PDA

View Full Version : Cub Fan Colon Concerns

DrCrawdad
01-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Have you noticed the concern that many Cub fans have about the Sox obtaining Colon?

I hear their worry about Colon on sports talk radio and on the Cubs MLB board. It's funny too because so often I hear Cub fans saying that they don't care at all about the Sox. Now the Sox bring in one of the top pitchers in baseball and many are desperating trying to poke holes in the deal.

On the Cubs MLB board poster "Tehmpus" is posturing with the following:

In short, the Black Sox vastly overpayed for an old starter.

In a market where teams have been signing players at a lower value than normal, Kenny Williams managed to overpay yet again. So, I consider this trade to be a bad one for the Black Sox. It's amusing how so many fans are getting excited after getting the shaft in a trade. Wait a second.. they were excited after getting the shaft in the Todd Richie trade as well. I guess that's Sox fans for ya...

...The Sox gave up 4 players, plus cash for one year of Bartolo Colon. This sounds a little like the Houstan trade that got one year of Randy Johnson, but Colon is no Randy Johnson.

Better trade: Lieber (98) or Colon (03) (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cubs&msg=32628.1&ctx=0)

It's funny how many Cub fans love Sox players, once they're traded. Cub fans now say that Osuna, Biddle and Liefer are studs and the Sox gave away the house.

How many Sox fans think the Sox lost on the Colon trade? How many so-called experts think the Sox lost on the deal?

Me think some Cub fans are truly worried about the Sox now.

- DrCrawdad.

hose
01-18-2003, 03:25 PM
The Colon trade was a steal by Kenny Williams.

Jjav829
01-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Wow. Really...wow. That's just pure stupidity. The Sox gave up little in this trade. I would have driven Liefer, Osuna, Biddle, and Lantigua to the airport to get Colon if I knew that it would happen. What morons.

Another stupid quote from a Cubs fan.

Actually the White Sox traded Orlando Hernadez plus Rocky Biddle and Jeff Liefer to the Expos, so when you look at it like that the Lieber trade is a much better one because we didnt give up a player the caliber of El Duque for Colon, and as a matter of fact id almost rather have El Duque than Colon.

TornLabrum
01-18-2003, 03:46 PM
The only possible negative I can find with the Colon trade is that the Sox may announce in the next couple of days that Osuna will be replaced by ex-sCrUB Tom Gordon.

bc2k
01-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The only possible negative I can find with the Colon trade is that the Sox may announce in the next couple of days that Osuna will be replaced by ex-sCrUB Tom Gordon.

I'm looking forward to the signing of Tom Gordon. I dismissed him as an injured scrub until I had a talk with a Cubs fan on my floor. He was impressed with Gordon's last two weeks with the Cubs and the rest of the season with Houston. I don't like to make a habit of following someone else's opinion, but this guy knows his s---.

MetalliSox
01-18-2003, 05:53 PM
Just ask a Cub fan about their concerns over their starting infield of Bellhorn, Gonzalez, Hill, and Karros/Choi.
That should be their only concern.

If they think they will be better then St. Louis and Houston's IF, they should be arrested for possession.

RKMeibalane
01-18-2003, 06:02 PM
I made a post similar to this last summer. It's amazing how Cubs fans always seem to have the White Sox on thier minds. I've never understood that. They talk about how much they hate the Sox and us, yet they're always on the lookout for any interesting Sox news. Is it jealousy? An inferiority complex? Hmm...

TornLabrum
01-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I'm looking forward to the signing of Tom Gordon. I dismissed him as an injured scrub until I had a talk with a Cubs fan on my floor. He was impressed with Gordon's last two weeks with the Cubs and the rest of the season with Houston. I don't like to make a habit of following someone else's opinion, but this guy knows his s---.

Cubs fan who knows his s***? That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

:woo-woo

"S***, WOO!"

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-18-2003, 08:53 PM
I think with any moron it will be a natural defense to say this trade was bad. Look who you are dealing with when talking about the cubs, the doormat of major league baseball. These are the same fans that cheer their team when they lose. Sosa hits a pop up and the whole park jumps to their feet. For the most part 90% of the fans know nothing about the game but know everything about designer shades and what sun-block to wear in the bleachers. I have in-laws that openly admit that they don't care what they put on the field as long as the girls are wearing bikini tops to the ballgame. Lets face it, they are born losers.
As with any immature fan, they always come back at you like a kid on the playground.
I browse the AOL Baseball message boards now and then and there is a thousand Red Sox fans saying over and over again, how much we suck! Could they possibly be envious? I admit though myself, if the cubs would have gotten Colon, it would have bothered me.

