PDA

View Full Version : Beware of "The Grobber"


DirtySouthsider
01-20-2003, 12:25 PM
I caught Grobstein's radio Saturday morning and of course he was bashing the Sox. He believes they still won't make the playoffs because of their "pitiful" defense. He said they still are not as good as the twins and there is no way a wild-card will come out of the Central.

So we will just have to wait and see if he is singing the same tune when he comes to pays us a visit on here!!! :angry:

voodoochile
01-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I caught Grobstein's radio Saturday morning and of course he was bashing the Sox. He believes they still won't make the playoffs because of their "pitiful" defense. He said they still are not as good as the twins and there is no way a wild-card will come out of the Central.

So we will just have to wait and see if he is singing the same tune when he comes to pays us a visit on here!!! :angry:

Feel free to submit a question. There are plenty of slots left...

DrCrawdad
01-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I caught Grobstein's radio Saturday morning and of course he was bashing the Sox. He believes they still won't make the playoffs because of their "pitiful" defense. He said they still are not as good as the twins and there is no way a wild-card will come out of the Central.

So we will just have to wait and see if he is singing the same tune when he comes to pays us a visit on here!!! :angry:

http://www.networkirc.com/grobber/images/les1000sm.jpg

In all of MLB, here's how the Sox ranked in various defensive stats. The Sox so-called "pitiful defense":

11. FP (Cubs #23)
10. E's (Cubs #21, Minnesota was #1)
3. ZR (Cubs #19)
28. PO (Cubs #18)
26. TC (Cubs #28)
23. RF (Cubs #28)

I don't claim to be an expert in defensive stats, but that doesn't appear to be "pitiful" to me. Les is welcome to his opinion, but on what is he basing this?

- DrCrawdad.

kermittheefrog
01-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Crawdad you know a guy like Grobstein doesn't base his opinions on silly things like statistics. He's friggin reputable!

But seriously on paper the Sox D looks good. A pretty solid way of evaluating team D is looking at the percentage of balls in play that the D turns into outs, Bill James calls it defensive efficiency. Like any defensive evaluation tool it's not perfect but it makes sense. The Sox look good in DE. At worst our defense is mediocre and won't hurt us.

Vsahajpal
01-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
http://www.networkirc.com/grobber/images/les1000sm.jpg

In all of MLB, here's how the Sox ranked in various defensive stats. The Sox so-called "pitiful defense":

11. FP (Cubs #23)
10. E's (Cubs #21, Minnesota was #1)
3. ZR (Cubs #19)
28. PO (Cubs #18)
26. TC (Cubs #28)
23. RF (Cubs #28)

I don't claim to be an expert in defensive stats, but that doesn't appear to be "pitiful" to me. Les is welcome to his opinion, but on what is he basing this?

- DrCrawdad.

What the hell do the Cubs have to do with this?

Anyways, obviously ZR, PO, TC, and RF would be greatly skewed by the fact that the Cubs dominated the majors with strikeouts...and they had Fred McGriff!

soxtalker
01-20-2003, 02:30 PM
I didn't hear the show, but I guess that I have a different take on this. I don't at all mind him saying that we have a pitiful defense and need to improve if we want to beat the Twins. In part, I welcome a discussion that keeps us from being labeled the favorite going into the season; let the Twins bear that burden. However, I also want to see us improve in any way possible.

My impression is that we've been fairly weak in defense for several years. Championship teams usually have good defenses. Could we win one with a mediocre defense? Well, maybe, but I'd sure prefer to see an improvement here to give us a better shot. (And, no, that doesn't mean we have to settle for players like Choice.)

Are we better than the Cubs? Probably, but while most of us consider them to be one of our chief competitors, that's largely because we know lots of their fans. They aren't one of the teams that have been contenders and aren't a terribly good measuring stick.

(By the way, Crawdad, can you post the link for the statistics you gave? It sounds like a useful site that I'd like to return to over the season.)

