PDA

View Full Version : Doug Drabek

A.T. Money
01-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Anyone remember when we had Doug Drabek on the Sox? I thought when we got him, he was going to kick some arse like he did that one year in Pittsburgh. Hah!

He got ROCKED! Like in every game. LOL. I still liked him though. He used to dig in his ears all the time while on the mound. It was funny. One thing is for sure though. He had a great curveball.

Anyone remember that one great game he pitched? It was against the Cubs. He struck out Sandberg 3 times, and just baffled the Cubs lineup. Of all the teams Drabek pitched against, there was one team he owned, and it was the Northsiders. It was great.

Tragg
01-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Yes another brilliant Scheuler pitching aquisition in the same family as mckaskill and navarro.
Drabek was okay with houston, with whom he pitched i believe right before we got him.

A.T. Money
01-20-2003, 11:43 AM
McCaskill wasn't too bad. He pitched well for the 93 team.

There were 2 guys in that bullpen that would acknowledge the fans. McCaskill, and Scott Radinsky. I remember peaking into the old bullpens, which were like pits, and yell, "Hey Scott!" and he'd look up and wave. He was all heart. McCaskill was warming up in the pen before a start, I waved my Sox hat to him, and he looked up at me and gave me a nod.

Hell, I was like 13. Things like that make a kid feel good. Players don't acknowledge fans anymore, which sucks.

Brian26
01-20-2003, 12:32 PM
McMaskil was better than "not too bad".

He played a helluva role at the short set-up guy for the '93 team.

More notably, he was an outstanding ping-pong player. If it wasn't for him, This Week In Baseball would have never been able to pull off that funny practical joke in the Sox lockerroom during the '93 season. I think it even made the season highlight video that year. Great stuff.

Bo Jackson: "He Got YOUR ASS!!! He Got Your Ass!"

hose
01-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Anyone remember when we had Doug Drabek on the Sox? I thought when we got him, he was going to kick some arse like he did that one year in Pittsburgh. Hah!

He got ROCKED! Like in every game. LOL. I still liked him though. He used to dig in his ears all the time while on the mound. It was funny. One thing is for sure though. He had a great curveball.

Anyone remember that one great game he pitched? It was against the Cubs. He struck out Sandberg 3 times, and just baffled the Cubs lineup. Of all the teams Drabek pitched against, there was one team he owned, and it was the Northsiders. It was great.

Drabek was one of the gems in the White Sox farm system who was tossed in on a deal with the Yankees. The Yankees then traded him to Pittsburgh. I believe Eddie Einhorn was the person responsible for this costly mistake.

How would Doug Drabek have looked on that 1990 White Sox team?

A.T. Money
01-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by hose
Drabek was one of the gems in the White Sox farm system who was tossed in on a deal with the Yankees. The Yankees then traded him to Pittsburgh. I believe Eddie Einhorn was the person responsible for this costly mistake.

How would Doug Drabek have looked on that 1990 White Sox team?

Or 93????

They may have beaten Toronto.

Lip Man 1
01-20-2003, 07:39 PM
The Sox actually had a good run of picking up pitchers who would go on to win in double figures for the club. Guys like McCaskill, Scott Sanderson, Charlie Hough, Drabek and Kevin Tapani usually made a solid contribution.

The Sox weren't forced to rely on their "can't miss kids" like Ruffcorn and Bolton and wound up having a good run from 1990 through 96 (excluding 95)

That ping pong incident by the way is on the "official" 1993 Sox highlight tape called "Good Guys And Winners Wear Black." I watched that shortly before I interviewed Jack McDowell. When I mentioned the ping pong affair, Jack started laughing.

Lip

WinningUgly!
01-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Sox actually had a good run of picking up pitchers who would go on to win in double figures for the club. Guys like McCaskill, Scott Sanderson, Charlie Hough, Drabek and Kevin Tapani usually made a solid contribution.

They did hit on a few of these, but they also had their share of misses....Rob Dibble, Atlee Hammaker, Joe Magrane, Dave Righetti, Dave Stieb, etc.

hose
01-20-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Or 93????

They may have beaten Toronto.

Drabek was 22-6 in 1990 and won the NL CY Young.

In 1993 he was 9-18.......... in a Todd Ritchie type of way Drabek would of helped out any way he could.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Winning Ugly says:

Rob Dibble, Atlee Hammaker, Joe Magrane, Dave Righetti, Dave Stieb, etc.

With the exception of Stieb who was only with the Sox for the first half of 93 all those other clowns were after 96. Big difference.

Lip