Lets see if anyone can remember these studs:

esteban beltre
donn pall
greg hibbard
terry leach--actually not bad at times
kenny "mullet" Patterson
melido perez-horrible, I think his ERA was like 12
Shawn Abner

The pope was not bad in a Sox uni,he contributed a hell of a lot more than Steve Sax ever did.

Huisj
01-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Just my luck--the first two sox games i ever attended as a youngster were pitched by melido perez. and they lost. actually he was almost decent for a little while.

and i like esteban beltre's name so much that in spanish class in high school we had to pick spanish names to go by during class, and i picked his. had a canon for an arm but unfortunately a canon for a glove too--the ball just bounced off of it like it was metal. he tried to make a comeback a few years back as a pitcher, didn't he?

i remember that one time one of the sox radio guys (can't remember if is was rooney or wayne hagen) called hibbard "the best young left-hander in the american league." he was pretty good for a short time. and then people found out that every single pitch he threw was a changeup, and that he really wasn't changing up from anything.

i have a baseball card of terry leach shot from the side right when he's releasing the ball--his arm looks like his elbow is bent totally backwards, it's really crazy looking.

we got abner from anaheim, didn't we? he was a little squatty gut if i remember right.

don't remember a ton about patterson. he was a lefty, right? i do remember that i got a pack of '89 topps once and was disappointed that the only sox i got were he and shawn hillegas, the two ultimate studs of the sox late 80's pitching staff.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Didn't Beltre have a funky batting helmet with the guard going across or I am thinking of someone else?

Huisj
01-20-2003, 08:32 PM
i think the funky helmet was norberto martin. i think he hit a pinch hit homer on opening day in toronto once. that's about the only thing i remember about him. why'd they call him paco?

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Now I remember the "Paco" part of it. I just cannot remember who is who! You may be right. A skinny little dude, wasn't he?

pissonthecubs
01-20-2003, 08:42 PM
to bring back more names from the past, how about two of my favorite players: Dan Pasqua and Matt Merillo. i will have to say Pasqua was one of my favorite players when i was younger and started really following the Sox. I was going through a stack of Sox baseball cards just a few days ago and ran across the sought after card of Matt Merillo. so there are a couple of names for you.

TornLabrum
01-20-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1

esteban beltre
donn pall
greg hibbard
kenny "mullet" Patterson
Shawn Abner

Just seein if anyone remebers much about thee guys

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

I remember a lot about Donn Pall. Very consistent in his years in the Sox pen. WCSF members will be able to view an interview I had with him in their next newsletter, and I believe he's also consented to do an interview with Lip in the near future.

Huisj
01-20-2003, 08:47 PM
but you're all forgetting the best lefty stopper of the pen ever-- Larry Thomas.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
i think the funky helmet was norberto martin. i think he hit a pinch hit homer on opening day in toronto once. that's about the only thing i remember about him. why'd they call him paco?

paco martin was a fav of mine. i think at the young age i liked his name norberto. he wore # 7, and did hit that homer.

WinningUgly!
01-20-2003, 08:52 PM

esteban beltre
donn pall
greg hibbard
kenny "mullet" Patterson
Shawn Abner

Ken Patterson was sent to the Northside along with Sosa in the George Bell deal, if I remember correctly.

Greg Hibbard..."the Little Bulldog"

Melido Perez (brother of Pasquel Perez, 1st cousin to Odalis) went from having the best stuff in the league in one start, to the worst in the next one. If he ever made it out of the 1st inning, he usually had a pretty decent game, but that didn't happen often enough. Remember his rain-shortened, 5 inning no hitter?

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-20-2003, 09:08 PM
but you're all forgetting the best lefty stopper of the pen ever-- Larry Thomas.

and the trade of him brought us another great one benji gill. what a great pickup

TornLabrum
01-20-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
Ken Patterson was sent to the Northside along with Sosa in the George Bell deal, if I remember correctly.

Greg Hibbard..."the Little Bulldog"

Melido Perez (brother of Pasquel Perez, 1st cousin to Odalis) went from having the best stuff in the league in one start, to the worst in the next one. If he ever made it out of the 1st inning, he usually had a pretty decent game, but that didn't happen often enough. Remember his rain-shortened, 5 inning no hitter?

I remember going to a bunch of games with my son that Perez pitched in. We used to always ponder whether it would be Good Melido or Bad Melido on the mound.

Hibbard, btw, is now the pitching coach of the Joliet Jackhammers in the Northern League. Or at least he was in 2002. I haven't checked to see if he's been rehired.