34 Inch Stick
01-20-2003, 03:04 PM
I listened for a couple of minutes. Les was so proud of himself that he can once again go to another Super Bowl and mooch free stuff for a week. Sports journalists are notoriously cheap and the Grobber is famous among that group.

Grobber is the ultimate sports nerd. He knows trivia, but his opinions are not that well supported.

DrCrawdad
01-20-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
What the hell do the Cubs have to do with this?

Anyways, obviously ZR, PO, TC, and RF would be greatly skewed by the fact that the Cubs dominated the majors with strikeouts...and they had Fred McGriff!

When Les Grobstein is taking shots at the Sox the Cubs clearly factor in. If Grobber says the Sox defense stinks, well that's the pot...

I know you love to mention the Cubs K's, and thereby excuse the Cubs defense, but yours and Grobbers 'beloved' committed more errors than the Sox, and also had a lower fielding percentage.

Maybe Cubs pitchers should allow more hitters to connect to keep their defense alert.

BTW the Cubs "dominated" MLB in strikeouts on pitching (with 30 more K's than the D-Backs) and hitting. The World Series Champion Angels finished 20th in team pitching K's.

Last time I checked McGriff was only one of nine fielders.

- DrCrawdad.

DrCrawdad
01-20-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
...(By the way, Crawdad, can you post the link for the statistics you gave? It sounds like a useful site that I'd like to return to over the season.)

HERE YOU GO. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/statistics)

Daver
01-20-2003, 08:18 PM
If you have a problem with Les,or a criticism,send an e-mail to the address in the chat thread,and let your opinion be known to all,including Les himself.

There is nothing that says you have to agree with his opinion,or that you can't question his opinion,this is an open Q+A,let it fly.

TornLabrum
01-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by daver
If you have a problem with Les,or a criticism,send an e-mail to the address in the chat thread,and let your opinion be known to all,including Les himself.

There is nothing that says you have to agree with his opinion,or that you can't question his opinion,this is an open Q+A,let it fly.

All I want to know is how he felt being between Steve Dahl and Larry Lujack when they went at it on the air that one day at WLS.

Vsahajpal
01-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
When Les Grobstein is taking shots at the Sox the Cubs clearly factor in. If Grobber says the Sox defense stinks, well that's the pot...

I know you love to mention the Cubs K's, and thereby excuse the Cubs defense, but yours and Grobbers 'beloved' committed more errors than the Sox, and also had a lower fielding percentage.

Maybe Cubs pitchers should allow more hitters to connect to keep their defense alert.

BTW the Cubs "dominated" MLB in strikeouts on pitching (with 30 more K's than the D-Backs) and hitting. The World Series Champion Angels finished 20th in team pitching K's.

Last time I checked McGriff was only one of nine fielders.

- DrCrawdad.

I think you're paranoid. The Cubs sorry defense has nothing to do with the Sox.

My 'beloved' committed more errors than several teams, I'm still not sure what that has to do with the Sox defense.

The fact that the staff accumulated so many K's has a direct impact on the majority of the stats you mentioned...thus, I mentioned it.

I'm not excusing anything. They're a mediocre fielding club.

DrCrawdad
01-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
I think you're paranoid. The Cubs sorry defense has nothing to do with the Sox.

My 'beloved' committed more errors than several teams, I'm still not sure what that has to do with the Sox defense...

Maybe you don't understand that the person saying the Sox defense is lousy is a HUGE Cubs fan. In my opinion it is pertinant to point out from stats that the Cubs are even worse.

If pointing to those stats makes me paranoid, then so be it. What does it say about you though that you feel compelled to rush to the Cubbies defense on a White Sox message board?

Viva Magglio
01-21-2003, 07:53 AM
When comparing defenses, I am more concerned with how our defense compared with that Minnesota - not the Cubs. Les made what I think is an importnat point in that to win the the AL, you have to play good defense which teams like Minnesota and Anaheim do. Les was dispelling Jerry Manuel's theory that you don't need good defense to win in the AL, and I happen to agree with Les on this issue. How many times have we blown games over the last decade because we keep giving the opposition four or five outs in an inning?

Vsahajpal
01-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Maybe you don't understand that the person saying the Sox defense is lousy is a HUGE Cubs fan. In my opinion it is pertinant to point out from stats that the Cubs are even worse.

If pointing to those stats makes me paranoid, then so be it. What does it say about you though that you feel compelled to rush to the Cubbies defense on a White Sox message board?


I'm not sure the forum makes a difference. So IMO, it says little of me. The point is, the Cubs defense has as much to do with the Sox defense as the Padres, Marlins, Pirates....

Vsahajpal
01-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by °Viva MŠgglio!
When comparing defenses, I am more concerned with how our defense compared with that Minnesota - not the Cubs. Les made what I think is an importnat point in that to win the the AL, you have to play good defense which teams like Minnesota and Anaheim do. Les was dispelling Jerry Manuel's theory that you don't need good defense to win in the AL, and I happen to agree with Les on this issue. How many times have we blown games over the last decade because we keep giving the opposition four or five outs in an inning?

Yeah, I think it'd make sense to compare the Sox "D" with playoff teams, rather than the poorer ones. I think Minnesota is the class of the AL fielding wise, but the Sox should be decent, if healthy.

34 Inch Stick
01-21-2003, 08:58 AM
If I could ask him about one thing where he would have to give me a straight answer, I think I would want to know about the Dahl-Lujack incident also. God that was great radio.

I miss the golden years of Dahl. The show is very good right now but he almost lost me with five years of Joy and Dave. He was becoming the woman from Tinley Park.

Grobber33
01-21-2003, 11:12 AM
First thing,I guess I'm flattered that an oppinion of mine on ESPN 1000 draws so much reaction.
It's amazing that if one's thoughts dont jive with someone else's than it's rip time! That's ok,I'm more than used to it.
34inchstick should understand that in most cases Media members PAY for meals now,example,the Sox,Cubs,Bulls,and Blackhawks charge the media--only the Bears do not. I enjoy the fact that they charge because it keeps the freeloaders away--and I'll bet I tip at lease as well as 34inchstick(not even knowing him).
To Tornlabrum,I'll gladly talk about the Lujack-Dahl encounter in 1985 when I'm in the chat room.
To Vsahajpal and our good Pal Dr.Crawdad,stats do not always give you the answer as to how good or bad a defense is in Baseball.Fielding stats are inflated IF for example an infielder has poor range and does not get to as many grounders.You will pick up fewer errors if you get to fewer balls. I REPEAT AND STAND BY THE FACT THAT The Sox have a great lineup,have a nice new closer,2 top flight starters with guys like Wright,& Garland who are critical to this team---BUT up the middle the Sox are not as good as the teams that made the playoffs in 2002 and Viva Magglio is so correct when he says that the Cubs defense has nothing to do with the Sox defense(except 6 times a year),but compairing them to the Twins is fair.
My,my,my DirtySouthsider! You sound like a pasionate loyal fan which is great--but understand that just because MY OPPINION is not always going to be YOUR OPPINION, does'nt mean I cant voice my own. BOTH the Cubs and Sox are pretty poor with fundamentles--Sosa may miss the cut off man,but guess what? Maggs does as well,just watch. How many times do you see a guy on the Sox,Cubs,Brewers,Cardinals or whomever rip a shot to the gap in right-center and lope into 2B with a Double when if they were hustling and running hard all the way,they would have had a Triple? That's Baseball in the 21st Century--most players wont bust their rear ends cause they are too worried about getting hurt-especially if they are in a contract year.
Oh yeah,one last point(ok mabey 2)this remains one of the best sites around--I enjoy the heck out of it and have mentioned it on the show despite the fact a few(not all)of you cant stand oppinions that you dont share.And about the Sox defense,I'll bet if you ask guys like Hawk Harrelson,John Rooney and Ed Farmer(I have),they will all tell you that the Twins,A's,Yanks,and of course the Angels are better defensively than the Sox---this has nothing to do with the Cubs whom I have repeatedly said right now can NOT beat out the Cards,Astros and likely(if Jr. decides to show up this year)the Reds. I am realistic about my favorite teams.If they suck,I will say so. Looking forward to the Chat here in Feb. As they say....BRING IT ON!! LES GROBSTEIN Posted in San Diego.

