PDA

View Full Version : Koch/Sox exchange arbitration numbers


gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 08:20 PM
From whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030117&content_id=192382&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Koch has filed for 5.9 million. KW and the Sox counter offered at 4.25 million. Also went on to talk about how the Sox are still looking to sign him long term. The article ends with a little Q and A with Billy. When he enters the game, he says we can expect to hear, "'Fuel' by Metallica. Because Metallica is the best band to ever walk the face of the earth."

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Here's (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030117&content_id=192349&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp) a list of a whole bunch of arbitration figures.

SoxRulecubsdrool
01-17-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
From whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030117&content_id=192382&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Koch has filed for 5.9 million. KW and the Sox counter offered at 4.25 million. Also went on to talk about how the Sox are still looking to sign him long term. The article ends with a little Q and A with Billy. When he enters the game, he says we can expect to hear, "'Fuel' by Metallica. Because Metallica is the best band to ever walk the face of the earth."

After our wedding and my wife and I got in the limo, I tuned in the stereo and FUEL was playing. Ever since then I have been trying to convince her that is our song. It will be cool at the park this summer when we're wrapping up a win to hear that jamming through the park. My wife and I can look back at our wonderful life together. :(: :(:

MetalliSox
01-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
From whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030117&content_id=192382&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

Koch has filed for 5.9 million. KW and the Sox counter offered at 4.25 million. Also went on to talk about how the Sox are still looking to sign him long term. The article ends with a little Q and A with Billy. When he enters the game, he says we can expect to hear, "'Fuel' by Metallica. Because Metallica is the best band to ever walk the face of the earth."

Koch would be correct. "...And Justice For All" has to be one of the greatest albums ever IMO.

Iwritecode
01-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Koch would be correct. "...And Justice For All" has to be one of the greatest albums ever IMO.

No, "...And Justice For All" has to be one of the longest albums ever. Out of all their albums, I really like that one the least. Although "One" is a great song.

Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
After our wedding and my wife and I got in the limo, I tuned in the stereo and FUEL was playing. Ever since then I have been trying to convince her that is our song. It will be cool at the park this summer when we're wrapping up a win to hear that jamming through the park. My wife and I can look back at our wonderful life together.

I did one better. "Nothing Else Matters" was the first song my wife and I danced to after we were married. We actually had to use our own CD cause the DJ didn't have it in his collection. For some reason it's not an oft requested wedding song...

Daver
01-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
No, "...And Justice For All" has to be one of the longest albums ever. Out of all their albums, I really like that one the least. Although "One" is a great song.



I did one better. "Nothing Else Matters" was the first song my wife and I danced to after we were married. We actually had to use our own CD cause the DJ didn't have it in his collection. For some reason it's not an oft requested wedding song...

I don't think I have ever heard a Metallica song..............

gogosoxgogo
01-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by daver
I don't think I have ever heard a Metallica song..............

same. Don't like their type of music. I was kind of disapointed when I saw that Koch wanted that song. But then again, I can't really pass judgement on something I haven't heard yet, so I'll try to keep an open mind.

MikeKreevich
01-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by daver
I don't think I have ever heard a Metallica song..............
How about Ted Nugent?

Iwritecode
01-17-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by daver
I don't think I have ever heard a Metallica song..............

That's ok, I don't think I've ever heard a song by that Guthrie guy you mentioned in another thread...

Daver
01-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
How about Ted Nugent?

I have heard Ted's music,aside from "Song for Fred Bear" I can take it or leave it.

The world needs more Jug Band music.

:)

Tragg
01-17-2003, 10:10 PM
This is crazy - we are offering koch more money than we offered MB - a lot more.

Iwritecode
01-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by daver
The world needs more Jug Band music.

:)

I would say that needs to be in teal but I do believe you're serious...

Daver
01-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I would say that needs to be in teal but I do believe you're serious...

Are you saying the world doesn't need more jug band music?

