PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Baker in Cubs uni for ASG?


HawkDJ
01-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know if Dusty Baker will wear a Cubs uniform or a Giants uniform when he manages the All Star Game this year. Unless he declines, he will be the NL manager. That would be very very bad to see a Cubs manager in the All Star Game at COMISKEY, as if the Cubs had gone to the World Series. Hopefully they stick him in a Giants uni for one day.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-18-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Does anyone know if Dusty Baker will wear a Cubs uniform or a Giants uniform when he manages the All Star Game this year. Unless he declines, he will be the NL manager. That would be very very bad to see a Cubs manager in the All Star Game at COMISKEY, as if the Cubs had gone to the World Series. Hopefully they stick him in a Giants uni for one day.

well atleast the other 29 clubs and their fans will know it is for what he did last season with the giants, not the cubs. the cub fans however will think it has something to do with them when it really doesent.

doublem23
01-18-2003, 11:33 AM
Who cares? It's just an exhibition game anyway.

Hangar18
01-18-2003, 12:00 PM
I WAS JUST GOING TO START A THREAD FOR THIS!!!!!
I TOTALLY DISAGREE with him MANAGING THE NL ALL-STARS!!!!!
I DISAGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
It should be the manager of the TEAM that went to the series,
not the Manager after he left that TEAM. so Felipe ALOU should manage the team. 2nd Choice would be the other team in the NLCS which was TONY LARUSSA of the Cardinals. ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT IS PREPOSTEROUS. The cubs were so far away from the world series, they DONT DESERVE anyone in their uniform PICKING PLAYERS. ALSO, WHAT IM AFRAID OF, is that HE IS GOING TO LOAD THE NL WITH ALL CUBS ON THAT TEAM. WATCH. only guy on that team that should be on the NL squad is Sosa. THATS IT....but if Baker is picked, these players will also be on the team. ALOU, Mark "I need 10 million dollars even though I havnt thrown one professional pitch" PRIOR, WOOD, REMLINGER, VERES, IROD (when he "falls" in their laps) to name a few. even Bobby "Million Dollar" Hill has a shot now. What a Farce. NO WAY baker should be there. THE ALL STAR GAME MANAGERIAL DUTIES HAVE LONG BEEN THE SPOILS OF THE WORLD SERIES TEAMS. now we get to see a TON OF CUBS in our own park just because theres no Commissioner to rule out this Nonsense? just because he USED TO BE THE MGR??? THATS A LOAD OF B freakin' S. sorry, im very upset at that notion.
Growing up, I always knew that at AllStar time, I wouldnt ever have to Worry about a Cub Mgr managing the AllStar team, because THEY WILL NEVER HAVE MADE IT THERE IN THE 1st Place.
Now...they get in on a Fluke Technicality???
thats just Cublike. Thats reason 9,238 why i hate that team.
Talk about the the Wino Bum seeing the back door of the elegant restaurant open and Sneaking In and Getting another Free Meal.
Cubs yet again are the bum getting the Free Handout (Clement, Prior, Alfonseca,Hill, McGriff, Grudzelianek, Karras, AllStar Managing honors, media attention) makes me sick.