Daver
01-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I remember going to a bunch of games with my son that Perez pitched in. We used to always ponder whether it would be Good Melido or Bad Melido on the mound.

Hibbard, btw, is now the pitching coach of the Joliet Jackhammers in the Northern League. Or at least he was in 2002. I haven't checked to see if he's been rehired.

The Jackhammers haven't contacted me to say he isn't Hal,if that helps.

mike squires
01-20-2003, 09:58 PM
I remember going to a game early in perez' career. My brother and I were trying to get his autograph. Melindo, Melindo. Finally a kid said...It's Melido. He signed anyway.

Went to a Sox/Oakland game where merrulo had a late inning hit that scored the eventual game winning run. Canseco hit a homerun to put Oakland ahead...he had his arms up in the air with his hands clasped together as if showing off his muscles. The crowed bood the hell out of him.

HootieMcBoob
01-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Gene Honda:

"Now batting for the White Sox, number 24...Warren Neeeeeeeeeeeewson!!!!!!!!"

:gulp:

pearso66
01-20-2003, 11:02 PM
some of these names are classic. I can remember watching just about all of them play. I'd have to say another good one was Mike "Spanky" Lavalier (sp?). and of course the Little Hurt, Craig Graibek (sp?). although i enjoyed watching him play

MarkEdward
01-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Gene Honda:

"Now batting for the White Sox, number 24...Warren Neeeeeeeeeeeewson!!!!!!!!"

:gulp:

Very underrated player. Too bad he never got more than 200 at-bats in a season.

rmusacch
01-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
to bring back more names from the past, how about two of my favorite players: Dan Pasqua and Matt Merillo. i will have to say Pasqua was one of my favorite players when i was younger and started really following the Sox. I was going through a stack of Sox baseball cards just a few days ago and ran across the sought after card of Matt Merillo. so there are a couple of names for you.

Dan Pasqua was also one of my favorite players.

rmusacch
01-20-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by daver
The Jackhammers haven't contacted me to say he isn't Hal,if that helps.

Excuse my ignorance but why would the Jackhammers contact you?

ssang
01-20-2003, 11:47 PM
One guy comes to mind...............DAVE GHALAGER. He was a solid rookie in '88 I beleive. Who else remembers him?

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Couple of Points:

I thank God that I took the time and saved and then edited the hours and hours of video on the Sox from 1990 through 1994. To be able to go back and see the edited highlights of these guys is a real pleasure. It was a pain in the rear to have to collect and transfer all of the nightly feeds in the newsroom but I'm glad I did it. The memories are incredible.

Torn Labrum is correct, Donn will be the Q & A guest for March. The Pope had a hell of a curve ball and was a big part of the outstanding Sox bullpens in the early 90's. He's now a financial consultant. Sox fans used to love him because as someone who grew up on the Soth Side and idolized the Sox, he never minced words about his disdain for the Cubs.

Ken Patterson was also a solid part of that bullpen.

Look up the numbers for Greg Hibbard. He was a consistent double figure winner for the Sox, kept them in games and in fact was a gutsy pitcher. The game the Sox were no hit by Andy Hawkins and WON (July 1, 1990), Hibbard also was throwing a no hitter at the Yanks for the first five innings. Fans thought they were going to be witness to perhaps the greatest pitching performance ever in a single game by two guys.

Terry Leach had an ERA of under TWO with the Sox and was an incredible pick up from the Twins until he hurt his arm. That sidearm style was tough on hitters.

Melido Perez was far from "horrible", consistent double figures winner, struck out a lot of guys, had a hell of a split finger pitch and when moved to the bullpen in 92 was very effective before getting traded in the Sax deal. Also threw a rain shortened no hitter against the Yankees in 1990. (6 innings) A bit of a flake (must run in the family!) started the last home opener at Old Comiskey Park and beat the Brewers 2-1 in 1990.

Shawn Abner was a nice pick up in 92 only because of the fact that the Sox were stacked in 93 did he not return. Played very hard, good defensive outfielder and had a lot of speed.

Lip

pudge
01-21-2003, 01:19 AM
Okay, here's one for ya: Russ Morman.

mike squires
01-21-2003, 08:07 AM
I went to a game in '89 against detroit, Keep in mind Mormon didn't get to start too many games. First play of the game the ump calls a runner safe claiming he took his foot off the bag. Mormon went nuts cursing out the ump. He got the ol' heave ho. It's funny, I watched the tape and you can hear what he is saying. I left my house in Indiana that morning to 80 degree temperature. the clouds came and I swear the temp was near 50. I had to spend 40 bucks on a new hooded sweatshirt. My legs froze. Sox lost again.

Bobby Thigpen
01-21-2003, 09:20 AM
I don't think anyone annoyed my dad or me any more than Melido Perez except for maybe Scotty Fletcher. I remember we were in our car when we heard that the Sox had traded Harold for Scotty Fletcher and some idiot named Sammy Sosa. My dad almost jerked the car into an embankment. I don't think he's ever been as mad as the Sox since or even before. Great memories.

Warren Newson I agree could've been pretty good if you could've kept him away from walls. :smile:

Philzer
01-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Donn Pall was a very respectable reliever (played at Evergreen Park H.S. in the 80s).

Dave Gallagher had the absolutley worst set of whitewall sideburns ever seen. When I think of those Sox uniforms with the "Campbell Soup C's" from the late 80s, I think of him.

Dan Pasqua hit some of the longest moonshots I've ever seen. He also got busted for sending pot to himself through UPS. High comedy!

DustyIsOverated1
01-21-2003, 09:59 AM
What about Dave Martinez? I looked at him like I looked at Maggs a couple years ago, a true born superstar. He wasn't involved on the receiving end of White Flag was he?

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 10:10 AM
In the late '80s, a group of about 10 to 15 of my cousins, aunts and uncles and I used to go to virtually every Sox weekend home game together. On at least 2 or 3 Saturday night gamess, we arrived late (we would meet at a bar in Bridgeport first, so we frequently arrived a few minutes late) to find that the Sox were down by 7 or 8 runs after Melido got bombed in the first or second inning. It became a running joke in the family - we swore off Saturday games in which Perez was pitching.

Larry Thomas will always be a favorite of mine because he dominated the Cubs in a Windy City Classic I attended at Wrigley.

Fisk72
01-21-2003, 12:06 PM
I remember seeing Carlos Martinez at the plate and he was always moving around. I seriously thought he was completely made out of elastic or rubber. Kinda like Stretch Armstrong I guess. I thought Pasqua was a stud, too. I remember one time we needed a homer to win the game and he came up and jacked it either ontop of the roof or in the upper deck.

ozzman
01-21-2003, 01:08 PM
I remember way back in the day. I went to the game with my grandpa and after the game I asked ozzie guillen for an autograph. he was signing and Jose DeLeon and Fred Manrique pull up in their car to give him a ride. Theyre calling him because they are holding up traffic, but Ozzie wasnt finished signing for me, so he says, come with me for a second. I looked back at my grandpa and he said it was ok. I get in their car and did a few laps around the old park with em as they signed my ball and talked to me. That was a really cool experience for a 6-7 year old

Another time I was at a game in 1988 i believe. All dressed up in my sox hat and I was down above the dugout asking for autographs. Some guy on the field is like, can I take your picture, blah blah blah. I said ok and thought nothing of it. A few months later my friends (who were season ticket holders) said they saw my picture in the booklet they send out to the season ticket holders with the different rate plans. So if anyone has one of these for the 1989 season, a picture of me is in there! :)

VeeckAsInWreck
01-21-2003, 01:38 PM
These were other candidates to take over at catcher for ol' #72, and to back up Ron Karkovice.

Don Wakamatsu _ I think he was Hawaiian??

Matt Stark

As far as other players are concerned. Here are a few others I remember.

Tim Fortugno

Joe Hall

Jeff Schwartz

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
These were other candidates to take over at catcher for ol' #72, and to back up Ron Karkovice.

Matt Stark

As far as other players are concerned. Here are a few others I remember.

Tim Fortugno

Joe Hall

Jeff Schwartz

mike bertotti
marvin freemen
bob zupsick (sp)
craig wilson
tony castillo
joe davenport

Huisj
01-21-2003, 04:54 PM
luis andujar

MisterB
01-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Born in Oregon, raised in Hayward, CA (where I currently live). Didn't know it until I ate at the local Chili's and they had newspaper clippings and such on their wall of local sports 'heroes'.

More names from Sox past:

Brian Keyser

Scott Hemond

Billy Joe Robidoux

Barry Jones

hold2dibber
01-21-2003, 05:20 PM
How about:

Salome Barojas
Larren LeGrew (sp?)
Alan Bannister
Lyle Mouton
Ken Kravec

DirtySouthsider
01-21-2003, 09:01 PM
How about Bob James! Everytime he came into a game he looked like he needed a shower!
Does anyone remember Al Jones? He was a relief pitcher back in the mid-80's?
I had an argument with a friend recently abouit whether he existed or not. So I had to pull out his card and prove him wrong!

