PDA

View Full Version : Parque Signed by the D-Rays

Unregistered
01-20-2003, 08:28 PM
From the Associated Press:
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Left-hander Jim Parque and outfielder Ryan Thompson agreed Monday to minor league contracts with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Parque, 27, has made only nine starts in the last two years. His 2001 season was shut down after five starts because of a torn labrum in his left shoulder, and the same shoulder gave him more trouble last season.

He was 13-6 for the White Sox in 2000, but was 0-3 in 2001 and went 1-4 with a 9.95 ERA in just eight games last season. He became a free agent when the White Sox failed to offer a contract by the Dec. 20 deadline.

Thompson, 35, split last season between Milwaukee and Triple-A Indianapolis. He is a career .243 hitter in 416 major league games with six teams, with 52 homers and 176 RBIs.

He became a free agent in October when he refused an outright assignment from the Brewers to the minor leagues.
:butter
"Now I'll fit right in with the rest of the staff when i give up 8 runs a game!"

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-20-2003, 08:31 PM
They deserve each other.
:whiner:

Pete_SSAC
01-20-2003, 08:33 PM
He became a free agent in October when he refused an outright assignment from the Brewers to the minor leagues.

Ummm... did I miss something?

- Pete

Huisj
01-20-2003, 08:36 PM
that was thompson they were talking about

Pete_SSAC
01-20-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
that was thompson they were talking about

Oh yeah...wow... I can read...

- Pete

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-20-2003, 09:00 PM
wow, butter was determined to the ace of any staff. i cant wait till the Sox rock him to the bench if he pitches at Comiskey.

WinningUgly!
01-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Whew, finally the D-Rays have the hole filled from losing Tanyon Sturtze. :)

gogosoxgogo
01-20-2003, 09:04 PM
I was hoping we would sign to a Navarro-like contract.

duke of dorwood
01-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Did Pinella have his eyes closed the night Cameron and Boone were Rocking HR off this guy ?

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 09:28 AM
This just further proves that if you throw left handed you can pitch forever once you make the majors. Left handers get recycled no matter how bad they are, and Butter was pretty darn bad.

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
This just further proves that if you throw left handed you can pitch forever once you make the majors. Left handers get recycled no matter how bad they are, and Butter was pretty darn bad.

But he's only 27 years old, and the last time he was healthy, he had 13 wins and an ERA of about 4.00. Plus, he tries like hell and sticks up for his teammates. I think he's certainly worth giving a shot with a minor league contract. If he can get his arm back to 100%, I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a decent pitcher again.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I agree that he may be worth a minor league contract, but I think it's over for Butter. It's been two years since the injury, and from what I've heard he has shown no indications of getting better. He is not a pitcher, but a thrower. He can't hammer people with what little heat he had, and until he learns to hit spots and PITCH he's done. But what I was trying to say is that this shot he has been given is based almost entirely on him throwing lefthanded. Even if he fails again, he'll probably be given another chance because he's a lefty. Lefties just seem to stick around forever no matter how bad they are.

But then again the Cardinals did pick up Eldred, so maybe I'm just an idiot.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 10:19 AM

To a minor league contract worth almost nothing with one of the best pitching coaches in the majors. Not a bad deal for them because they lose nothing in the event he sucks.

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 10:21 AM
I agree that he may be worth a minor league contract, but I think it's over for Butter. It's been two years since the injury, and from what I've heard he has shown no indications of getting better. He is not a pitcher, but a thrower. He can't hammer people with what little heat he had, and until he learns to hit spots and PITCH he's done. But what I was trying to say is that this shot he has been given is based almost entirely on him throwing lefthanded. Even if he fails again, he'll probably be given another chance because he's a lefty. Lefties just seem to stick around forever no matter how bad they are.

It's kind of amazing to me how quickly the members of the Sox' 2000 rotation has fallen apart. Parque has been hurt ever since and is struggling just to get back to the majors. Same for Sirotka and Eldred. JB has been pretty lousy ever since '00, is currently unsigned and will be lucky to catch on as someone's no. 4 or 5 starter next year.

I am not a KW fan, but when people say that he's taken a 95 win team and turned it into an 81 win team in 2 years, what they forget is that the starting rotation that was a huge part of the success of the 2000 team has completely disintegrated.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 10:29 AM
I agree that KW is not to blame for that pitching staff's implosion. About the only ones left with any kind of future is JB and possibly Parque, and those aren't really bright futures. I'd love to see the Sox get back JB in some sort of capacity. I really liked him.