voodoochile
01-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I WAS JUST GOING TO START A THREAD FOR THIS!!!!!
I TOTALLY DISAGREE with him MANAGING THE NL ALL-STARS!!!!!
I DISAGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
It should be the manager of the TEAM that went to the series,
not the Manager after he left that TEAM. so Felipe ALOU should manage the team. 2nd Choice would be the other team in the NLCS which was TONY LARUSSA of the Cardinals. ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT IS PREPOSTEROUS. The cubs were so far away from the world series, they DONT DESERVE anyone in their uniform PICKING PLAYERS. ALSO, WHAT IM AFRAID OF, is that HE IS GOING TO LOAD THE NL WITH ALL CUBS ON THAT TEAM. WATCH. only guy on that team that should be on the NL squad is Sosa. THATS IT....but if Baker is picked, these players will also be on the team. ALOU, Mark "I need 10 million dollars even though I havnt thrown one professional pitch" PRIOR, WOOD, REMLINGER, VERES, IROD (when he "falls" in their laps) to name a few. even Bobby "Million Dollar" Hill has a shot now. What a Farce. NO WAY baker should be there. THE ALL STAR GAME MANAGERIAL DUTIES HAVE LONG BEEN THE SPOILS OF THE WORLD SERIES TEAMS. now we get to see a TON OF CUBS in our own park just because theres no Commissioner to rule out this Nonsense? just because he USED TO BE THE MGR??? THATS A LOAD OF B freakin' S. sorry, im very upset at that notion.
Growing up, I always knew that at AllStar time, I wouldnt ever have to Worry about a Cub Mgr managing the AllStar team, because THEY WILL NEVER HAVE MADE IT THERE IN THE 1st Place.
Now...they get in on a Fluke Technicality???
thats just Cublike. Thats reason 9,238 why i hate that team.
Talk about the the Wino Bum seeing the back door of the elegant restaurant open and Sneaking In and Getting another Free Meal.
Cubs yet again are the bum getting the Free Handout (Clement, Prior, Alfonseca,Hill, McGriff, Grudzelianek, Karras, AllStar Managing honors, media attention) makes me sick.

I don't think it is that big of a deal, but I agree, it should be awarded to the team, not the person.

Question: How often has a team reached the WS and then let the manager walk away?

jortafan
01-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't think it is that big of a deal, but I agree, it should be awarded to the team, not the person.

Question: How often has a team reached the WS and then let the manager walk away?

The '78 Yankees won the World Series, then fired manager Bob Lemon early during '79.
For that matter, they won the series in '77 and fired Billy Martin during '78, replacing him with Lemon.

Personally, I'd love it if Tony LaRussa would manage the National League team at the Comiskey-based All Star game. But it would also be fun to see a Baker-managed National League team lose at Comiskey. For once, I'll have a reason to care about the outcome of the game.

RKMeibalane
01-18-2003, 12:58 PM
This will be the only time a Cubs manager will manage in the All Star Game, because that team is never going to the World Series.

DVG
01-18-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't think it is that big of a deal, but I agree, it should be awarded to the team, not the person.

Question: How often has a team reached the WS and then let the manager walk away?

In 1964, the Yankees and Cardinals were in the World Series,
managed by Yogi Berra and Johnny Keane, respectively. After
the series, the Yankees fired Yogi Berra and replaced him with
Keane, who had resigned from the Cardinals.

For the 1965 All-Star game, since neither WS manager was still
with his same team, the All-Star managers were the managers
of the 1964 league runners-up: Gene Mauch of the Phillies and
Al Lopez of the White Sox. If MLB sticks to this precedent, then
the NL manager SHOULD be Tony LaRussa. That wouldn't be
the brainless thing to do, so don't expect it to happen.

WinningUgly!
01-19-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Does anyone know if Dusty Baker will wear a Cubs uniform or a Giants uniform when he manages the All Star Game this year. Unless he declines, he will be the NL manager. That would be very very bad to see a Cubs manager in the All Star Game at COMISKEY, as if the Cubs had gone to the World Series. Hopefully they stick him in a Giants uni for one day.

He's lucky he won't be wearing an orange DOC uniform with all of his tax problems. :)

MisterB
01-19-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by DVG
In 1964, the Yankees and Cardinals were in the World Series,
managed by Yogi Berra and Johnny Keane, respectively. After
the series, the Yankees fired Yogi Berra and replaced him with
Keane, who had resigned from the Cardinals.

For the 1965 All-Star game, since neither WS manager was still
with his same team, the All-Star managers were the managers
of the 1964 league runners-up: Gene Mauch of the Phillies and
Al Lopez of the White Sox. If MLB sticks to this precedent, then
the NL manager SHOULD be Tony LaRussa. That wouldn't be
the brainless thing to do, so don't expect it to happen.

Not quite the same situation. The more applicable precedent would be 1974, when Dick Williams managed the AL all-star team despite going from the A's to the Angels after the '73 season.

Edit: correction - Williams didn't start the year as the Angels manager, he managed their last 84 games. Not sure if that means he was hired before, during, or after the all-star break. If it was after, he managed the game even though he wasn't managing a ML team at the time.