PDA

View Full Version : The N.Y. perspective on our Sox

jortafan
01-19-2003, 09:13 AM
An interesting column from the Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/52662p-49362c.html

OK, maybe he has trouble figuring out who came first, Veeck or Reinsdorf (I suspect his word choice is more a brain cramp than anything else).

But you have to admit, he's right about our team needing a real center fielder, although I think he's a little too harsh on Jiminez' chances of being worthwhile.

hose
01-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by jortafan

OK, maybe he has trouble figuring out who came first, Veeck or Reinsdorf (I suspect his word choice is more a brain cramp than anything else).

But you have to admit, he's right about our team needing a real center fielder, although I think he's a little too harsh on Jiminez' chances of being worthwhile.

I wonder what this writer or even the "scouts" had to say about David Eckstein at this time last year?

Tragg
01-19-2003, 10:49 AM

I have to agree with him - we are weak at catcher, short and center field, and have been since forever with a few periods of interlude at one position or another now and then.

soxtalker
01-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Yes, it struck me as a very good objective article. I didn't think that he was terribly harsh or even negative on Jimenez, who, like Olivo and Rowand, simply has very limited major league experience.

And he is quite correct -- our weakness is in the middle. Hopefully, KW is now focusing on that issue, since he took care of his first priority in the #2 starter.

SoxxoS
01-19-2003, 11:27 AM
To say the Twins are a "far superior team" is a joke in its own right. Neither the Sox or the Twins are "far superior." When Vegas comes out with the win totals for each team, I guarantee that the Sox and Twins will both be about 91. If anything, the Sox might be projected to win more games b/c of the Chicago betting influence, but that is neither hear nor there. My point is to say any of these teams is "far superior" is a fallacy.

(I think I met my air-quote quota for the day. :smile: )

Lip Man 1
01-19-2003, 02:28 PM
I liked Madden's comments on Manager Gandhi!

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I liked Madden's comments on Manager Gandhi!

I think it's interesting that the most lasting result of the Colon acquisition is almost certainly to be Manuel getting fired before Williams. It might have happened without Colon, but now that he is here, it is almost certain to happen. KW is safe.

It's put-up-or-shut-up time for The Tinkerer. Here's betting we'll see a lot less of the sort of silly moves that had Josh Paul playing left field last September.

:jerry
"If my tinkering doesn't work this time, I'm probably out of a job!"

:versatile
"That means I'm already out of a job!"

:olivo
"Especially if I show any promise at all!"

bc2k
01-19-2003, 03:31 PM

And he incorrectly stated that Jose Valentin made 36 errors at shortstop last year.

soxtalker
01-19-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I think it's interesting that the most lasting result of the Colon acquisition is almost certainly to be Manuel getting fired before Williams. It might have happened without Colon, but now that he is here, it is almost certain to happen. KW is safe.

Any comments on the fellow mentioned in the article, Wally Backman?

Also, it has been suggested before on this board that KW has been aiming to replace JM. One-by-one he has been removing Schueler's players and coaches. JM would be one of the final moves. I'm not commenting one way or the other here on whether JM should be the manager. There are obviously a number of people on the board who don't care for him. My point is that it appears that KW wouldn't mind replacing him with someone of his own choosing. Given that, would Backman fit in as a KW choice?

duke of dorwood
01-19-2003, 03:58 PM
I think JM is not the guy for this team right now.