Good Guys Wear Black!

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Cubs fan who knows his s***? That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

:woo-woo

"S***, WOO!"

I forgot to mention, WOO WOO was at the convention last year on Saturday in complete cub attire. If this guy shows up can we do something about it? Who who is with me?

:gulp:

Daver
01-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
I forgot to mention, WOO WOO was at the convention last year on Saturday in complete cub attire. If this guy shows up can we do something about it? Who who is with me?

I'll be more than happy to loan you the hardware...........

Tragg
01-18-2003, 09:08 PM
We're dealing with an element that claimed injuries to players like Bill Mueller and Julian Taveres turned a 90 win club into a 68 win club.

mrwag
01-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I made a post similar to this last summer. It's amazing how Cubs fans always seem to have the White Sox on thier minds. I've never understood that. They talk about how much they hate the Sox and us, yet they're always on the lookout for any interesting Sox news. Is it jealousy? An inferiority complex? Hmm...
I hate to say this, but us Sox fans sorta do the same too.

There has to be some jealousy, because our off-season moves actually seem to be bettering the club, while the Cubs continue to throw $$$ on the field to try to win. Let's see - they got Baker, we got Colon.. Hmm. I definately think we got the better deal!

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by daver
I'll be more than happy to loan you the hardware...........

Will this be a group activity?

I grew up in a southside neigborhood that was VERY Sox and little cub. The two cub fans got a daily dose of ass whooping. We hunted in a group.

OEO Magglio
01-18-2003, 10:00 PM

Funny I was just thinking about that, why the hell was he there last year, I think if he shows up this year, lets just personally go up to him and throw him out of the hotel ourselves.

doublem23
01-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool

Hey man... The crackhead showed up to my high school graduation. Thank God for all the will power I have or I might have been expelled 2 hours before getting my diploma.

:)

gogosoxgogo
01-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Back to the original post, did he say Colon is old? If 29 years old is considered over the hill, then I don't know what to call the El Duque they'd rather have!

Also, who is this Woo Woo guy I hear a lot of on here?

RedPinStripes
01-18-2003, 10:51 PM
The Sox could trade Sandy Alomar for Nomar and Cub fans would still say we got shafted.

We cant talk too much though. We do go out of our way to bash the cubs also.

Not that it's a bad thing. :smile:

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
Back to the original post, did he say Colon is old? If 29 years old is considered over the hill, then I don't know what to call the El Duque they'd rather have!

Also, who is this Woo Woo guy I hear a lot of on here?

Go back earlier on this post. Woo woo's picture is there. He is the guy that you hear at cubs games going woo, yea, woo, hey, woo, we are losers, woo, grace, woo, sammy, woo, we lose, woo, we santo, woo, we're dumbies. Plus I think Mike North had a fund raiser to get the guy some new teeth. I saw him at the convention last year when he showed up in the one room to ask Kenny Williams a questions in the q&a session. Kenny just ifnored him when he got to the microphone. He really did make an idiot out of himself.
cheers, this is the year!

gogosoxgogo
01-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
The Sox could trade Sandy Alomar for Nomar and Cub fans would still say we got shafted.

We cant talk too much though. We do go out of our way to bash the cubs also.

Not that it's a bad thing. :smile:

We're realistic in doing so though. I can at least admit when the Cubs made a good trade (for example, getting SOMETHING more than a pile of dog **** for Todd Hundley was a good move). They are just extremely closed minded.

RKMeibalane
01-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by mrwag

I agree with that. In fact, I just made a post in The Parking Lot about Cubs Fest. I do have a casual interest in what the Cubs do, because they are one of the Sox biggest rivals. The same holds true for Minnesota, Oakland, the Yankees, Seattle, etc. I do think about the Cubs sometimes. Then I throw up.

