of the story and you don't want your girlfriend to know what really happened.

Of course its the G-rated version of the story. The point of it was me gettin ratted out by Harry Cary. The part of the story that really made it the perfect day was summed up in the "etc". And I figured that it was a bit off topic.

Since you asked, in short, some kids in a van and a toll booth guy are probably telling a story about us to this day...

voodoochile
01-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
How true it is. Of all the games I've been to at Wrigley, very few of my Wrigley memories are related to action on the field. While at Comiskey, I have tons of replays in my head.

Highlights of the few baseball memories:

Seeing Pete Rose there.

Saw a game where the Cubs shellacked someone 15-6. We showed up late cuz we were bar-hoppin, and in the top of 2, it was 4-2, and someone was hitting one out as we were trying to get to our seats. Dunston hit 2 that day...

The dreaded "ivy" game. Screw you Brant Brown!

Those, along with pulling for the visitors every time I was ever there... when I was watching, of course.

My fondest Wrigley memory was sneaking off to Wrigley one afternoon with a young hottie and having what amounted to the perfect day. We snuck down into seats about 10 rows off the visitors dugout and soaked up some sun, had a couple cold ones, etc. Then a week or so later, at a party, someone came up and asked me who the girl I was with that day was. My girlfriend at the time, who wasn't with me that day, also wanted to know. As luck would have it, apparently, since the Cubs were stinking up the field, the cameras decided to look for fans having a good time at the park. They found us, and I'm told that Harry spent a good 15-20 seconds talking about how I was "...a lucky young man with a pretty girl."

Reminds me of a story about my buddy. He was working as a bartender at a hotel and had recently started dating his boss. No one at work knew they were dating. One Sunday while the hotel employees were doing a charity carwash - where she was supposed to help out - they went to a flubbies game instead and were sitting in the bleachers. The Flubbies were losing big early, but came back late and the game went into extra innings. In the top of the 15th or something the place is already mostly empty as the flubbies give up 6 runs or so. The girl falls asleep on my buddies shoulder. They catch it on camera and send it out to the folks at home. Not too bad, except they looked so cute the highlight of her snoozing with her head on his shoulder were rebroadcast on the nightly news on channels 2, 5, 7 and 9. When Sportscenter used it too, they were not happy. All her boss said was, "You looked cute."

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 10:34 AM
This is exactly the truth. Sox fans care about their team. Cub fans care about their field and their image.

Dan H
01-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Sullivan is right. Cub fans can learn a lot from Sox fans about the game. The first thing they should learn is not to throw opposition home fun balls back. Of course, that is just a start. Cub fans know so little, and there is so little time.