PDA

View Full Version : where does gordon fit in?

pissonthecubs
01-20-2003, 10:30 PM
hey, wasn't it Tom Gordon last year when he came back from the DL at the begining of the season, who said that he is a closer and only a closer and wouldn't be a set-up man,as the Flubs had Six Fingers Alfanseca as there closer at the time. well with the Sox picking him up this past weekend, don't the Sox have a established closer in Koch? just wondering. who convinced him to just come out of the bullpen?

Daver
01-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
who convinced him to just come out of the bullpen?

1.4 Million dollars convinced him to pitch out of the pen.

gogosoxgogo
01-20-2003, 10:33 PM
This has been discussed a lot on these threads, but I don't think there is much to worry about. When he signed with the Sox, they had already announced that Koch was their closer. I think Gordon is pretty well aware that his closing days are coming to an end. The difference is that the Cubs signed Alfonseca after they acquired Gordon. Gordon should be our 7th inning setup man, but will probably be used ahead of Marte in the 8th inning role.

WinningUgly!
01-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Gordon should be our 7th inning setup man, but will probably be used ahead of Marte in the 8th inning role.

Marte & Gordon will flip flop 8th inning set-up duties, based on who is due up. I like the move. Gordon is still a very good strike out pitcher out of the pen. He's just not an every day closer anymore.

gogosoxgogo
01-20-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Marte & Gordon will flip flop 8th inning set-up duties, based on who is due up. I like the move. Gordon is still a very good strike out pitcher out of the pen. He's just not an every day closer anymore.

It's better than nothing. I'd still rather have Osuna, but hey, Osuna for Colon is something I'll take anyday. :D: