PDA

View Full Version : Maybe some possible pick-ups

pissonthecubs
01-20-2003, 10:04 PM
i was looking through this weeks issue of sports illustrated and in the "inside baseball" section and they have a list of some of the top players still out on the free agency market. some of the names sparked some interest in me. lately i have been hearing that the sox might have some interest in Pudge Rodriguez. i thought that if they bring him in, we could always move Sandy Alomar as a coach of some kind. also on the list was Jose Cruz Jr. of the Blue Jays. he had an off year in '02 with a injury, but i think could bounce back and with the sox not having a CF that doesn't like falling off dirt bikes, and could be a good fit.

with the pitchers the one guy i saw that might fit good would be to bring back James Baldwin. i know he might be injury prone, but for his price, might not be all that bad.

also i read that Chairman Jerry is 70 yrs old, and he always said that he would trade in his 6 NBA championships for just one World Series Title. So maybe we might see this team really shell out the cash to try to get the best players we could get. hey, its just a thought, but i'm looking on the bright side!

gogosoxgogo
01-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Sox won't get Pudge. Read Lip's most on the friend that contacted him from the Town Hall Meetings. Jose Cruz Jr. would be nice... but he scares me to death with his K/BB ratio.

voodoochile
01-20-2003, 10:14 PM
I'd take a flyer on Cruz jr. too.

If IRod can't get his big multi-year deal, he just might take a one year contract and see what the market offers next year. Sox should offer him 1 year $8.5M (another $2M in incentives based on how far they get in the playoffs) and see if he'll takes it. He can mentor Olivo for a year and San-DL-Omar becomes a coach.

gogosoxgogo
01-20-2003, 10:16 PM
Sorry to ruin hopes, but the Sox will not be getting IRod (I just realized I called him Pudge in the last post... somebody shoot me!). KW has publicly stated that the Sox don't have the money to compete after IRod. To be honest, I'm happy about that. He would screw up our pitchers and waste money that could be spent on signing our one two punch long-term.

Daver
01-20-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'd take a flyer on Cruz jr. too.

If IRod can't get his big multi-year deal, he just might take a one year contract and see what the market offers next year. Sox should offer him 1 year $8.5M (another $2M in incentives based on how far they get in the playoffs) and see if he'll takes it. He can mentor Olivo for a year and San-DL-Omar becomes a coach.

Do NOT,I repeat do NOT Let I Rod anywhere near the Sox young pitchers.

WinningUgly!
01-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Sorry to ruin hopes, but the Sox will not be getting IRod (I just realized I called him Pudge in the last post... somebody shoot me!). KW has publicly stated that the Sox don't have the money to compete after IRod. To be honest, I'm happy about that. He would screw up our pitchers and waste money that could be spent on signing our one two punch long-term.

I don't think I-Rod is that bad at handling a pitching staff. Who exactly has he had throwing to him that has been worth a damn? I don't see anyway I-Rod ends up on the Southside, but signing him to a multi-year deal would somewhat make sense. Frank Thomas is most likely gone after this season, which opens up the door for Rodriguez to DH as often as he needs to. Another option is 2B in '04. Valentin is also probably gone after this year, Jimenez most likely slides over to SS, leaving an opening at 2B. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 30+ catcher making the transition to 2nd base, though. :o:

gogosoxgogo
01-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I don't think I-Rod is that bad at handling a pitching staff. Who exactly has he had throwing to him that has been worth a damn? I don't see anyway I-Rod ends up on the Southside, but signing him to a multi-year deal would somewhat make sense. Frank Thomas is most likely gone after this season, which opens up the door for Rodriguez to DH as often as he needs to. Another option is 2B in '04. Valentin is also probably gone after this year, Jimenez most likely slides over to SS, leaving an opening at 2B. I'm not sure I like the idea of a 30+ catcher making the transition to 2nd base, though. :o:

There have been stats that have shown that when IRod catchers, his pitchers ERA's have been significantly higher than when they have another catcher. There have also been quotes from previous teams saying how he's been known to simply lay down the good ole' number one and how he doesn't work with pitchers to figure out their strengths and weaknesses at all. I definately wouldn't sign him to a multi year deal. Olivo is our catcher of the future, and if Frank leaves, Lee will most likely take over the DH role. You said it yourself with IRod playing second. I can only imagine the errors he'd be making. I think that second base is a lot harder position than people make it out to be.

jeremyb1
01-21-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by daver
Do NOT,I repeat do NOT Let I Rod anywhere near the Sox young pitchers.

i'm definately also a member of that camp. you couldn't pay me money to let him catch our young guys.

as for cruz he's now supposedly looking for a one year deal and hoping to get a better long term deal next offseason so he may be more of a possibility now than he was in the past.

harwar
01-21-2003, 09:25 AM
I was living in Dallas,TX. at the time Ivan was brought up.He was (and is) a tremendous natural talent as a defensive catcher.That came easy.He worked his but off on his hitting though to become a very good offensive player.However;Everyone in Texas knows he has had trouble calling games and got into a shoving match once with Kevin Brown over it.K.Brown became a star after he left the rangers.

