PDA

View Full Version : Colon Health

DrCrawdad
01-19-2003, 08:57 PM
White Sox GM Ken Williams says he isn't worried about Bartolo Colon's weight, and another GM also expresses minimal concern, saying Colon fattens up every winter, then dominates from May to September. One scout who saw Colon in the Dominican, however, issues these words of warning: "He's gotten so big all over, his eyes are ready to shut." . . . - by Ken Rosenthal, The Sporting News

I've read about Colon's weight supposedly ballooning. Is anyone here concerned about this? Is there validity to these reports?

IIRC I read that reports of Colon's weight gain have been greatly exagerated. And that these reports may have been feed to the press by teams looking to muddy the waters on Colon. I can't at the moment remember where I read this though.

- DrCrawdad.

RedPinStripes
01-19-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm not worried. Wells was a fats and a drinker. Colon dont have to worry about the gout and Colon never had any health problems. Wells always has.

duke of dorwood
01-19-2003, 09:03 PM
No need to worry-even if he's a bit overweight, he's a big frame guy.

idseer
01-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I've read about Colon's weight supposedly ballooning. Is anyone here concerned about this? Is there validity to these reports?

IIRC I read that reports of Colon's weight gain have been greatly exagerated. And that these reports may have been feed to the press by teams looking to muddy the waters on Colon. I can't at the moment remember where I read this though.

- DrCrawdad.

why worry about something we know nothing about? if anyone should be worried it's kw and if he's not then there's nothing to do but wait & see. i recall the same things said about early wynn ... yet he always pitched like a slim healthy guy. some people are just made to be ... portly. :D:

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
No need to worry-even if he's a bit overweight, he's a big frame guy.

That's what my friends say about me to my wife.
:gulp:

fuzzy_patters
01-20-2003, 10:48 AM
I doubt he will be any larger than Wilson Alvarez was, and Wilson was a pretty darn good pitcher.

Huisj
01-20-2003, 11:23 AM
until he was 29 or 30 that is.

jeremyb1
01-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I doubt he will be any larger than Wilson Alvarez was, and Wilson was a pretty darn good pitcher.

alvarez has also been ineffective and injured ever since around the time he turned 30. i think there's at least some cause for concern with colon's weight. he has been big in the past but the reports aren't that he's his same old overweight self but instead that he's significantly larger than he's ever been before. its not the kiss of death but to assure people there's nothing to be concerned about is wrong.

soxtalker
01-20-2003, 04:20 PM
It is a bit of a cause for concern, since it proved to be a problem with other pitchers as they get older. One would think that he might be motivated to get the weight down, since he's at least playing for next year's contract.

voodoochile
01-20-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
It is a bit of a cause for concern, since it proved to be a problem with other pitchers as they get older. One would think that he might be motivated to get the weight down, since he's at least playing for next year's contract.

He's only 30 anyway. Boomer was 37. Colon may struggle as he ages, but that is still at least a few years away, IMO...

DrCrawdad
01-20-2003, 07:25 PM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/01/20/wt8JnK7C.jpg
His eyes look open to me.

jeremyb1
01-21-2003, 12:21 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2003/01/20/wt8JnK7C.jpg
His eyes look open to me.

haha. yeah. i'm less concerned after seeing the pictures and hearing him say he feels as though he weighs less than he did at the start of spring training last season. it seems the rumors of his weight gain were exagerrated. also, we only have him for this season so as long as he's not horribly overweight its less of a concern for just this season. now if we were to sign him to a long term deal at over 10 mil per year i might get concerned but that most likely won't happen.

DrCrawdad
01-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
haha. yeah. i'm less concerned after seeing the pictures and hearing him say he feels as though he weighs less than he did at the start of spring training last season. it seems the rumors of his weight gain were exagerrated. also, we only have him for this season so as long as he's not horribly overweight its less of a concern for just this season. now if we were to sign him to a long term deal at over 10 mil per year i might get concerned but that most likely won't happen.

Williams heard the rumors that Colon's weight had ballooned in the off-season and that he had fared poorly in two starts in the Dominican Winter League.

But two years after getting burned by David Wells and his exploding waistline, Williams was not about to hold off on trading for Colon, a flame-thrower with a career record of 85-49.

"A lot of organizations will float things out there in hopes that it makes others back off," Williams said. "If you don't do your own homework, some of these things can lead you down the wrong road.

"Some of the rumors had him 30-35 pounds overweight, and that's just not the case."