SouthSideHitman
01-19-2003, 06:56 PM
Cubs fans are clearly just trying to make themselves feel better about their lackluster offseason (ohh, Beck Grudzelanik and Karros, wow they must really want that division crown). They should just have the class to admit when the Sox do make a good deal (and given their limited class its a good thing that it doesn't happen that often). In fact, most experts in the baseball community that I have heard, from Nyer to Staryk have said this is a major upgrade that puts the Sox in serious contention. But my personal favorite reaction has to be Jonah Keri from Baseball Prospectus.

"In the wake of the trade, Williams has instantly gone from embarrassment to weighing membership offers from Mensa in the eyes of many."

So please, this may not be the greatest trade of the last decade but considering Lieber brought the flubs maybe one-and-a-half good to mediocore years and this could land the Sox in October, don't talk northsiders.

lighttowerpower1
01-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by mrwag

There has to be some jealousy, because our off-season moves actually seem to be bettering the club, while the Cubs continue to throw $$$ on the field to try to win. Let's see - they got Baker, we got Colon.. Hmm. I definately think we got the better deal!

cub fans are basically saying that exchanging Biddle, Osuna, and Batboy for Colon is not making us a better team? That is about as dumb as us saying that Dusty Baker is not as good a manager as Don Baylor or Kim. We don't say it because we know that the truth is that Baker is actually a good pick up for the cubs. In fact, I am a little jealous, because he is actually probably a better manager than ours. Speaking of the cubs, how do you think that heehee sup choi is going to do this year? is this guy the next babe ruth or what? :andy

bfauble83
01-20-2003, 08:30 AM
I love the Colon deal...I was NEVER fond of the Ritchie deal.

harwar
01-20-2003, 08:51 AM
I think its pretty funny that they should be envious of us,considering that they out-number us 3-1(or more),and get all the attention.I follow what the cubs do but i REALLY hate cub fans.I grew up on the southside but i was the youngest cousin of many cub fans who grew up on the northside.If we do go all the way(dangerous talk)then i'm going to have some fun.

Hangar18
01-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Yes, I saw Woo-Woo at SoxFest last year also, I almost did a double take. I actually took a picture with him, because I knew
noone would believe me he was there (in full cub garb, uniform, jacket, cap) I believe hes actually mentally retarded.
I see him around, and I give him the business, but hes mostly
harmless

Hangar18
01-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Cubs are the Hobo-give-us-your-handouts-were-bums-and-take-anything-we-can-get-find-us-in-the-alley-digging-thru-the-Sox & MLBs-trash-for-food(players,announcers,scouts)
perfect examples of the Handouts theyve received.

Marlins: Alfatseca, Clement
Sox : Bobby"million-dollar" Hill, HarryCaray, Ivy, Sosa
Pirates: you know who
Giants: Bill Mueller, Dusty
Twins: Mark "I need 10million bucks" Prior

on a side note, I HOPE BOBBY BROWNLIE JAMS THE CUBS,
and gives them a taste of their own medicine....and rejects
their final offer today...(fingers crossed)

balz1472
01-20-2003, 04:40 PM
My best friend lives in Cleveland and is a die-hard Indian fan. We have had man full-out arguments just like I've had with really bright cubs fans. If you can actually call anyone a CUB fan.

Anyway, to my point... he has always been the first to rip the Sox for the moves that they've made because he always feels that the tribe will whoop our butts. In this case, however, he was all about the Sox...

"Man, I was thinking that the Tribe was going to have a chance to catch your piss-pour team this year even with our lineup. Then I get home from being on the road for the past couple of weeks and I find out that you guys signed Colon. That is huge. You guys will probably win the division now and even contend with those losers from the Bronx. Save me some playoff tix..."

TornLabrum
01-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yes, I saw Woo-Woo at SoxFest last year also, I almost did a double take. I actually took a picture with him, because I knew
noone would believe me he was there (in full cub garb, uniform, jacket, cap) I believe hes actually mentally retarded.
I see him around, and I give him the business, but hes mostly
harmless

Woo-Woo was at SoxFest on Sunday a couple of years ago, too, in full Cubs regalia and no teeth.

soxruleEP
01-21-2003, 05:09 PM
And for the really disgusting Woo-Woo sighting: upper deck Comiskey at the Saturday SCrubs game SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS!

How big a loser do you have to be to want Roonie Woo-Woo's autograph?