PDA

View Full Version : Downey's First Column

Lip Man 1
01-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Maybe it's just me, but new Tribune columnist Mike Downey seemed to talk a lot more about the Sox and have more knowledge of them in his initial column then the Cubs.

Perhaps that "Cubs fan" comment was in fact a PR manuever.

Lip

RKMeibalane
01-19-2003, 01:48 PM
IIRC, other people on this site have said that he is a native of the Southside and a lifelong Sox fan.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
IIRC, other people on this site have said that he is a native of the Southside and a lifelong Sox fan.

He graduated from Bloom in Chicago Heights, same as me. And look how I turned out.

:)

TornLabrum
01-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
He graduated from Bloom in Chicago Heights, same as me. And look how I turned out.

Okay, now do you have anything positive to say about him?

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Okay, now do you have anything positive to say about him?

Well, Downey has never won Bloom Athletic Department's "Jim Bouton 110 Percent Award." So I guess the author of Ball Four will remain my favorite Trojan co-alumnus.

Downey never won a World Series game, either.

fuzzy_patters
01-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Or perhaps he has a closet obsession with the Sox like every other Cub Fan.

voodoochile
01-20-2003, 12:03 PM
I thought it was an interesting column, especially after the way Michael Holley left town in a hurry shortly after 9/11. Holley claimed it was because he missed his family and friends in Boston and the attacks made him realize how much he missed them and how short life was. I took that at face value, but am not sure his lack of Chicago history didn't play a larger role than I previously believed.

Someone else was convinced it was because of Holley's infamous "Bears have no history at safety to speak of" comment that did him in. The way Downey went out of his way to prove he knew Chicago and Illinois sporting history makes me wonder if that poster was more correct than I...

Downey's First Column (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/chi-0301190287jan19,1,3165265.story)

SI1020
01-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Anybody who remembers the Cobden Appleknockers really knows his Illinois sports history. I'm feeling very nostalgic after reading this column.

Cheryl
01-20-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm assuming he'll start writing real columns soon. Hope so anyway.