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
First thing,I guess I'm flattered that an oppinion of mine on ESPN 1000 draws so much reaction.
It's amazing that if one's thoughts dont jive with someone else's than it's rip time! That's ok,I'm more than used to it.
34inchstick should understand that in most cases Media members PAY for meals now,example,the Sox,Cubs,Bulls,and Blackhawks charge the media--only the Bears do not. I enjoy the fact that they charge because it keeps the freeloaders away--and I'll bet I tip at lease as well as 34inchstick(not even knowing him).
To Tornlabrum,I'll gladly talk about the Lujack-Dahl encounter in 1985 when I'm in the chat room.
To Vsahajpal and our good Pal Dr.Crawdad,stats do not always give you the answer as to how good or bad a defense is in Baseball.Fielding stats are inflated IF for example an infielder has poor range and does not get to as many grounders.You will pick up fewer errors if you get to fewer balls. I REPEAT AND STAND BY THE FACT THAT The Sox have a great lineup,have a nice new closer,2 top flight starters with guys like Wright,& Garland who are critical to this team---BUT up the middle the Sox are not as good as the teams that made the playoffs in 2002 and Viva Magglio is so correct when he says that the Cubs defense has nothing to do with the Sox defense(except 6 times a year),but compairing them to the Twins is fair.
My,my,my DirtySouthsider! You sound like a pasionate loyal fan which is great--but understand that just because MY OPPINION is not always going to be YOUR OPPINION, does'nt mean I cant voice my own. BOTH the Cubs and Sox are pretty poor with fundamentles--Sosa may miss the cut off man,but guess what? Maggs does as well,just watch. How many times do you see a guy on the Sox,Cubs,Brewers,Cardinals or whomever rip a shot to the gap in right-center and lope into 2B with a Double when if they were hustling and running hard all the way,they would have had a Triple? That's Baseball in the 21st Century--most players wont bust their rear ends cause they are too worried about getting hurt-especially if they are in a contract year.
Oh yeah,one last point(ok mabey 2)this remains one of the best sites around--I enjoy the heck out of it and have mentioned it on the show despite the fact a few(not all)of you cant stand oppinions that you dont share.And about the Sox defense,I'll bet if you ask guys like Hawk Harrelson,John Rooney and Ed Farmer(I have),they will all tell you that the Twins,A's,Yanks,and of course the Angels are better defensively than the Sox---this has nothing to do with the Cubs whom I have repeatedly said right now can NOT beat out the Cards,Astros and likely(if Jr. decides to show up this year)the Reds. I am realistic about my favorite teams.If they suck,I will say so. Looking forward to the Chat here in Feb. As they say....BRING IT ON!! LES GROBSTEIN Posted in San Diego.

Ouch man. Space that post out next time, it's hard on the eyes just to look at. I doubt too many people are going to read that entire thing.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Grobber:

I happen to agree with your comments.

I remember the "salad days" of the White Sox when if they had a two run lead in the late innings it's was money in the bank.

Personally I still think the way to win in baseball is with outstanding pitching, speed, defense and more pitching.

I'd rather win a boring 3-1 game then lose a 10-8 slugfest that reminds me more of a beer league softabll game.

The Sox have tried to follow Manager Gandhi's dictum of "I don't care if we finish last in the league in fielding..." and the results speak for themselves.

It's time for the Sox to go back to their roots and see if they can recreate the magic from 1951 through 1967 when solid fundamentals resulted in 17 consecutive winning seasons and being in the race virtually every season.

It's amazing how well the Sox played in 1983 and 1990 isn't it despite not having one of the top offenses in the game.

