PDA

View Full Version : All Star game and Player Selection

OEO Magglio
01-19-2003, 02:07 AM
If the players association agree with Bud's proposed plan, and the allstar winner has the homefield advantage for the world series, then I think the rule that every team must have a player selected, definetly has to go, if the allstar game has a lot of effect on something that important, the allstar manager has to be able to pick the players they think deserve to be there, not the ones that have to be there, cause they are the best on their team. I'm not saying this will happen, cause I know it won't but I think it's a must if the players association excepts.

gogosoxgogo
01-19-2003, 02:25 AM
couldn't agree more. I absolutely hate that stupid rule. It keeps deserving players off of the All Star Rosters. They'll also have to get rid of the manager that went to the WS in the previous year manages the all star game - instead it should be the current manager of the team that went to the world series in the previous year.

upnorthsox
01-19-2003, 09:48 AM
They can go back to the old way when the rep didn't neccessarily have to be a player. The '81 Scrub team was so bad that their lone rep was the groundskeeper.

fuzzy_patters
01-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Since the new All Star rules are supposed to add incentive to winning the game, the managers should no longer be the previous year's world series managers. Instead, the managers should be the two with the best record in the current year as they have the most incentive to win the game. For all we know the Angels may suck this year.

PaleHoseGeorge
01-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by OEO Magglio
If the players association agree with Bud's proposed plan, and the allstar winner has the homefield advantage for the world series, then I think the rule that every team must have a player selected, definetly has to go, if the allstar game has a lot of effect on something that important, the allstar manager has to be able to pick the players they think deserve to be there, not the ones that have to be there, cause they are the best on their team. I'm not saying this will happen, cause I know it won't but I think it's a must if the players association excepts.

I've been saying this exact thing since Selig made his original proposal. It's assinine to force either manager to take a player from the Flubs or Devil Dogs simply because the rules require one representative from even the crappiest teams. The game is now meant to be won. Let the manager fill in the reserves with the guys that best help him win it.

I'm in favor of every team having at least one representative in homerun derby and/or the future stars game. This way every team's fans have somebody to root for. Besides, if a manager is playing to win, lots of reserves probably won't get into the ASG game. This is a good thing. The game is meant to be won! Fans in Tampa will be even more pissed if their one and only representative spends the entire nine innings on the bench, never to get into the game.

Baseball fans, we're facing a major paradigm shift. The old rules for how to play the all-star game are HISTORY. It's time to adjust our thinking about how the game should be played and our acceptance of the rules MLB enforces.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Instead, the managers should be the two with the best record in the current year as they have the most incentive to win the game.

thats what i like. the nba does this still i believe and it works.