Huisj
01-21-2003, 09:34 PM
Didn't we have dennis cook for a short time in the mid 90's? i remember hearing about him them and thinking "geez he's old, why do the sox need him?" and he's still around. like someone posted in the parque thread, when you're left handed, you can pitch forever.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Cook was part of that terriffic Sox bullpen in 94.

James held the record for most saves in a season with 35 in 85. He and Tony Bernazard were stolen from Montreal by then GM Roland Hemond.

You want some names? fine here you go.....

Bill Almon
Duane Josephson
Dave DeBusschere (yes the NBA star!)
John "Pineapple" Matias
Syd O' Brien
Randy Martz
Steve Mura
Wayne Causey
Joe DeSa
Jeff Darwin (brother of Danny)

That ought to give you something to chew on.

Lip

mike squires
01-21-2003, 09:51 PM
DeSA was killed in an automobile accident awhile back.

I went to 3 Indianapolis Indian games in consecutive years and Mouton hit a homerun in each of them. I always thought he'd be a star

Joel Perez
01-21-2003, 10:21 PM

esteban beltre
donn pall
greg hibbard
kenny "mullet" Patterson
Shawn Abner

Hmmm....let's see:

Esteban--yep, got his 1992 Score rookie card. Utility player who couldn't hit, much less field.

Pall--The Pope! Chicago's very own! Good middle relief guy...didn't he close a few games for the Sox in 93?

Hibbard--The Little Bulldog that could, until he blew out his arm.

Leach--Good veteran submariner in the 90s.

Patterson--Started off rocky in the late 80s, but became effective for a couple of years in the early 90s...a lefty.

Melido Perez--now, this guy was my favorite Sox player in the 80s, just because he and I shared the same last name. Go figure. Every time he pitched, I ran to read the sports section in the Houston Chronicle, just to see how he did. Unfortunately, "all good things have to come to an end." :whiner: Good arm, but his fastball was straight. Didn't he have a problem about being relegated to the pen in the 90s?

Abner--Lil' Abner...Hawk was high on him when the Sox got him. #1 Overall Draft Pick in 84, right?

Whatever happened to "One Dog", arguably the Sox's best CF ever?

fuzzy_patters
01-21-2003, 10:30 PM
John Cangelosi
Mike Huff
Phil Bradley
Brian Drahman
Joe Hall
Atlee Hammaker
Paul Assenmacher
Neil Allen
Steve Carlton (yes, that Steve Carlton)
Bobby Bonilla (yes, him too)
Larry Casian
Joe Cowley
Nelson Cruz
Pat Daneker
Joe Davenport
Shawn Hillegas
Dave LaPoint
Psycho Lyons
Isidro Marquez
Jerry Reuss
Chad Fonville

One thing I've noticed that is kind of funny is that you can tell how old people are by the players they named. Paco Martin, for example, seems like very recent history for me. I can remember watching him homer in the 10th inning on opening day 1997 with my college roommate. Yet, too others, he is a fond remembrance of when they were small. Just thought I would share that thought with you guys.

Joel Perez
01-21-2003, 10:36 PM
OH GOD! This turned out to be "Who is the Biggest Sox Geek of All Time?!?!?!?" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHHHH :gulp:

I'll try half--Cangelosi, great '86 year with 50 SBs, but he could never hit. Better known for his Pitt days.

Huff, Fonville--speedy utility guys that came from the Dodger organ-i-zation.

Bradley--from the Ms, no?

Drahman, Daneker, Davenport--three of the "Can't Miss/Darkhorse" Prospects from the 80s (Drahman) and 2000s.

Others...forgedaboudit....I need a drink.

TornLabrum
01-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by ssang
One guy comes to mind...............DAVE GHALAGER. He was a solid rookie in '88 I beleive. Who else remembers him?

One of the first games I took my son to, Gallagher hit one into the first row in left field. He still remembers that homer.

Brian26
01-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Question about Randy Martz and Steve Mura:

I think both of these guys were on the Sox 40-man roster in 83, but I'm almost sure neither of them pitched. Didn't Mura have some really solid seasons with the Padres before he got injured, and then the Sox picked him up? And Martz, I think, came over from the Cubs in that insane bribery deal involving not stealing Fergie Jenkins. Wasn't it like Martz, Fletcher, Lamp, Tidrow and cash for Trout and Warren Brusstar...if the Sox promised not to pick Fergie Jenkins off the Cubs unprotected roster after the Sox lost Steve Kemp to free agency and won a compesation pick? I remember reading part of that in "Who's On 3rd". I always hoped Mura and Martz would come around and help out in the #4 and #5 spots in the Sox rotation, but it never quite happened.

