PDA

View Full Version : Sosa, Colon, Osuna, El Duque, Leifer, Rios

Huisj
01-19-2003, 03:28 PM
Front page of the Sporting News, a big article by Ken Rosenthal.

Inside Dish (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/ken_rosenthal/20030119.html)

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:32 PM
The thing I noticed was about Rios being a pain in the ass in the club house.

I'm hoping that if he is, the sox will eat his 450k contract, release him and find another option.

Daver
01-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
The thing I noticed was about Rios being a pain in the ass in the club house.

I'm hoping that if he is, the sox will eat his 450k contract, release him and find another option.

Albert Belle was not exactly the best guy in the clubhouse,neither is Frank Thomas,those things can be dealt with.

I am actually quite impressed with the way Kenny Williams was able to replace the players traded for Colon virtually on the day of the trade.

voodoochile
01-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by daver
Albert Belle was not exactly the best guy in the clubhouse,neither is Frank Thomas,those things can be dealt with.

I am actually quite impressed with the way Kenny Williams was able to replace the players traded for Colon virtually on the day of the trade.

Ditto. To be honest, I almost expected the Sox to land Colon. Don't ask me why. There was just so many rumors and all the other teams had dropped out one by one. It almost seemed like destiny when he landed here.

The way KW managed to only trade 3 marginal role-players (from a Sox viewpoint) and then replace those role players before the trade had even settled was stunning and impressive.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Don't get me wrong I was very impressed how well orchestrated this was. KW really impressed me.

lighttowerpower1
01-19-2003, 05:31 PM
I really like the way that Rosenthal builds up Jeff Liefer as having so much HR potential. I can see his comments now if we were to trade Aaron Rowand..." future gold glove center fielder, has potential to steal 50-60 bases and hit .375 as a lead off hitter" :gulp:

MarkEdward
01-19-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by lighttowerpower1
I really like the way that Rosenthal builds up Jeff Liefer as having so much HR potential.

For what it's worth, Liefer did have a good 2001, and was a nice hitter in the minors. I think he'll be around .250/.325/.490 in Montreal, which isn't that bad for a corner outfielder/infielder.

I'm still concerned about our bench for next year. We're in trouble if Konerko or Thomas go down to injury. Liefer, for all his faults, provided some pop; Armando Rios makes a fine fourth or fifth outfielder, but he's a below average DH. Colorado has a love affair with Aaron Rowand. Maybe they'd give up Cust?

ssang
01-19-2003, 07:21 PM
It absolutley amazes me that so called "experts" feel that Liefer has potential to be good. Do they even watch any of the games? He just sucks against lefties, he'll never hit above .265 (and that's being generous), his power is ovverated, he's marginal in the field at best, and he whines about playing time (which he clearly doesn't deserve). Any fan/scout/expert/whatever who feels Liefer will be a good major league ballplayer one day is an utter moron in every sense of the word. HEACE!

jortafan
01-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by ssang
It absolutley amazes me that so called "experts" feel that Liefer has potential to be good. Do they even watch any of the games? He just sucks against lefties, he'll never hit above .265 (and that's being generous), his power is ovverated, he's marginal in the field at best, and he whines about playing time (which he clearly doesn't deserve). Any fan/scout/expert/whatever who feels Liefer will be a good major league ballplayer one day is an utter moron in every sense of the word. HEACE!

Don't hold back now. Tell us what you really think about Jeff.

RedPinStripes
01-19-2003, 08:58 PM
KW's gonna **** if he sees that we're not ripping him a new one over here anyomore.

:KW
***?

MarkEdward
01-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ssang
It absolutley amazes me that so called "experts" feel that Liefer has potential to be good. Do they even watch any of the games? He just sucks against lefties,

He's never really had the chance to hit against lefties in the majors.

his power is ovverated,

How so?

he's marginal in the field at best, and he whines about playing time (which he clearly doesn't deserve).

That I'd agree on.

Any fan/scout/expert/whatever who feels Liefer will be a good major league ballplayer one day is an utter moron in every sense of the word. HEACE!

I'm not saying he'll be an all-star, but he's a good option for a team like the Tigers or Royals.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I'm not saying he'll be an all-star, but he's a good option for a team like the Tigers or Royals.

In other words, a team that is satisfied to lose a lot of games.

:)

jeremyb1
01-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by lighttowerpower1
I really like the way that Rosenthal builds up Jeff Liefer as having so much HR potential. I can see his comments now if we were to trade Aaron Rowand..." future gold glove center fielder, has potential to steal 50-60 bases and hit .375 as a lead off hitter" :gulp:

just to clarify i believe it was rosenthal quoting a scout and not rosenthal himself commenting on leifer.