PDA

View Full Version : greenstein to return to sox; sullivan to the cubs

jeremyb1
01-21-2003, 12:12 AM
i for one am really pleased. i learned to tolerate sullivan but i've always enjoyed teddy greenstein more. the last time the two swapped places we won 95 games so hopefully its a sign of good things to come.

sullivan writes about switching back to the other side of town here (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-030120sullivan,0,4176176.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines). i didn't see a similar article by greenstein at this point.

Viva Magglio
01-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i for one am really pleased. i learned to tolerate sullivan but i've always enjoyed teddy greenstein more. the last time the two swapped places we won 95 games so hopefully its a sign of good things to come.

sullivan writes about switching back to the other side of town here (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-030120sullivan,0,4176176.story?coll=cs%2Dhome%2Dhe adlines). i didn't see a similar article by greenstein at this point.

As long as ten years ago, it was common for the beat writers of both major papers to switch teams at the All Star break. For example, when Dave Van Dyck and Joe Goddard were the beat writers for the Sun-Times, Van Dyck would cover the Sox and Goddard the Cubs in the first half. Then, after the break, Goddard would cover the Sox and Van Dyck the Cubs. That would continue until the All Star break of the following season when they would switch sides once again.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Actually this may not be completely true.

Sully communicated with me this morning. He said he is going to the Cubs but the rumor around the Tribune is that they may be hiring a person from "outside" to come in and cover the Sox. It's not a done deal on Greenstein. He didn't state any reasons why this may be happening.

Sully said if the Sox do make the post season he'll be assisting the Sox beat guy by doing some "sidebar" stories. (Of course this assumes that the Cubs don't make the playoffs...)

He wished everybody at WSI well, said he'd continue to read our "subversive" (LOL) web site and that he'll probably return to Sox coverage in 2005.

Lip

jeremyb1
01-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Actually this may not be completely true.

Sully communicated with me this morning. He said he is going to the Cubs but the rumor around the Tribune is that they may be hiring a person from "outside" to come in and cover the Sox. It's not a done deal on Greenstein. He didn't state any reasons why this may be happening.

Sully said if the Sox do make the post season he'll be assisting the Sox beat guy by doing some "sidebar" stories. (Of course this assumes that the Cubs don't make the playoffs...)

He wished everybody at WSI well, said he'd continue to read our "subversive" (LOL) web site and that he'll probably return to Sox coverage in 2005.

Lip

damn. i really like greenstein. i'd love to see him cover the sox this season.

Cheryl
01-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

It's not a done deal on Greenstein. He didn't state any reasons why this may be happening.

Thank goodness if they do. Greenstein is the moron who started that rumor last year about Sox fans killing the ivy at the Urinal.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Greenstein according to Sully is also a die hard Yankee fan, new York born and raised.

Lip

WhiteSox = Life
01-21-2003, 08:59 PM
I really don't know how I'll like Greenstein on the White Sox beat, especially since he seems like such a Cubune Puppet.

Already he's had an article that focuses less on the news than it does about Colon's weight. (See today's Trib)

I'm willing to give Greeny a chance, though. We'll see what his stories involve later on in the season to form true opinions about him. Until then, we'll just have to let him re-develop his White Sox writing skills in preseason, but once the season hits...

:smile: