PDA

View Full Version : Whose going to Spring Training?

SouthSideHitman
01-19-2003, 06:32 PM
I just finished planning a trip to Arizona including Tucson and Phoenix on March 23-25 and I was wondering who from WSI is going to those games. Also, I'm wondering whether I should by tickets now or just pick them up at the park. I'd rather not pay the extra bucks by ordering now, but if there is a chance they'll be sold out, I'll pony up. What do you who have gone to spring trainings past think? Thanks for the help.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Well I was going to go the 9th thru the 14th and see like 3 of the games in tuscon. But then my company rejected my request for time off.

I'm pretty sure there are alot of tickets readily availble at the gate, but I've never gone so I'm not positive.

hose
01-19-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I just finished planning a trip to Arizona including Tucson and Phoenix on March 23-25 and I was wondering who from WSI is going to those games. Also, I'm wondering whether I should by tickets now or just pick them up at the park. I'd rather not pay the extra bucks by ordering now, but if there is a chance they'll be sold out, I'll pony up. What do you who have gone to spring trainings past think? Thanks for the help.

If the Sox are playing the DBacks and Johnson or Schilling is scheduled to pitch you can expect big crowds. Otherwise you shouldn't have a problem with walking up and buying tickets at Tucson Electric Park for Sox games.

One thing you might consider is sitting in the upper deck where there is some shade, that sun will roast you.

I haven't been up to Phoenix area for a Sox game, but expect a sold out game if its against the Cubs.

I was all set to go to Tucson again this spring but after the Sox got Colon I changed my mind. I figured I might need to save some dough for the post season :D:

Viva Magglio
01-20-2003, 12:05 AM
I'll be in Tucson March 14-17 and will see a Sox-Cubs game on the 14th which will probably sell out b/c many Cub fans drive down I-10 from Mesa. I will also be at a Sox-Diamondbacks game which will have a nice crowd too with the Sox being the road team that day.

mike squires
01-20-2003, 08:59 AM
The game will not be sold out. But, if you want good seats order them now. I went in 2000 and we ordered our tickets in advance and were right behind the sox dugout about 7 rows up. I got Frank's autograph twice that day. As a bonus Randy Johnson was a surprize starter. I've got a great pitcher him just releasing the ball to Big Frank.

after leaving the airport with our rental car we were supposed to go to an A's game just for the hell of it. I screwed up on the drections and ended up making it just in time to see the Sox/Giants. Spring training is great.

rmusacch
01-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Well I was going to go the 9th thru the 14th and see like 3 of the games in tuscon. But then my company rejected my request for time off.

I'm pretty sure there are alot of tickets readily availble at the gate, but I've never gone so I'm not positive.

What profession are you in that the company rejected your time off?

FoulkeFan
01-20-2003, 02:48 PM
I'll be there March 5-9. This is my 3rd season going. I buy my tickets ahead of time, but I don't think you would need to unless they are playing the Diamondbacks. I went to 2 games at Tucson Electric Park 2 years ago, one was empty and the other was sold out (when they played Arizona).

pudge
01-20-2003, 02:55 PM
There are always seats in Tuscon, but games in other places can get sold out... I got off the plane in Phoenix and drove to Peoria for a Sox vs. M's game, and I was forced to pay for a club seat, because it was the only one left. The place was packed.

balz1472
01-20-2003, 04:23 PM
My roommate and I are going to be out in Scottsdale for the weekend of the 15th where we'll catch the Cubs/Angels; Sox/Giants and A's/Rangers games back-to-back-to-back...
We went last year and it was a blast! If you can handle the sun, the lawn is a great place to be!