PDA

View Full Version : 5th Starter

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Who do you think will be the 5th starter?

HawkDJ
01-19-2003, 02:57 PM
The only possible choices to me are Rauch, Stewart, player in a trade or player by free agency. I went with Rauch but I'm optimistic that we will sign a nice veteran 5th starter.

bc2k
01-19-2003, 03:07 PM
In my opinion, Jon Rauch will and should be the 5th starter.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:18 PM
To tell you the truth, I was just going to put Rauch, Stewart, Glover, and Aquired by trade or free agent on there.

But it always seems there are one or two people who pick some wierd unlikely choice and get upset if the player isn't on the list.

MetalliSox
01-19-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm going with Rauch. He looked near dominating his last two starts last season. But that was LAST season so who knows.

Daver
01-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
To tell you the truth, I was just going to put Rauch, Stewart, Glover, and Aquired by trade or free agent on there.

But it always seems there are one or two people who pick some wierd unlikely choice and get upset if the player isn't on the list.

Diaz,Malone,West,Parrish,and Adkins have almost 0 chance to make the trip north,barring an injury.

Stewart has a slight chance.

What puzzles me is why you left off Thomas Jacquez. :)

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Daver that should be in teal shouldn't it?

Daver
01-19-2003, 03:33 PM

Laziness.......

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Actually, I think Adkins might get a spot in the bullpen, I don't know why, I just think he has a chance at it.

Daver
01-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Actually, I think Adkins might get a spot in the bullpen, I don't know why, I just think he has a chance at it.

Stewart,Sanders and Munoz would all have to have a terrible spring for that to happen.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 03:42 PM

I know how to make Jacquez a better player. Let's give him a World Series MVP bonus clause in his contract!!!

:)

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:43 PM
I said might, did I forget to mention the catastrophic golf cart incident that takes out the other pitchers.

I also think Stewart, Sanders, and Munoz are going to be fighting with porzio for a spot on the roster.

With Ginter getting competition from Amonte for another spot.

But that depends on how many pitchers the Sox are looking to take North

Daver
01-19-2003, 03:47 PM
I said might, did I forget to mention the catastrophic golf cart incident that takes out the other pitchers.

I also think Stewart, Sanders, and Munoz are going to be fighting with porzio for a spot on the roster.

With Ginter getting competition from Amonte for another spot.

But that depends on how many pitchers the Sox are looking to take North

Can the Mike Porzio experiment please end?

The guy is terrible.

Edwin Almonte is intriguing,but there is no place in the bullpen for him if they sign Tom Gordon.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:54 PM
I agree about Porzio. I much rather have Munoz, I'd be more confident.

I could see out pen being Koch, Marte, Gordon, Glover, Wunsch, Munoz, & Ginter

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 04:05 PM
I agree about Porzio. I much rather have Munoz, I'd be more confident.

I could see out pen being Koch, Marte, Gordon, Glover, Wunsch, Munoz, & Ginter

I have a feeling that is what it's going to be. And to be honest, I like it.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Who do you think will be the 5th starter?

i gotta go with Jon "The Sears Tower" Rauch. Putting him as 5th starter puts little pressure on him, and if he fails, he can be replaced by one of those guys. If we didnt have Colon, then I would definitley be worried about having Rauch AND another of those guys in the rotation.

idseer
01-19-2003, 05:15 PM
this poll seems to have been a no brainer.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 05:19 PM
That is for sure. I didn't want to make it to simple, but who knew it would be that overwhelming.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 05:21 PM
I should have asked, if J R hit Jon Rauch with his golf cart in spring training who would replace him as the 5th starter?

lowesox
01-19-2003, 06:08 PM
I've read a couple of posts about the number 5 spot, and I think getting a veteran is crazy. We have 4 good starters with experience, lets use the fifth spot to give a guy with a ton of potential experience. Personally, I don't care if its Rauch, Stewart or whoever. Whoever pitches best in spring training. I find a rookie #5 exciting. And if we're in a position to make the playoffs and we need to upgrade that slot, then we can do it before the trading deadline. If we're not in a postion to make the playoffs, it won't be because of our no. 5 pitcher.

Soxfans, lets not get greedy. KW, keep the team as it is.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 06:14 PM
I don't really think anyone has expressed the desire to go out and get a veteran. So I wouldn't say anyone was greedy. Almost everyone on this poll picked rauch. No one even selected trade or free agent pick up.

MarkEdward
01-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
I have a feeling that is what it's going to be. And to be honest, I like it.

I just have a problem with bringing up Munoz for this year. Do we really need two LOOGYs on the roster?

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I just have a problem with bringing up Munoz for this year. Do we really need two LOOGYs on the roster?

Hey, if he has as good a spring training as he is having a winter league, I say why not. I wouldn't start him on our major league roster probably even if he had an amazing spring training just because he threw a lot last year in the minors and now in winter league, but I think we'll definately see him by the end of the year.

MarkEdward
01-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Hey, if he has as good a spring training as he is having a winter league, I say why not. I wouldn't start him on our major league roster probably even if he had an amazing spring training just because he threw a lot last year in the minors and now in winter league, but I think we'll definately see him by the end of the year.

But when is he going to play? LOOGYs only only get about 50 innings a year anyway. I can't see Munoz getting more than 25 innings this year on the Sox. He can be used better elsewhere.

fuzzy_patters
01-20-2003, 10:54 AM
I say we sign a free agent pitcher and let Rauch gain confidence in a 2000 Mark Buehrle type roll. Over 162 games some pitcher will invariably go down or be ineffective, and Rauch can step in their place as a more experienced relief pitcher. This may help him avoid some of the growing pains a guy like Wright has struggled through. Furthermore, it answers some of the long relied question marks in the Sox bullpen.