Wasn't Eldred's injury serious enough for doctors to tell him to never pitch again after he tried his comeback? I thought for him to try to pitch again would be a serious risk to his health. But then again maybe I'm an idiot.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 10:33 AM
I agree that KW is not to blame for that pitching staff's implosion. About the only ones left with any kind of future is JB and possibly Parque, and those aren't really bright futures. I'd love to see the Sox get back JB in some sort of capacity. I really liked him.

Wasn't Eldred's injury serious enough for doctors to tell him to never pitch again after he tried his comeback? I thought for him to try to pitch again would be a serious risk to his health. But then again maybe I'm an idiot.

I don't think Parque has much of a future. It looks like he's pretty much done for. JB would be extremely lucky to get a #5 starting position on an average team. I loved him when he was with us in 2000, but I don't want him now. He just didn't have it last year. He lost it after his second half in 2000. I'd rather go with Rauch.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 10:38 AM
I would much rather see Rauch as our #5 also, but I don't think JB as a Sean Lowe type would be such a bad deal. I think he would be very successfull as a long reliever/spot starter. I think part of JB's problem was that he never seemed to adjust to leaving Chicago. He seems to be that rare player who never wanted to leave and played horribly after leaving. Besides if Parque can warrant a minor league contract, the Sox ought to be able to offer JB the same thing.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 10:40 AM
I would much rather see Rauch as our #5 also, but I don't think JB as a Sean Lowe type would be such a bad deal. I think he would be very successfull as a long reliever/spot starter. I think part of JB's problem was that he never seemed to adjust to leaving Chicago. He seems to be that rare player who never wanted to leave and played horribly after leaving. Besides if Parque can warrant a minor league contract, the Sox ought to be able to offer JB the same thing.

I think there are better options that we have in house for long relief than either JB or Lowe. We're stacked with pitchers in the minors that could fill that role.

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I believe Parque is going to be in the majors for the D Rays...

I think there are better options that we have in house for long relief than either JB or Lowe. We're stacked with pitchers in the minors that could fill that role.

I don't think we are. I think the Sox need someone who can be a spot starter. I suppose Glover could fill that role, but I'd rather keep him in the role for which he is best suited - middle reliever. I think JB would be a decent choice to fill that role. I don't really think any of the Sox minor leaguers are ready to fill that position (Malone? Ulacia? West? - none of those guys were particularly good in the minors last year). The Sox minor leaguers who seem potentially ready to jump to the majors this year are short relievers - Almonte and Munoz.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't think we are. I think the Sox need someone who can be a spot starter. I suppose Glover could fill that role, but I'd rather keep him in the role for which he is best suited - middle reliever. I think JB would be a decent choice to fill that role. I don't really think any of the Sox minor leaguers are ready to fill that position (Malone? Ulacia? West? - none of those guys were particularly good in the minors last year). The Sox minor leaguers who seem potentially ready to jump to the majors this year are short relievers - Almonte and Munoz.

Stewart could get it done.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 11:20 AM
I would feel much better with an established major leaguer filling that role. That role is not based on talent as much as it is being able to get people out at the major league level. JB is a team guy, and I think he would be a perfect fit for that situation.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 11:26 AM
I would feel much better with an established major leaguer filling that role. That role is not based on talent as much as it is being able to get people out at the major league level. JB is a team guy, and I think he would be a perfect fit for that situation.

I just think that Stewart would be much more effective. Baldwin dind't have too great a year last year.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm not saying JB's positively the answer, but I'm saying if he is healthy I would feel much more confident in him than a rookie. Let the younger guys get regular starts in the minors. I hate it when the Sox put the younger starters in the pen. It always seems that when they don't succeed there they never make it as a starter either. Let them get confidence in the minors and then bring them up.

Hangar18
01-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
It's kind of amazing to me how quickly the members of the Sox' 2000 rotation has fallen apart. Parque has been hurt ever since and is struggling just to get back to the majors. Same for Sirotka and Eldred. JB has been pretty lousy ever since '00, is currently unsigned and will be lucky to catch on as someone's no. 4 or 5 starter next year.

I am not a KW fan, but when people say that he's taken a 95 win team and turned it into an 81 win team in 2 years, what they forget is that the starting rotation that was a huge part of the success of the 2000 team has completely disintegrated.

Lets do some simple math here.
Baldwin
Eldred
Sirotka
Parque
3 of these 4 had major injuries during/after the season.
KW then traded one of the pitchers and replaced him
with Wells. He still didnt address the question of the
other 3 pitchers. He FOOLISHLY went into the season
with 3 question marks in a 5 man staff. We know how that
season ended. KW was pretty stupid to not realize
that 5 - 3 = 2 He had only 2 legit pitchers to start the yr off.

now we see how a 95win team slipped to sub .500.