:)

MisterB
01-17-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
This is crazy - we are offering koch more money than we offered MB - a lot more.

That's arbitration. The Sox didn't offer MB that kind of dough because they don't have to yet. With Koch asking for $5.9 mil, the Sox have to offer something that they can justify at the arbitration hearing. Next year when Buehrle is eliglible, management will have to offer him MUCH more.

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
No, "...And Justice For All" has to be one of the longest albums ever. Out of all their albums, I really like that one the least. Although "One" is a great song.



I did one better. "Nothing Else Matters" was the first song my wife and I danced to after we were married. We actually had to use our own CD cause the DJ didn't have it in his collection. For some reason it's not an oft requested wedding song...

my fav metallica song is "whiskey in the jar." it just kicks but. if you listen to it to much it might make you want blow something up however.

nut_stock
01-18-2003, 12:02 AM
I would have liked to seen Koch pick EnterSandman by Metallica. I know its probably been overplayed on the radio, but I still have not got tired of hearing it. I love that song.

voodoochile
01-18-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by daver
I have heard Ted's music,aside from "Song for Fred Bear" I can take it or leave it.

The world needs more Jug Band music.

:)

No WAY! "Great White Buffalo" is one of the all time classics. You mean, you don't actually listen to Ted Nugent? Has the world gone mad?

bc2k
01-18-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
From whitesox.com (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030117&content_id=192382&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp)

When he enters the game, he says we can expect to hear, "'Fuel' by Metallica. Because Metallica is the best band to ever walk the face of the earth."

Metallica is one of the top three bands ever. Metallica is the fuel, the fire, that I which desire.

Tragg
01-18-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
That's arbitration. The Sox didn't offer MB that kind of dough because they don't have to yet. With Koch asking for $5.9 mil, the Sox have to offer something that they can justify at the arbitration hearing. Next year when Buehrle is eliglible, management will have to offer him MUCH more.

That makes sense; however, if we would open up more today, wouldn't we save money tomorrow? i.e. the contract would be less if we didn't wait for arbitration.
In addition, no way is koch worth 5.9 million - he isn't worth much more than 4, imo.
Another way to look at it, i suppose, is that this is a critical year in pitcher development. How Wright, Garland and Rauch fare might have a lot to do with our decisions on the more seasoned vets.

Foulke You
01-18-2003, 11:37 AM
So Kochy is a Metallica fan? I like him already! :D: So will Paul Konerko who often uses his "entrance" music to the plate with "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Ain't my Bitch" by Metallica and sometimes Paulie will go with "Hell's Bells" by AC/DC. Metallica is the greatest metal band of all time. The self titled "Black" album is one of the finest rock albums ever crafted.

A sidenote, wouldn't it be funny if Koch ends up with more money then what they would have had to pay for Foulke? So much for that great money saving plan of sending Keith to the A's.

ihatethecubs
01-18-2003, 06:57 PM
any newer metallica sucks. they were best with cliff burton

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I would have liked to seen Koch pick EnterSandman by Metallica. I know its probably been overplayed on the radio, but I still have not got tired of hearing it. I love that song.

Konerko has used that before too.

fuzzy_patters
01-19-2003, 12:02 PM
my fav metallica song is "whiskey in the jar." it just kicks but. if you listen to it to much it might make you want blow something up however.

Actually, that song was a Thin Lizzy song that Metallica covered. Both versions are great.

duke of dorwood
01-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Strange, they have to give Foulke 6 mill.

Their stats are similar, before last year when Koch's were much better, and they make a low offer like that.

Whats with that?

And I like Metallica and jug band music too

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Actually "wiskey in a Jar" is an old Irish Drinking song, which thin lizzy and Metalica both covered.

doctor30th
01-19-2003, 03:15 PM
And personally I liked when Konerko came up to the plate to "Big Pimpin' " by Jay-Z. Always made me laugh.