Lip

34 Inch Stick
01-21-2003, 12:22 PM
Wouldn't it be great to have this kind of access to some other people in the media or players.

Les, I love busting your stones but I am thrilled to have you on here. And no matter what I say, you win, because I listen to your show. It's great to have an entertaining alternative to "The Chat Champ".

Come out to a game some time (other than Cubs series) and I'll buy you a beer (free drink, can't pass that up).

ESPN 1000 should defenitely expand your show to at least both days on the weekend.

You're A Di-a-mond.

DirtySouthsider
01-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Hey Grobber..... I never said you are not entitled to your opinion or even that your opinion was wrong. I just wanted to let everyone know what you were saying on your radio show so you didn't come on here and try to change your tune.

with that being said.....Your Wrong!

Also if you are in SanDiego with Super Bowl festivities going on.....What the hell are you doing spending your time on here!!!????

DrCrawdad
01-21-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
First thing,I guess I'm flattered that an oppinion of mine on ESPN 1000 draws so much reaction.
It's amazing that if one's thoughts dont jive with someone else's than it's rip time! That's ok,I'm more than used to it...

To Vsahajpal and our good Pal Dr.Crawdad,stats do not always give you the answer as to how good or bad a defense is in Baseball.Fielding stats are inflated IF for example an infielder has poor range and does not get to as many grounders.You will pick up fewer errors if you get to fewer balls. I REPEAT AND STAND BY THE FACT THAT The Sox have a great lineup,have a nice new closer,2 top flight starters with guys like Wright,& Garland who are critical to this team---BUT up the middle the Sox are not as good as the teams that made the playoffs in 2002 and Viva Magglio is so correct when he says that the Cubs defense has nothing to do with the Sox defense(except 6 times a year),but compairing them to the Twins is fair. ...BRING IT ON!! LES GROBSTEIN Posted in San Diego.

I'd say that the Sox are as good, or maybe slightly better than last year up the middle.

Jimenez or Harris will be better than Durham. Rowand is fine. Catching, well I'm looking forward to possibly seeing Olivo.

With Crede at third the Sox are much better than they have been.

I stand by my comments related to the Cubs. When Les or some other Cub fans make comments about the Sox, I'll mention the Cubs by comparison, if I feel so inclined.

Les, you know that if a Sox fan, such as me, called you and critiqued the Cubs you'd for sure say, 'well what about your team...' I'm quite sure that I've heard you do it.

- DrCrawdad.

Soxboyrob
01-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Jimenez or Harris will be better than Durham. Rowand is fine. Catching, well I'm looking forward to possibly seeing Olivo.

With Crede at third the Sox are much better than they have been.

I stand by my comments related to the Cubs. When Les or some other Cub fans make comments about the Sox, I'll mention the Cubs by comparison, if I feel so inclined.

- DrCrawdad.

The fact remains that no matter how good or bad the Cubs are, the Sox need to be graded on how good the Sox are and not how they compare to the Cubs.

On Les' noting that the Sox defense is pathetic....the stats that were noted above, showing where we compared to the Cubs did a pretty good job of defending the Sox. Regardless of how we matched up to the Cubs, the Sox fit nicely in w/ the rest of the league. One thing to remember about those stats, however, is that the fielding percentage and errors committed were stats based on having Clayton at SS for most of the year. Now, we all know the statistical positives of putting Valentin at SS (relating to range factor and DP's turned) over Clayton, so I won't open that can of worms. But our status vs. the league defensive numbers will be affected by Clayton's departure. Hopefully, Jimenez will make less errors than Durham but I think it's too soon to count on that happening....not to mention that he'll likely not have Ray's range on flyballs or to his left.

As for Sammy not hitting the cutoff man...I'm not sure he even has the arm to get it to the cutoff man anymore so it might be a moot point, Les. I've actually noticed Maggs somewhat regularly throwing to the wrong base, so Les has a good point there. Hawk routinely point it out, also.