How about some other names:

Jim Kern
Sparky Lyle
Bob Fallon
Ron Hassey
Tim Hullet
Jerry Don Gleaton
Dave Stegman
Eric King
Eddie Williams (remember this guy the season before Robin arrived?)
Mike Squires (did he really play third base in a game?)
Rodney McCray (he went through the wall, not the Deacon)
Adam Peterson
Steve Rosenberg
Gene Nelson! (long-relief specialist)
Dave Schmidt (from the Hawk GM Era)
Dan Spillner
Bert Roberge

fuzzy_patters
01-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Jim Kern
Sparky Lyle
Bob Fallon
Ron Hassey
Tim Hullet
Jerry Don Gleaton
Dave Stegman
Eric King
Eddie Williams (remember this guy the season before Robin arrived?)
Mike Squires (did he really play third base in a game?)
Rodney McCray (he went through the wall, not the Deacon)
Adam Peterson
Steve Rosenberg
Gene Nelson! (long-relief specialist)
Dave Schmidt (from the Hawk GM Era)
Dan Spillner
Bert Roberge

I remember some of these guys.

Hulett played second and third in the late 80s.

Jerrey Don Gleaton was a middle relief pitcher? I'm not sure on that one.

Eric King was a pitcher I always liked. I can't believe I forgot about him. He was an excellent pitcher for the Sox in 1990. That staff was underrated with King, Hibbard, McDowell, Perez, and I believe Fernandez came up during the season.

34rancher
01-21-2003, 11:09 PM
Tidbits:
Don Pall- One of my favorite Sox guys in the early 90's. When I worked at a community college in the south side, Donn was a friend of the baseball coach. I remember how excited I was for him to sign my cards of him. The funniest thing was that the coach called me DP for the rest of the summer since he thought I looked like him.

Dan Pasqua- Remember the Winston sign? :-)

Dave Gallagher- I just remember the "stride right". Remember he invented a batting tool that looked like shackles around the ankles?

Hibbard- The little bulldog, wasn't he helping Kitty a while back with the Schaumburg Flyers?

These other names are awesome. Next thing you know, we are going to bust out the Rudy Law and Vance Law combo, or Greg Walker, or Floyd Bannister, or anyone else off that '83 team.....ahhhhhhhhh Julio Cruz.

You have to love the Deacon's name being thrown around too (Warren Newsome). This has just turned into an awesome 80's / 90's thread. My brain hurts. :-)

mike squires
01-21-2003, 11:11 PM
Spanky, Mike Squires actually played every position for the Sox including catcher which is very unusual considering he was a lefty. He raised the banner for them after the 83 season. I wish they would have kept him in the organization. Not much of a bat but clutch at times and good with the glove.

Got Mcrays autograph.

Got a great pic of Bobby Bonilla his rookie year in '86. He was signing autographs and I called his name. He gave me a thug like look "posing" he's only a few inches from my camera.

nixsox
01-21-2003, 11:28 PM
How about those great mid 9o's aquisitions of John Kruk and Chris Sabo. That 95 team was pretty depressing and I think those guys were on it.

Huisj
01-22-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
John Cangelosi
Mike Huff
Phil Bradley
Brian Drahman
Joe Hall
Atlee Hammaker
Paul Assenmacher
Neil Allen
Steve Carlton (yes, that Steve Carlton)
Bobby Bonilla (yes, him too)
Larry Casian
Joe Cowley
Nelson Cruz
Pat Daneker
Joe Davenport
Shawn Hillegas
Dave LaPoint
Psycho Lyons
Isidro Marquez
Jerry Reuss
Chad Fonville

I've actually got a mike huff card somewhere, weird the baseball cards you remember having.

Remember that sox also gave cangelosi one of his last shots many years after he was with them originally--i think it was in '99 (but maybe '98, i can't remember) they invited he and darrin jackson to spring training to fight for the utility outfielder spot. not sure i've heard him mentioned since then.

I was thinking bradely came from baltimore before he was with the sox actually, but i could be wrong. my older sister got real mad once because she had gotten lance johnson's autograph (so she was a huge fan of his immediately) and in the nexy game we went to, they played bradley instead of him, and she was pissed.

Drahman was another of the string of interchangeable blah pitchers in the 90s i believe, but maybe a little earlier. how long did he stick around?

I actually also believe i have a hammaker card from his brief and forgettable stint with the sox. crazy.

i didn't like the sox having assenmacher. i always thought of him as a cub after he was with the cubs for a while.

bonilla came up with the sox, didn't he? and then they traded him and then he got good. didn't that happen with two pitchers we recently traded to pittsburgh too? hmmm

i always kind of liked cruz for some reason. his fastball moved a lot, but he never got a chance before he was shipped out. and now he's a decent pitcher.

larry casian started a game or two in like '97 (maybe i'm off by a year or two) for the sox i think? i remember listening to one of them on the radio and thinking who the heck is this guy?

i watched daneker's first start on tv. everyone thought he would be the new greg maddux. he was somewhat impressive actually. and then it turned out he wasn't the next greg maddux.

i like davenport's sinking fastball, but apparently so did hitters. he ended up in colorado and then somewhere else i can't remember. every once in a while you'll see his name pop up if you check transaction on cbs or mlb.

i hated shawn hillegas as a kid. i don't know why. maybe because my dad would always listen to games on the radio and he'd come in a stink, and my dad would get mad, and so would i. he was teaching me how to be a frustrated fan as a youngster already.

and who can forget lyons pulling down his pants. but i can also remember him screwing up bigtime in the field on opening day in '89 by catching a pop up and letting a guy tag up from second while he held the ball and ran around like a doofus (wait he was, er, still is a doofus).

fonville was part of a trade, wasn't he? he wasn't the lost part of the white flag trade was he? we got some little outfielder that never did anything in that trade i think. there were 6 guys--howry, foulke, caruso, barcelo, the lefty guy who never got a chance but always pitched good in the minors (darn it, can't think of his name), and and outfielder. was that him?

how about carlos martinez? i mostly just remember him being big and clumsy and running over fisk on a foul pop up once.
another carlos--castillo. that's a recent one, wow was he big. as was ramon garcia--same pitcher, just a few years earlier.

and another recent one, one of our relief pitching prospects who was terrible and always hurt--david lundquist.

or how about tom fordham and todd rizzo, two stud lefties who threw about 2 total strikes between them their entire stints in the big leagues?

and then there's the best catcher in sox history, pat borders. we had him for a year i think.

and we had alan levine for a bit when he was bad, but then he went to anaheim and became decent.

even jeff shaw was on the sox for a little while.

man, this is the best thread ever i think. i'm having a blast here (even if i am young and only remember back to the late 80's) :smile:

Huisj
01-22-2003, 12:23 AM
shoot, i just remembered one of harrelson's favorite names to say:

lou frazier

VeeckAsInWreck
01-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by nixsox
How about those great mid 9o's aquisitions of John Kruk and Chris Sabo. That 95 team was pretty depressing and I think those guys were on it.

The 1995 White Sox have to be my least favorite team. (I smell a new thread !)

No, but that team was absolutely horrible. Frank and Robin had decent years but that was about it. That year Gene Lamont was fired and replaced by (shivering to write it) Terry Bevington. We had guys like:
Chris Sabo
John Kruk
Mike Devereaux
Dave Martinez
Rob Dibble
Dave Righetti
and here's one you guys might remember.....
Chris Snopek, In 1996 he became the last Sox SS to bat cleanup. That move alone proves how bad we were when Snopek was "protecting" the Big Hurt in the lineup.

That was a loooong year. The Indians beat the crap out of us that year. However I seem to remember the "Turn Back The Clock" game that was supposed to be played in '94 but was made up that year. It was against the Yankees and John Kruk hit a grand slam in the first inning. Awww the flashbacks. Time to drown them and hope they never resurface! :gulp:

jcw218
01-22-2003, 01:23 AM
Speaking of flashbacks, how about Chet Lemon atempting to catch a fly ball and having it bounce off the top of his head for I believe a home run.

mike squires
01-22-2003, 08:17 AM
Bevington was a dork, but I'll never forget him in the big brawl against Phil Garner along the third base side. It looked like he really wanted to kill him.

hold2dibber
01-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by jcw218
Speaking of flashbacks, how about Chet Lemon atempting to catch a fly ball and having it bounce off the top of his head for I believe a home run.

I'm pretty sure that was Ron LeFlour (sp?), not Lemon. I remember after the game when reporters were asking him about the ball hitting him in the head, he got truly pissed off because, as he said, "It didn't hit my head, it hit my hat!"

harwar
01-22-2003, 08:55 AM
I used to take the bus when i was 12 or 13 to White Sox Park.My very first date was a Sox game that we took a bus to see when i was 14.I used kennedy half dollars to pay(wish i had kept them now).I remember Ken Berry making great catches over that little wall in center field,and Carlos May tripping over the seam of that horrible infield astro-turf.

Bobby Thigpen
01-22-2003, 09:33 AM
VeeckAsInWreck, was that the same game Robin hit a three run homer out to right and they gave out those Leinenkugel's Sox hats. If its the same game I'm remembering it was a great game for the Sox. I think the Sox won something like 11-1 or 7-1. It was also the first Sox game I got to see live. One of my biggest memories of that game was sitting down by the foul pole in right and watching some guy get kicked out of the stadium after he threw a little baggie of white stuff at Steve Howe. The fans were pretty brutal to him that day. But still one of the great days in my personal Sox history.

fuzzy_patters
01-22-2003, 11:33 AM
i watched daneker's first start on tv. everyone thought he would be the new greg maddux. he was somewhat impressive actually. and then it turned out he wasn't the next greg maddux.

I was at Daneker's first start. It was 1999. He had a pretty good curveball and pitched well that day. The Sox came from behind to beat KC on a bases clearing double by Maggs in the bottom of the ninth.

I was thinking bradely came from baltimore before he was with the sox actually, but i could be wrong. my older sister got real mad once because she had gotten lance johnson's autograph (so she was a huge fan of his immediately) and in the nexy game we went to, they played bradley instead of him, and she was pissed.

You are correct. Phil Bradley came over in a trade from Baltimore in mid 1990 (July?). Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of the trade.

bonilla came up with the sox, didn't he? and then they traded him and then he got good. didn't that happen with two pitchers we recently traded to pittsburgh too? hmmm

I think Bonilla came to the Sox in a deal that involved a player to be named. I think the deal stated that if Bonilla didn't play a certain amount he would be sent back as the player to be named, and the Sox would get back the pitcher they traded for him (Jose DeLeon?). Of course, the Sox decided to send him back. It's tough to remember exactly since I was only eight years old, but I believe I remember hearing that it went something like this. Tough to understand to an eight year old.

nixsox
01-22-2003, 12:16 PM
Here's a few more long lost players

Steve Rosenberg
Shawn Hillegas
Donnie Hill
Kevin Bell
Royle Stillman
Jerry Don Gleaton
Chris Knapp
Jack Kucek
Wayne Edwards
Ron Blomberg

Brian26
01-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
You are correct. Phil Bradley came over in a trade from Baltimore in mid 1990 (July?). Unfortunately, I don't remember the details of the trade.

I think we traded Ron Kittle that summer to Baltimore for Bradley.

Tragg
01-22-2003, 01:32 PM

Melido Perez wasn't horrible. He was an important piece in the rebirth of the Sox in the early 1990s and threw a no-hitter for us.

mike squires
01-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I think we traded Ron Kittle that summer to Baltimore for Bradley.

When did Kittle make his brief return for the Sox? He actually did pretty decent for us nailing a few dingers. 91? I think he played some first base at that time.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
VeeckAsInWreck, was that the same game Robin hit a three run homer out to right and they gave out those Leinenkugel's Sox hats. If its the same game I'm remembering it was a great game for the Sox. I think the Sox won something like 11-1 or 7-1. It was also the first Sox game I got to see live. One of my biggest memories of that game was sitting down by the foul pole in right and watching some guy get kicked out of the stadium after he threw a little baggie of white stuff at Steve Howe. The fans were pretty brutal to him that day. But still one of the great days in my personal Sox history.

Yup, that was the game. The giveaway was a 1964 replica hat by Leinenkugel. Kruk hit a slam in the first and Robin hit a three run shot of Yankee reliever Bob McDonald (I don't know why I remember that). Da Sox kicked some Yankee ass that night.
That night was really crazy, it was 1964 ticket prices and as you would all expect, it was the biggest crowd after the strike. That would be one of the high points of the season, However I also remember a brawl with the Brewers where Rob Dibble beaned Pat Listach and both benches cleared. Aww the awful memories! :(: .......... :gulp: ..... :smile: what was I talking about?

voodoochile
01-22-2003, 03:05 PM
I don't think I've seen his name mentioned yet, and he was one of my favorite short-timers...

Charlie Hough...

Wasn't he like 44? That 53 MPH knuckler of his...

MisterB
01-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Melido Perez wasn't horrible. He was an important piece in the rebirth of the Sox in the early 1990s and threw a no-hitter for us.

Melido ran hot and cold - EXTREMELY hot and cold. I remember during a game the announcers brought up the stats that in games he won he averaged 7+ innings with an ERA of about 2.50 and in games he lost it was something on the order of 2+ ip and an ERA of 15.00+. He was either unhittable or serving up fat ones.

