PDA

View Full Version : Ritchie took less money

nut_stock
01-18-2003, 11:48 PM
He signed with the Brewers for less money than what the Sox were offering him to come back. Phil Rogers wrote this in his latest column on chicagosports.com. Apparently Kenny told him that.

I find that a little interesting, since the Sox actually have a chance and the Brewers suck.

rmusacch
01-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
He signed with the Brewers for less money than what the Sox were offering him to come back. Phil Rogers wrote this in his latest column on chicagosports.com. Apparently Kenny told him that.

I find that a little interesting, since the Sox actually have a chance and the Brewers suck.

Maybe he felt that he needed a fresh start and that he was guaranteed to start in Milwaukee, a guarnantee that he would not have here.

RedPinStripes
01-19-2003, 12:00 AM
With the way we treated him, would you want to stay?

And i'm sure mgt. wasnt much better toward him.

WinningUgly!
01-19-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock

He couldn't hack it in the AL. :D:
I'm sure knowing Clayton is out there behind him factored in to his decision, as well.

bc2k
01-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I'm sure knowing Clayton is out there behind him factored in to his decision, as well.

That's pretty good.

It actually worked out best for the Sox since we probably wouldn't have gotten Colon had Ritchie signed.

DrCrawdad
01-19-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
He couldn't hack it in the AL. :D:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565200.jpg
What's up with those moves? Nobody is saying, but the educated guess is that starting pitchers are steering away from the AL because of the beating National League imports like Chan Ho Park and Ritchie took last year. If a starter has a choice, the NL has to look much more attractive.

RKMeibalane
01-19-2003, 10:03 AM
The 1-2 punch of the Milwaukee Brewers:

:hitless :ritchie

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 10:14 AM
dont forget MIL gave the 2 ex Sox players a world series mvp incentive. im sure todd and royce factored the fact the the brewers have a real good chance to go to the WS this year into thier choice.

RKMeibalane
01-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
dont forget MIL gave the 2 ex Sox players a world series mvp incentive. im sure todd and royce factored the fact the the brewers have a real good chance to go to the WS this year into thier choice.

A World Series MVP incentive? Are you kidding? Royce Clayton should have a .200-batting-average incentive in his contract, and Ritchie should have one for an ERA below five. Just when I thought the Brewers couldn't get any worse...

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
A World Series MVP incentive? Are you kidding? Royce Clayton should have a .200-batting-average incentive in his contract, and Ritchie should have one for an ERA below five. Just when I thought the Brewers couldn't get any worse...

they also gave it to Dave Mlicki, Keith Osik, & Valerio De Los Santos.

RKMeibalane
01-19-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
they also gave it to Dave Mlicki, Keith Osik, & Valerio De Los Santos.

This sounds like something Reinsdorf would do. Even if the Brewers somehow make it to the World Series, I find it highly unlikely that any of those players will win the MVP award. Therefore, Brewers management doesn't have to pay the extra money.