34 Inch Stick
01-21-2003, 10:05 AM
I don't think you are going to be seeing anyone else signed during this pre season. A payroll inflation would just be too risky for JR and completely out of character. Now if we are in it in August and attendance is going to top 2 million, I think we may see JR take a shot at the big time.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
as for cruz he's now supposedly looking for a one year deal and hoping to get a better long term deal next offseason so he may be more of a possibility now than he was in the past.

I suppose I'd be content with a one year deal for cheap. Definately don't sign him long term. He might be a good guy to alternate with Rowand until Borchard arrives and if either he or Rowand pulls ahead, let them start full time. Like I've said, it's just that K/BB ratio that scares the **** out of me. He has no plate discipline which results in a Royce Clayton-like batting average.

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 12:03 PM
I suppose I'd be content with a one year deal for cheap. Definately don't sign him long term. He might be a good guy to alternate with Rowand until Borchard arrives and if either he or Rowand pulls ahead, let them start full time. Like I've said, it's just that K/BB ratio that scares the **** out of me. He has no plate discipline which results in a Royce Clayton-like batting average.

He's only 28, he is only year removed from a 34 HR, 32 SB, .856 OPS year and he's a switch hitter. Although he had an off year last year, I don't expect Rowand's '03 numbers to be any better (and they'll probably be a little worse). My point is, I think Cruz Jr. at his worst is about the same as Rowand at his best. Cruz Jr. at his best is way better than Rowand ever will be. I'd love to see the Sox give him a one year deal (assuming he can play CF; I thought he played LF for Toronto). But I doubt he'd come here unless he was promised a starting job.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
He's only 28, he is only year removed from a 34 HR, 32 SB, .856 OPS year and he's a switch hitter. Although he had an off year last year, I don't expect Rowand's '03 numbers to be any better (and they'll probably be a little worse). My point is, I think Cruz Jr. at his worst is about the same as Rowand at his best. Cruz Jr. at his best is way better than Rowand ever will be. I'd love to see the Sox give him a one year deal (assuming he can play CF; I thought he played LF for Toronto). But I doubt he'd come here unless he was promised a starting job.

I like his power numbers, I like his speed and I like his switch hitting. However...

Last year: 106K to 51BB .245 avg
2001: 138K to 45BB .274 avg
2000: 129K to 71BB .242 avg

And it just goes on like that.

RichH55
01-24-2003, 02:41 PM
I like his power numbers, I like his speed and I like his switch hitting. However...

Do you think you are going to be getting better in Rowand?

hold2dibber
01-24-2003, 03:19 PM

I think those are precisely the kind of numbers we'll see from Rowand (or possibly even a little worse) but with less power and without the ability to hit on the left side.

jeremyb1
01-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Do you think you are going to be getting better in Rowand?

there's absolutely no reason to believe rowand can't hit .250 when given regular atbats. come on.

hold2dibber
01-24-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
there's absolutely no reason to believe rowand can't hit .250 when given regular atbats. come on.

I agree - my fear is that his OBP wil be .280. But I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up an OBP in the .320 range. I could probably live with that, especially if he socks 15-20 HRs and improves his D a little.

gogosoxgogo
01-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I agree - my fear is that his OBP wil be .280. But I wouldn't be surprised if he puts up an OBP in the .320 range. I could probably live with that, especially if he socks 15-20 HRs and improves his D a little.
And Cruz's OBP would be any better? I'm not totally against Cruz, but I would have liked a leadoff hitting center fielder, and Cruz can't lead off.

ssang
01-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Let's not fool ourselves. Rowand is an average ballplayer at best. He'd make a valuable bench player but as far as a starting center fielder....he's medicore at best. We need to upgrade at CF and hopefully Borchard will be ready to contribute .265 with 35 HR's sooner rather than later. Heck, I'd take .248 with 26 HR's over Rowand!