ChiSoxBobette
01-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
I caught Grobstein's radio Saturday morning and of course he was bashing the Sox. He believes they still won't make the playoffs because of their "pitiful" defense. He said they still are not as good as the twins and there is no way a wild-card will come out of the Central.

So we will just have to wait and see if he is singing the same tune when he comes to pays us a visit on here!!! :angry:
Why even care what the meathead has to say, of course he's going to rip on the White Sox but I'm sure he'll be the first in line at the All Star festivities to get the free eats. Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site. I'm sure the flubs will be in the world series this year though right grubstein -What A Goof
UNBELIEVEABLE

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Why even care what the meathead has to say, of course he's going to rip on the White Sox but I'm sure he'll be the first in line at the All Star festivities to get the free eats. Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site. I'm sure the flubs will be in the world series this year though right grubstein -What A Goof
UNBELIEVEABLE

In his defense, he's not the worse Flub announcer out there. There are a lot worse (See North, Mike). He's not completely unbiased, but I think he does a pretty good job of being fair to both sides.

DrCrawdad
01-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
The fact remains that no matter how good or bad the Cubs are, the Sox need to be graded on how good the Sox are and not how they compare to the Cubs.

On Les' noting that the Sox defense is pathetic....the stats that were noted above, showing where we compared to the Cubs did a pretty good job of defending the Sox. Regardless of how we matched up to the Cubs, the Sox fit nicely in w/ the rest of the league...

The stats I listed were where the Sox stand in MLB, and I included the Cubs for my friend Les. True the Sox need to be concerned on where they rank in relation to MN. At least in terms of MLB I think the Sox had a fairly decent year defensively. Obviously the Sox arenít as good defensively as MN.

IIRC Les was the only media guy who correctly identified how the Sox would need to play to win in the 2000 playoffs. Most other talking heads said that the Sox didnít have a dominant #1 pitcher, and thatís why weíd lose. Les said that the Sox needed to hit like they had all season. Well as we all know the pitching was fine but the Sox didnít hit.

I like Les. I enjoy Lesí show. Unfortunately Iím usually quite busy on Saturday mornings and canít listen to the Les and Tommy show.

I donít expect Les to say things that I always agree with. But I also reserve my right to disagree.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 07:08 PM
ChiSoxBob says:

Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site

The reason WSI gives him time is simple....it's because he actually works in the Chicago media! You can't buy that kind of publicity. Any mention he makes of the site and what it does is tremendous and OK by me.

I hope that PHG and Daver give time to any media personality that expresses an interest in WSI. I'd put Andy McPhail on if that's what he wanted.

The more WSI gets people like Les, the more WSI gets written about by media types like Ron Rapoport, Phil Rogers and LaVern Neal III in Minnesota makes this place stronger. PHG wanted this site to become the standard for all Sox sites and for getting and giving information. It's well on its way there with all of the noteriety it's picked up in the past year.

Until the site becomes self supporting and folks aren't putting money into it from their own pockets, I hope they keep bringing on ANYBODY who has name recognition.

Hell I'm still trying to get Jay Mariotti for an interview. Getting Les is just another feather in the WSI cap and another reason for the mainstream media to take the site seriously.

Lip

DrCrawdad
01-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
ChiSoxBob says:

Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site

The reason WSI gives him time is simple....it's because he actually works in the Chicago media! You can't buy that kind of publicity. Any mention he makes of the site and what it does is tremendous and OK by me.

I hope that PHG and Daver give time to any media personality that expresses an interest in WSI. I'd put Andy McPhail on if that's what he wanted.

The more WSI gets people like Les, the more WSI gets written about by media types like Ron Rapoport, Phil Rogers and LaVern Neal III in Minnesota makes this place stronger. PHG wanted this site to become the standard for all Sox sites and for getting and giving information. It's well on its way there with all of the noteriety it's picked up in the past year.

Until the site becomes self supporting and folks aren't putting money into it from their own pockets, I hope they keep bringing on ANYBODY who has name recognition.

Hell I'm still trying to get Jay Mariotti for an interview. Getting Les is just another feather in the WSI cap and another reason for the mainstream media to take the site seriously.

Lip

Here, here! I'll... :gulp: to that! Hey! Hey! I'll have Les' too since he doesn't drink!

WinningUgly!
01-21-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Why even care what the meathead has to say, of course he's going to rip on the White Sox but I'm sure he'll be the first in line at the All Star festivities to get the free eats. Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site. I'm sure the flubs will be in the world series this year though right grubstein -What A Goof
UNBELIEVEABLE

I can't believe I just wasted 15 seconds of my life reading this.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cussing.gif

FarWestChicago
01-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Why even care what the meathead has to say, of course he's going to rip on the White Sox but I'm sure he'll be the first in line at the All Star festivities to get the free eats. Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site. I'm sure the flubs will be in the world series this year though right grubstein -What A Goof
UNBELIEVEABLE Les is a bright, articulate guy who is guilty of one thing; bad taste in baseball teams. You appear to be the opposite.

Grobber33
01-21-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm flattered that something I say on a Saturday morning can get this many hits,and posts here! As for what I'm doing on this site while being here in San Diego,,that's easy....I AM A CHICAGOAN and any taste of 'back home' while away is all good to me. It does'nt matter if we are Cub or Sox Fans,we can beat up on each other--and we do....but other than Baseball preferences,we are mostly on the same page. I Guess ChiSox Bob cant read,or has a small attention span--he talks about "free eats" for the media when as I said earlier--most of that stuff no longer exsists.As for Winng Ugly, shame on you far taking an entire 15 seconds to read one line!! LES GROBSTEIN

gogosoxgogo
01-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Hey Les, have a good time at the superbowl.

TornLabrum
01-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
If I could ask him about one thing where he would have to give me a straight answer, I think I would want to know about the Dahl-Lujack incident also. God that was great radio.

I miss the golden years of Dahl. The show is very good right now but he almost lost me with five years of Joy and Dave. He was becoming the woman from Tinley Park.

I think Dave was the woman from Tinley Park.

TornLabrum
01-21-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Ouch man. Space that post out next time, it's hard on the eyes just to look at. I doubt too many people are going to read that entire thing.

I did. Expecially the part where he said he'd talk about the Dahl-Lujack incident. That was a classic moment.

TornLabrum
01-21-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
ChiSoxBob says:

Exactly why I can't understand why this site , A WHITE SOX SITE; would give this idiot, poor excuse for a sports person flub lover a forum on a White Sox site

The reason WSI gives him time is simple....it's because he actually works in the Chicago media! You can't buy that kind of publicity. Any mention he makes of the site and what it does is tremendous and OK by me.

I hope that PHG and Daver give time to any media personality that expresses an interest in WSI. I'd put Andy McPhail on if that's what he wanted.

The more WSI gets people like Les, the more WSI gets written about by media types like Ron Rapoport, Phil Rogers and LaVern Neal III in Minnesota makes this place stronger. PHG wanted this site to become the standard for all Sox sites and for getting and giving information. It's well on its way there with all of the noteriety it's picked up in the past year.

Until the site becomes self supporting and folks aren't putting money into it from their own pockets, I hope they keep bringing on ANYBODY who has name recognition.

Hell I'm still trying to get Jay Mariotti for an interview. Getting Les is just another feather in the WSI cap and another reason for the mainstream media to take the site seriously.

Lip

Yeah, what you said. Plus, the Grobber is one of the most knowledgeable about baseball of all of the Chicago media types.

If I can forgive my own aunt for being a Cubs fan, I can certainly forgive him.

WinningUgly!
01-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
As for Winng Ugly, shame on you far taking an entire 15 seconds to read one line!! LES GROBSTEIN

LOL! It always takes me a little bit longer to get through ChiSoxBob's posts. :)

Twins8791
01-21-2003, 11:50 PM
I enjoyed listening to Les on something called "The Sports Freaks" on WLS about 15 years ago. I could get it from this vast distance at night...

