PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Jersey

A.T. Money
01-19-2003, 04:35 AM
My girlfriend bought me a new Sox jersey. It's an official one, and it's the vest and black shirt style. My question is this. I want to get a number and name on the back. It's plain. Haven't decided which player I wanna get yet. Frank has always been my favorite.

Does anyone know of any good places in the Chicago area where I can take my jersey in to get this done?

MetalliSox
01-19-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
My girlfriend bought me a new Sox jersey. It's an official one, and it's the vest and black shirt style. My question is this. I want to get a number and name on the back. It's plain. Haven't decided which player I wanna get yet. Frank has always been my favorite.

Does anyone know of any good places in the Chicago area where I can take my jersey in to get this done?

I have an old Jordan jersey, which is now framed and up on my wall. But besides that, I will never get a jersey with a players name on it. Too much team swapping, but if you looking for nostalgia, I'd go with Frank. He has been with the team long enough that even if he leaves, it will still be okay to wear that jersey.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-19-2003, 11:21 AM

Going to Soxfest? There's a booth where I had a number put on a jersey there last year. Just drop it off early and give them plenty of time. Last year it got busy and the wait was about 5 hours.

hose
01-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
I have an old Jordan jersey, which is now framed and up on my wall. But besides that, I will never get a jersey with a players name on it. Too much team swapping, but if you looking for nostalgia, I'd go with Frank. He has been with the team long enough that even if he leaves, it will still be okay to wear that jersey.

I bought a Sox jersey 2 years ago at the garage sale, which btw, is March 8, at Comiskey. These are the actual jerseys the players wear in the game.

The cheapest one that was on the rack of a player still on the team was a #15 Josh Paul jersey for $65.
Some of the jerseys that were 2000 playoff worn, like Frank Thomas's, were very expensive.

After I bought it the Sox acquired Sandy Alomar jr. and he wanted the #15, so he ended up paying off Josh for the number.

The garage sale has all sorts of Sox stuff from the previous season. I think the jerseys prices are a bargain compared to retail outlets.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I leave my jerseys blank precisely because I would hate to wear a dated shirt with an ex-Sox ballplayer's name on it.

If you really want a name/number on the jersey, here's my suggestion: go with a ballplayer who retired and will forever be remembered fondly by Sox Fans.

The vest is a relatively recent jersey style so your choices are rather limited. Harold Baines' #3 ought to be a good choice. Darrin Jackson might be another.

If you're not hung up on the ballplayer ever actually wearing that style jersey, the choices are endless. Jack McDowell, Bo Jackson, or practically anyone from the Good Guys Wear Black era would be good choices.

Bad choices: John Kruk, Chris Sabo, and Mike Devereaux. :smile:

CHISOXFAN13
01-19-2003, 12:01 PM
As someone who has a Lofton, Durham and No. 44 Rowand jersey in my closet, I'd follow the other advice you were given on the board. Get a superstar (Maggs, Konerko, Thomas) or leave it plain.

A.T. Money
01-19-2003, 12:14 PM
I'm probably going to end up getting Frank.

But besides SoxFest, does anyone know of any good stores where I can get the jersey numbered and named?

voodoochile
01-19-2003, 12:18 PM

But besides SoxFest, does anyone know of any good stores where I can get the jersey numbered and named?

Just check the yellow pages under t-shirts, team apparel or clothing. Should be plenty of them listed. I know a place that does that stuff at about 6120 N Broadway (across from the Walgreens), but I don't know the name. If you live in the area, you can walk by and find it.

If possible, pay the extra money to have the letters and numbers stitched on. The iron on ones eventually wear out...

MarkEdward
01-19-2003, 12:46 PM

I think there's a place across from HawkQuarters on Michigan Ave. It's called "All Star Chicago Sports" or something like that. That's where I'm getting my Crede jersey lettered.

duke of dorwood
01-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Grandstand just west of the ballpark has done it for me.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-19-2003, 10:34 PM
If you are on the southwest side you may want to check if Santos Sporting Goods are still located on Archer Ave a bit south of Sacramento. I swear they must have had a zillion pro sport jackets in there. It was kind of weird the first time I went there. It was jerseys and jackets for every team on racks solid to a high ceiling.
Up here in McHenry county (cubnation) I unfortunately have to rely on Walmart for the usual "Property of the Chicago White Sox" shirt. That's why I love the convention. You can find a ton of different styles there.
:gulp:

nut_stock
01-19-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I leave my jerseys blank precisely because I would hate to wear a dated shirt with an ex-Sox ballplayer's name on it.

I agree. That's why I have never bought a jersey with a player's name on it. I did however put my last name and "99" (as in class of) n the back.

koch44
01-20-2003, 12:52 AM
I'll never get numbers on a jersey again, because some place tried to put Konerko on my jersey, and when I got the jersey bakc, the numbers and letter were too small.:(:

TheBigHurt
02-21-2003, 12:26 AM
has anyone else seen or have a frank thomas jersey with just 35 on back like mine????

TheBigHurt
02-21-2003, 12:30 AM

yup go ahead with Big Frank

Kid Kip
02-21-2003, 04:45 PM
at least it was useful in taunting ritchie.

TheBigHurt
02-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
at least it was useful in taunting ritchie.

lolllllllllllllll

Chrisaway
02-22-2003, 04:07 AM
I have a lettered/numbered black frank jersey and a grey #23 jersey (Ventura). I'll try and get you the number of the place where I get my hockey jerseys lettered.

XbruticusX727@aol.com

hsnterprize
02-23-2003, 02:29 PM

Here's what I would do...get your own name and number on the back of the jersey. You can't be traded, and the jersey will always be up to date unless the Sox change jerseys in the next few years (God forbid).

As far as where I'd go to get the name/number put on, I'd recommend Hildebrand's Sporting Goods in Broadview on Roosevelt Road if that's not too far from where you live. I've been going to that sporting goods store since I was a kid, and they do a really good job on jerseys. Just make sure you're specific on the color scheme and such...hold them accountable to how you want the stitching done.