Originally posted by mike squires
When did Kittle make his brief return for the Sox? He actually did pretty decent for us nailing a few dingers. 91? I think he played some first base at that time.

That would be '90. Split DH duties with Dan Pasqua mostly but played some 1B as well. He was 2nd on the team in HR's that year (16 to Pudge's 18) despite only 277 ab's. Got traded for Phil Bradley because the Sox brought up some no-name 1B prospect named Thomas (and because they couldn't foist Carlos Martinez on anyone.)

WillieHarris12
01-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
I remember a lot about Donn Pall. Very consistent in his years in the Sox pen. WCSF members will be able to view an interview I had with him in their next newsletter, and I believe he's also consented to do an interview with Lip in the near future.

Donn Pall is a personal friend of my Dad and I. He is giving me pitching lessons this weekend. :)

LuvSox
01-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Am I the only other person that remembers Matt Merullo? Decent catcher, horrible bat. Had a lifetime avg. around.220. I got his autograph at a show, he was just a hair nicer than Mike Huff, if that means anything. The nicest pale hose I ever met? Maybe Sandy Alomar. Actually Flash Gordon is pretty cool too, should be better now in a Sox uni.

Huisj
01-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
Actually Flash Gordon is pretty cool too, should be better now in a Sox uni.

Even if he's cool, I still can't stand his spin around and point to heaven when he strikes a guy out, even if the previous 4 hitters hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs.

WinningUgly!
01-22-2003, 10:55 PM

Kittle came back to the Sox in '89 as a part time player in the '89 & '90 seasons, before being dealt to Baltimore at the end of the 1990 season.

He returned again in '91 for 17 games. He had 11 HR in '89, 16 in '90 & 2 in '91.

You're right, much of his playing time was at 1B. In his 151 games with the Sox, from 1989-91, 71 games as DH/67 games at 1B/5 in OF.

VeeckAsInWreck
01-22-2003, 11:19 PM
Kittle also has the distinction of being the last player to hit one on the roof at the Old Park. He did it on April 17, 1990 off Red Sox reliever Rob Murphy.

Saracen
01-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Here in Dallas, the local sports radio station (The Ticket) had a tongue in cheek "Esteban Beltre Report" daily when he was traded here.

It had its own theme music & an over-dramatic announcer saying something like: "Last night, the awe-inspiring Esteban had a sterling 1-4 effort, with a mighty infield single and 3 powerful foul-outs. Join us tomorrow when we bring you another episode of the Esteban Beltre Report"

It was funny stuff.

LuvSox
01-23-2003, 09:50 AM
Even if he's cool, I still can't stand his spin around and point to heaven when he strikes a guy out, even if the previous 4 hitters hit back-to-back-to-back-to-back home runs. I guess he's gotta be thankful for something at that point!

LuvSox
01-23-2003, 10:04 AM
I met Steve Trout a few years back in a golf shop in Indiana. I believe he lived in the area at the time. Looked like the was enjoying life outside of baseball. He had quite the beer belly working.

TornLabrum
01-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Trout just plain enjoys life, I think, with all that it has to offer a single ex-jock.

shbart
01-27-2003, 08:19 PM
One of my favs from that period was Jeff Bitiger. He was the Cy Young of Triple A, but never could make a dent in the majors.

ThisIsTheYear
01-28-2003, 07:05 PM
As far as names go, look no further than Rusty Kuntz. He played like his name implies. That name made me laugh twenty years ago and it still makes me chuckle today.

And don't even bring up Bonilla, who we traded for Jose DeLeon in 1986, even though he lost 19 games the previous year. I still wonder what they were thinking when they made that deal.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Pat daneker is on the south jersey river dogs.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Pat daneker is on the south jersey river dogs.

so is todd rizzo.

Paulwny
01-29-2003, 11:14 AM
DeSA was killed in an automobile accident awhile back.

I went to 3 Indianapolis Indian games in consecutive years and Mouton hit a homerun in each of them. I always thought he'd be a star

Among others I watched DeSa play here when Buffalo was a sox farm team. I often wondered back then, what sox fans in Chi. thought of this power HR hitter. The stadium, the one used in "The Natural, was a converted football stadium. De Sa was a left handed hitter and the rf ~30ft wall/screen was ~ 270 ft from the plate. Most of his pop-up HR's wouldn't have made the warning track at Comiskey.
I also thought Mouton would be a good to great player.
Minor league numbers can be misleading.