34 Inch Stick
01-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Les, are you going to go down to Tiajuana while you're down there? Make sure to go to one of those famous donkey shows.

Now that is something I would pay to see, Les blitzed on tequila with a big sombrero on watching a donkey show.

Go get 'em Les.

Grobber33
01-23-2003, 11:12 AM
Dream on 34InchStick!! The next person that see's me blasted will be the first--I'm also not going near Mexico on this trip--I've been there however in my younger days.Did'nt go to the Donkey show,but when the Cubs were in the 1984 Playoffs here,some other Chicago Radio reporters drove their rental car across the border,illegally parked the car in a closed parking lot,which was locked while they were out partying,then they tried to get the car out of the lot at 3am over a flower garden,,just trashing it--the car and the garden, and then when a security guard showed up,they told him the car had been stolen and left there. The Guard bought the story and they did'nt get in trouble. They could have spent quite a while in a Mexican jail.Oh yes,the Car was not supposed to be driven to Mexico--I still dont know how they got out of that with Hertz! For obvious reasons,I cant say who the reporters were----mabey some day if I write a book!!! LES

34 Inch Stick
01-23-2003, 11:31 AM
I heard it was the Red Baron who ran into that trouble. Maybe I am getting my stories mixed up.

Have fun, it was -3 on my way into work today.

34 Inch Stick
01-23-2003, 11:42 AM
By the way Les, how is it working with McNeil and Shaer again. It must be like old home week at ESPN1000. If they just present a little more local programming (you and Tommy overnight or in the morning) to mix with the national I think the station can take on the SCORE.

voodoochile
01-23-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
By the way Les, how is it working with McNeil and Shaer again. It must be like old home week at ESPN1000. If they just present a little more local programming (you and Tommy overnight or in the morning) to mix with the national I think the station can take on the SCORE.

Sounds like a question for the chat. Why don't you submit it?

TornLabrum
01-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
By the way Les, how is it working with McNeil and Shaer again. It must be like old home week at ESPN1000. If they just present a little more local programming (you and Tommy overnight or in the morning) to mix with the national I think the station can take on the SCORE.

I'd love to have more local programming on ESPN-1000, too. At least in the afternoon, I have a viable alternative to Mike North (until I get within range of WCKG and can catch Dahl).

I used to catch the end of Grobber's show every morning on the way to work (I leave home at about 5:15), but I don't listen to the radio much on Saturday mornings. I have caught the new show with T-Dub a couple of times, though, it it's good.

ChiSoxBobette
01-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I can't believe I just wasted 15 seconds of my life reading this.http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/cussing.gif
THATS BECAUSE YOU'RE A WASTE OF LIFE!
LES GRUBSTEIN IS NOT A MAJOR CHICAGO MEDIA PERSONALITY AND ANYONE WHO BELIEVES THAT IS A FOOL

Daver
01-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
THATS BECAUSE YOU'RE A WASTE OF LIFE!
LES GRUBSTEIN IS NOT A MAJOR CHICAGO MEDIA PERSONALITY AND ANYONE WHO BELIEVES THAT IS A FOOL

Bob,two points.

Try switching to decaf,it may do you some good.

The button on the far left side says Caps Lock,turn it off.

WinningUgly!
01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
THATS BECAUSE YOU'RE A WASTE OF LIFE!
LES GRUBSTEIN IS NOT A MAJOR CHICAGO MEDIA PERSONALITY AND ANYONE WHO BELIEVES THAT IS A FOOL

Just when I think I've read the stupidest post ever, you go and post another. Next time, wake up the dozy peg-legged hamster operating that wheel-powered brain of yours before you start typing.

34 Inch Stick
01-24-2003, 03:34 PM
It's a battle for who will get more posts, the Grobber or Dave Gallagher.

DirtySouthsider
01-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Dave Gallagher should win that battle....he is more liked by White Sox fans! :D: