PDA

View Full Version : tom gordon

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 12:11 PM
has he actually been signed yet? everyone said the day after the colon trade he would be signed, but i have heard nothing of an actual signing yet.

Daver
01-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
has he actually been signed yet? everyone said the day after the colon trade he would be signed, but i have heard nothing of an actual signing yet.

He is taking a physical on Monday,and will be signed after he passes it.

hose
01-19-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
He is taking a physical on Monday,and will be signed after he passes it.

What is your take on Gordon? do you think he has anything left in the tank?

It would be a huge boost to the bullpen if Gordon can regain the form he had with KC and Boston.

Daver
01-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by hose
What is your take on Gordon? do you think he has anything left in the tank?

It would be a huge boost to the bullpen if Gordon can regain the form he had with KC and Boston.

If his arm is completely healed he will be an asset to the bullpen,provided he knows his role upfront.

CHISOXFAN13
01-19-2003, 01:42 PM
If he can perform like he did last season, he will be a welcome addition. I would assume KW has already informed him we traded for a guy that is one of the top closers in the league. Gordon wasn't a closer last year, and he think he realizes now that he likely won't be again.

fuzzy_patters
01-19-2003, 01:51 PM
Flash Gordon has a nasty curveball. I can't think of a better way to set up a closer with big time cheese.

kermittheefrog
01-19-2003, 02:05 PM
I think if Gordon is healthy and we got him for cheap he'll be a pretty nice addition to the pen. It's really doubtful he'll be the great but he'll be a solid replacement for Osuna.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 02:14 PM
I think Osuna is better than Gordon, but hey, to get Colon, we had to give up something. My prediction is that Gordon will have an ERA in the mid 3's with not a ton of strike outs. Again, I'd rather have Osuna, but hey, what are you going to do?

Anyway, I think Gordon will, or should I say should be our 7th inning setup man behind Marte in the depth chart. Marte had a much better season last year as he really stepped it up, and I think he's likely to repeat that. I just see him being a lot better than Gordon.

Gordon wouldn't be my first choice among setup men who I would have liked to acquire, but at least he's something to replace someone we lost in a trade.

fuzzy_patters
01-19-2003, 02:22 PM
I doubt that Jerry Manual has a seventh and eigth inning guy. His tendency has been to wait until he gets there and play the match-ups as he sees them.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I doubt that Jerry Manual has a seventh and eigth inning guy. His tendency has been to wait until he gets there and play the match-ups as he sees them.

I'm aware, that's why I said he should be. Marte will probably be wasted and used only against lefties, when he's probably more effective against righties than Gordon is.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Actually if you remember last year, Jerry didn't use Marte in a situation role all that often. If I remember correctly he faced a slight bit more right handers last year then left handers.

He used porzio, then eventually wunch for the situational roles. Most often he let Marte finish an inning and sometimes 2.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Actually if you remember last year, Jerry didn't use Marte in a situation role all that often. If I remember correctly he faced a slight bit more right handers last year then left handers.

He used porzio, then eventually wunch for the situational roles. Most often he let Marte finish an inning and sometimes 2.

Yes, as should have. However, with the acquisition of Gordon, I have a feeling that that is going to change.

HawkDJ
01-19-2003, 02:44 PM
Marte faced 115 right handers and 101 left handers...

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Marte faced 115 right handers and 101 left handers...

Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Yes, as should have. However, with the acquisition of Gordon, I have a feeling that that is going to change.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 02:48 PM
I don't think it would change anymore than when Osuna was here. If it were to change I would think that Marte would get more time now.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 02:51 PM
I don't think it would change anymore than when Osuna was here. If it were to change I would think that Marte would get more time now.

I hope so, but knowing Manuel, I don't think that will be the case. We all know Jerry loves his Lefty/Lefty Righty/Righty matchups. Gordon is a lot bigger name than Osuna due to his career years with Boston and KC and will probably wine about not being the primary setup man.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 02:56 PM
I really don't think they are signing gordon to be the primary set up man. I have the feeling he's going to be A Bill Simas type when Foulke and Howry were here.

At that time, when the pitcher tired in the 6th Simas pitched the 7th, Foulke pitched the 8th, and Howry closed it out.

Even though Gordon is older and more experienced I don't think he's going to be more than a 7th inning guy, with the occasional set up, and rare save op.

I really find that where Jerry tinkers the most is with the position players more than anything else.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 05:16 PM
I really don't think they are signing gordon to be the primary set up man. I have the feeling he's going to be A Bill Simas type when Foulke and Howry were here.

At that time, when the pitcher tired in the 6th Simas pitched the 7th, Foulke pitched the 8th, and Howry closed it out.

Even though Gordon is older and more experienced I don't think he's going to be more than a 7th inning guy, with the occasional set up, and rare save op.

I really find that where Jerry tinkers the most is with the position players more than anything else.

I really hope you're right. I'm not too worried about 'tinkering' on pitching so much as I'm worried about his special little pitching matchups he loves so much.